The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Shawn Dodson

RCBS Pro 2000 Cartridge Change Procedure

Hey y'all:

I'm a rocket surgeon by profession which requires me to write technical procedures for operating equipment. There are times when I go long stretches in between operating my Pro 2000 and as a result I get rusty with all the little things I need to do and keep in mind when I operate it and when I change the cartridges I load.

I put together this procedure to make things easier for me, so I don't have to thumb through the manual (and other reference documents) to find the information I'm looking for. It was originally supposed to be an "At-a-Glance" type of procedure but it ended up being three pages long.

I work around nuclear weapons (fleet ballistic missiles) and we work hard to eliminate the possibility for "oops!". I found that, when I didn't handload for awhile, my working knowledge and conversancy with my Pro 2000 press diminished and I was experienmaking more mistakes than I was comfortable with.

I wrote the procedure for myself but I'm sharing it with others who might find it useful and who might want to take it and tweak for their own personal use. If you think you might be able to use it then keep in mind that some of the settings may not apply to your particular situation. The UPM micrometer settings are meant to get me close to the proper setting, so don't take them as gospel. Also, the powder die adjustments (the number of turns up or down) may be different for the cartridges you load. If you don't already have this information then a little trial and error on your part will get you the specific information you need and you can just pencil it in to make the procedure work for you.

It's a Word document. This is my procedure. You're more than welcome to make it yours.

Equipment nomenclature in the procedure closely matches up with the exploded diagrams in the manual, so if you don't understand what equipment part or feature I'm referring to then you can look it up in the drawing.

I found it makes cartridge conversions a lot easier to set up and can be completed with confidence in less than five minutes.

RCBS Pro 2000 Cartridge Conversion Procedure

Cheers!