The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Blueman2

New old 870 Wingmaster for a newby

Just came into an old (1978) 870 Wingmaster in unfired (so claimed by previous owner) condition. 2 3/4 ejection port, 20" smooth bore with rifle sights.

Can I use the newer Remington barrels on this? What barrel and choke would be suitable for casual clay bird shooting?

Thanks for any info

Blueman2
Old July 27, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Death from Afar

I understand that you can.

They are a nice gun, and it will do you proud. For casual clay bird fun, use a full choke, over 26 inches long. It will swing better.
Old July 28, 2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most barrels will work. Newer Express barrels use a different system to stay tight and lack the detent ball and sping needed to use the old style system.

There's no perfect barrel for all clay sports, but a 28" Vent rib barrel choked Mod or set up for choke tubes will come close.

And, it'll do the job during hunting season if you do yours.

You are limited to 2 3/4" shalls, but that's little hardship unless turkey or waterfowl are on the to do list.

HTH...
Old July 28, 2007, 04:47 PM   #4
lockedcj7

I used a 28", vent-rib, mod. choke barrel for years on clays, ducks and doves and it worked great. 2 3/4 shells are no handicap, even for ducks, geese and turkeys if you use the newer non-toxic loads like hevi-shot. If you get serious about it though, you'll probably want at least a 3" magnum gun.

Check your PMs.
Old July 29, 2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Blueman2

Thanks gents for all replies. I will be looking out for a barrel that will handle the removeable chokes. Looking at used values it seems they command about 50%-75% more than a fixed choke barrel but for the flexibility it is probably worth it.

I appreciate everyones willingness to educate me. Thanks.

Blueman2