The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Shaggs_76

Which Lee Safety Prime kit for my Lee 4 hole Turret Press?

Ok, I bought a used Lee 4 hole auto-indexing turret press that is in really good shape and fully functional. It didn't come with the safety prime setup so I went to buy one and there are two options. You select a kit based on if your press is pre-2006 or post 2006 production. I've Googled like crazy and searched this forum and it doesn't seem to have been discussed. I've read on some forums that if you get the wrong one it won't work. I've looked over my press and don't see any type of marking to indicate a date manufactured. Is there some type of cosmetic way to tell which timeframe my press falls into? I bought used and don't have any way of knowing how long the previous owner had it but I'd prefer not to buy the wrong Lee Safety Priming system. I'll post some pics taken with my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130303_202306 (2).jpg (211.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 20130303_202317.jpg (198.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 20130303_202336.jpg (202.8 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Shaggs_76; March 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

I think you have the Lee "Four Hole Turret Press", not the "Classic Turret". The handle is the most-obvious difference (the Classic has a constant-diameter steel handle, not the tapered handle like yours.)

The "Safety Prime" system should work with post-2006 Lee presses that use the "Lever Prime System". Did your press come with these attachments that hook into the ram? If so, yours has the Lever Prime System and should work with the Safety Prime.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; March 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Shaggs_76

Ok, I made the change to reflect it's not the classic version. It did come with a piece similar to what you have pictured. It's one metal piece shaped like a T that has the springs on both sides of the T. I believe that your right that the safety prime system will work. The main confusion for me is there are two versions and only the right one will work depending on what year the press is made.

Option 1 = presses made after 2006
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/548...eloading-press

Option 2 = presses made before 2006
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/152...eloading-press

Not sure how to tell how old my press is?
Old March 3, 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

The only difference between the two kits is that the one for pre-2006 presses comes with a new ram and a replacement support beam to basically change it into a post-2006 press. The actual Safety Prime system is the same in both kits.

I'm not familiar with the pre-2006 presses, but if the piece that holds the primer doesn't look exactly like the ones in my picture, or if your current ram doesn't look like the one in the pre-2006 kit you linked to, you'll probably need the update kit.

EDIT - Yeah, you need the update kit (the one for pre-2006 presses). I found a picture of the priming arm you have (the single 'T' with the small primer holder on one end and the large primer holder on the other end), and that's NOT the "Lever Prime System".

The only other issue I forsee is that once you've gotten the Safety Prime kit that has the upgraded ram, you'll also need the Lever Prime arms like the ones in my picture. Lee has them in stock for $7 each. Note that there are two part numbers - one for small primers and one for large primers:

http://leeprecision.com/p-arm-assm-large.html

Last edited by ScottRiqui; March 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Shaggs_76

Excellent, thanks. I put the order in and can't wait to be fully indexing capable.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Shaggs_76

Ouch i jumped the gun and bought the after 2006 kit because the 4 whole turret on Midway looked the same as mine. You have better eyes I guess. I'll have to see if I can stop it before it ships.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:23 PM   #7
ScottRiqui

You're welcome. Follow the directions and take your time when mounting/adjusting the Safety Prime setup. If you have it set up correctly, it should transfer a primer from the feeder to the primer arm just about flawlessly. Once or twice out of a hundred, I'll have to activate the Safety Prime a second time to get a primer into the primer arm.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:29 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

Yeah, the Lee naming system on their auto-indexing turrets doesn't do anyone any favors. There's the "four hole turret" and the "Classic Turret". You may also see the Classic turret referred to as the "Classic Cast Turret", but it's the same thing.

The easiest way is usually to look at the handle - a black cylindrical steel handle means it's the Classic, while the tapered silver aluminum handle means it's the Four Hole. Of course, some of the pictures of the Four Hole show it with the roller handle upgrade, which just adds to the confusion.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:32 PM   #9
ScottRiqui

One other thing - you might not need to cancel the kit you've already ordered, depending on what types of rounds you're loading.

The post-2006 Safety Prime system is basically just the large & small primer holders and feed arms, along with the plastic mounting bits.

But if you're loading for several different calibers and using several different types of primers, it might be nice to have the extra holders and feed arms. For instance, you could keep one loaded with small pistol primers, one loaded with large pistol primers, one with small rifle and one with large rifle primers. Or maybe use one of the small primer setups for regular primers and the other small setup for magnum primers.

Just a thought in case it's too late to cancel your order - you might find that you like being able to keep three or four of the primer holders/feed arms loaded up and ready to go.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:37 PM   #10
Shaggs_76

Well it looks like Midway let me cancel the order and I redid it with the pre-2006 safety prime. I also order one small and one large of the lever arms from Lee since Midway didn't have them. Thanks for the help now hopefully it gets here soon and makes sense when it does!
Old March 3, 2013, 11:39 PM   #11
ScottRiqui

Well, post here with any questions or concerns. We're happy to help, and welcome to the forum!
Old March 3, 2013, 11:39 PM   #12
j357

I'll give you a bump to the top with a few things to explore. Remember, Google is your friend, and there is a search feature at the top of this page. You as a member should avail yourself of both benefits. Capisci?

I believe the 2006 cut off you are referencing to is related to the Lee Lever Prime system which is associated with the placement of a small lever which fits under the shell holder in the slot seen directly in front of your ram.

The L shaped lever drops in that slot, and actuates back and forth depending on ram stroke. At the top of the stroke the L is out all the way, wait for you to lever in a primer at the very top of the stroke. On the downward travel, the L moves in under the shell holder and positions under the primer pocket and presses the primer in the case.

My guess is that if it is your press in the picture, you will be good to go, as it has the slot for the L lever.

Remember your safety is your responsibility.

See the following picture from Lee:http://leeprecision.com/tp-safety-prime-up-kit.html the L levers I am referring to are in the the clear plastic bags in the bottom left of the picture.

This video will make it all clear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsXPFiesd3M
Old March 3, 2013, 11:43 PM   #13
ScottRiqui

Oooh - nice catch, j357 - it looks like the pre-2006 upgrade kit already includes the two $7 L-shaped arms for the Lever Prime System. The Midway page Shaggs posted to didn't show the Lever arms in the picture.

Shaggs, you might want to see if you can cancel the Lee order, unless you want the extra lever prime arms for spares.

Tags
lee safety prime , lee turret , safety prime , safety prime question