The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Ignition Override

Cabela's Laser boresighter: flash hider/brightness?

My rifles have only iron sights, and I've never seen a bore sighter.

Would this single unit, which fits into many types of muzzles also go easily into an Enfield #5 or Spanish FR8?

If the gun remains on the bench, and you Walked To the target about 100 yards away (stand in front of it), would you be able to see the laser point on a bright day?
Old December 15, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2
*NOVA*

After looking at the few options Cabela's offered on their website, it appears their laser boresighter is very similar to the Bushnell Laser Boresight I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods in Sterling, Virginia, for about the same price. So I can not vouch for the Cabela's model, but I can say thet the Bushnell does work well enough indoors under most lighting situations you would find at a range. Bushnell must have taken heed to customer feedback because customer reviews complained about a cheap ON/OFF switch which was not present on mine. Its like they improved the model with a simple twist ON/OFF function around the end where the lens screws on, and the light was much brighter than what some folks were describing. The adapters come in various sizes which expand to to an almost infinite range of calibers. The tiny hex head screws used to attach the adapters are a PITA, but besides that it worked fine the first time I used it at the range. For $40.00 you get what you pay for. I have to admit it was much more precise than what I expected; you can rotate the boresight once it is loosely fitted inside the barrel and if it describes a circle on the target you can see how far off it is. Mine stayed fairly centered when rotated and my scope put my shots within 4" at 30 feet after aligning the scope with the boresight. Any decent boresight should be accurate enough to get you on paper at 30 feet.
Old December 15, 2011, 03:24 PM   #3
spacecoast

I seriously doubt that any red dot laser is going to be visible in daylight at 100 yards. Even in ideal conditions (near dark) the dot, if visible, might be too big to be of any use. I believe the boresighter is useful to get you on paper at shorter distances and you can use a spotting scope to go from there.
Old December 15, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
pturner67

you'll be lucky to see the red laser dot at 50 yards on a clear day...I've done this just recently...use it to sight in at 25 yards and you'll be surprisingly close to where you want to be
Old December 15, 2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Ignition Override

Thanks very much for the responses.

Instead, I'll buy my first headspace gauge for the Enfields.
This leads to the next new thread (at Surplusrifle: Enfield), as to whether the Field would be best for basic safety (?).