The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Ignition Override

If you Might Not carry, would you buy a Sig 232: first handgun?

Over twenty five hours were spent reading about Makarovs, the P-64, PPK and Sig 232, plus the Bersa, carry options etc.

Three times with a P-64 made me reconsider these other types. The same hour I first tried a friend's Bersa T. .380, same rural pasture. Much more pleasant than the P-64.
Cost is not an issue, within the range of these (prefer used). My first handgun will be FTF, west TN.

Being well aware of .22LR economics etc (I'm 57), are most buyers of a first handgun glad, in retrospect, after they have used any of these types, if they later decided Not to carry in their clothing?
My shirts are Always tucked in when not running, hot climate, no jacket worn when warm?

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Auto426

If I had no plan to carry, I'd opt for something a little larger and in one of the big three calibers: 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. A larger gun will be easier to shoot and learn with, and 9mm in particular is widely available and cheap for a center fire pistol round.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

If I had the spare cash, I would love a Sig 232, but this is because I find them beautiful to look at and pleasant to hold. I've never shot one, though.

However, for me, if I were to carry, there are better options, IMO: similarly small guns with more potent ammunition. (see post above).
I also have a soft spot for the Mak, too. I have considered buying one of those also.

Still comes down to the same thing. Neither would suit as a competition gun and there are more effective (IMO) options out there. As I can't afford to spend cash on multi hundred Euro indulgences, it is no go.

Such a purchase would purely be for the pleasure of ownership and associated fondling of the little gem!

If you have the money to spare or simply want one, then go for it.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:55 AM   #4
PSP

Am I glad I bought a P232? Oh yes! If fact I bought a bunch of them, but then... I collect and sometimes buy to have sets, but if I wanted a gun that I may or may not carry, the P232 is as good as any.

If you decide to carry it, then the lighter alloy model may be best. The stainless model is a good bit heavier. I carry one in a shoulder holster when my back problem causes me to stop wearing my usual CCW, a HK P2000sk.

Because this is your first gun however, IMHO, you may be better served by finding a moderately priced 9mm to shoot and practice with. This is a bad time to break into the gun culture as the current climate has driven prices high and made ammo scarce.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
bamaranger

P232

At least at one time the 230/232 was available in both steel and alloy frames. If you are intent on pocket carry, be sure and get a model that has an alloy frame and steel slide.

The steel/steel variety are a bit heavy and will droop a coat pocket or baggy clothing noticably.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Ignition Override

Thanks for the perspectives.
PSP: To clarify, I've owned seventeen rifles (milsurps), still have thirteen, but no Handguns. Luckily bought plenty of ammo before the elections in '08 and '12. Most of us realized that any tragedy would then be mercilessly exploited for cheap political points, in order to increase govt. control over Anything.

It just seems like it's time to have more than sporadic, very irregular exposure to handguns, which friends or strangers at the river bring along.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM.