The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 10, 2006, 09:21 PM   #1
BIGR

Browning BAR Problems

I bought my 30 06 Browning MK II Safari back in 1997. I did install a bell and carson synthetic stock on it. It has been an excellent deer hunting rifle that has taken several deer. However I do have a problem with it. Last year 2004 deer season I hunted in the rain one day and got the gun soaked. I got back at camp that evening and took the front part of the stock (forearm) off and oiled and cleaned the area around the gas piston assembly. When I was putting the stock back on I somehow moved a spring out of place. The spring I am talking about is the spring that is attached to the slide lever release. Other words if you push down on the slide release this spring brings the lever back into place if it is funtioning properly. Well me being away from home and not in idea working condtions in the huntiung camper I went ahead and put the gun back together. After that the magazine would not hold the bolt back if it was empty unless I manually pushed the slide lever up to lock the bolt in place. I hunted with the gun for a few more days since it was the only one I had and I was 245 miles from home. Matter of fact I think I shot a deer with it after that happened. After deer season i let a gunsmith work on the rifle and he put the spring back on. After I got it back I test fired it. The gunsmith said that he test fired it but with a single round into the chamber. I don't think he loaded up the magazine. I trusted that it was fixed and before deer season 2005 I went to zero the scope. I loaded four rounds into the magazine and shot the target. After the first shot the bolt hung open like the gun had jammed. Trust me my Bar has never jammed until now. I thought it could have been a fluke so I shot it again. That time it didn't hang open. Well I topped off the magazine and tried it again. It jammed open again. I tried it atleast 10 more times and it probably jammed 5 out of 10. It is just like a single shot when it jams. I can reach up and push forward on the slide handle and it will close the slide. It is just like the magazine is catching the slide. Yes I know you are going to ask if I tried a different magazine. Yes I did try my spare magazine and it malfuntioned with it also. It also appears that there is enough clearance between the slide release and the stock. Any ideas guys. I've got to get ol faithful back in action.