The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 18, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Wild-Bill

Going for a Lever Action 22

I'm heading to Cabela's tomorrow to buy a Lever Action 22. I already know they have a Browning BL-22. What will give me problems and that is if they have a Marlin 39A or a Henry and I will have to fondle each one. My first choice is the Browning. I have points to spend from the credit card and the XYL said she didn't care that I used them on a rifle. Woo-Hoo.
Suggestions ?
Bill W.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:49 PM   #2
maxman894

I have the Browning BL-22, and I absolutely love it! I definitely recommend it. Not a single misfire with the gun, no complaints at all.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
JWT

The Henry has the smoothest action I've found in a lever gun. However any of the three are fine guns.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
hodaka

Older Marlins are great. I'm not sure about the new ones. I have an early 60's and love it.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
kutz

Grt a Henry smooth action &accurate.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:21 PM   #6
PetahW

Be sure to handle every one you can lay your paws on, because each one will feel a bit different to each shooter, and YMMV for preferences - looks aside.

(I've owned/shot/hunted with every .22 levergun except a Mossberg)

Most find the longer barreled Marlin 39a steadier, if not a tad heavier than the others - and usually the more accurate, in my experiences. It's very EZ to peep or scope.

The H001 Henry gives the buyer the biggest bang for their $$$ (no pun intended), since it's the least expensive, argueably the smoothest-operating, and without doubt the best warranty. They're also EZ to scope, and relatively EZ to peep.

The Browning's the most expensive, and absolutely has the best fit/finish - but has a very small frame, sometimes uncomfortable for shooters other than those of smaller stature. The BL-22's fairly EZ to scope, given the short receiver (grooves), and would need one of the clip-on peeps altered to fit if a peep sight was desired.

The new .22 Mossberg 464 I examined is a more expensive variation on the design of the H001 Henry.

Old February 18, 2013, 11:23 PM   #7
chris in va

No issues with my Henry, other than the rather crude sights. So much fun.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Wild-Bill

Well I did it. Made the drive to Cabela's today and now have a Browning BL-22. The only lever they had. Lucky me.
I had some help with the purchase from the credit card points.
They were completely out of any 22 caliber ammo.
Now to brave the first dozen rounds and start getting it broke in and getting used to the short lever throw.
It is the Grade I. Only difference from a Grade II is the GII stocks have some checkering and a gold trigger I* believe.
I am looking forward to the first shots fired.
Thanks for all the replies.
Bill W.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
PetahW

Grade II Browning BL-22's have engraved receivers & are (were ?) matted around the hammer opening & the rear of the receiver, to reduce glare when sighting/aiming - beside a wood upgrade, checkering, etc.

Old February 21, 2013, 03:11 AM   #10
SteelChickenShooter

Hope you have better luck with yours than I did with the Browning I dumped. It never gave me the accuracy I expected. But the Henry sure does. The Browning sure did look like a well made rifle. It was never possible to hit what I wanted regarding tiny targets, but the rabbit hunter that bought it off me sure likes it.
Old February 21, 2013, 04:44 AM   #11
bamaranger

holding out

I'm holding out for a Win 9422, but don't give the prospects or price, much hope.

Good luck with your Browning.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:20 AM   #12
JoeDorn

"Hope you have better luck with yours than I did with the Browning I dumped. It never gave me the accuracy I expected. But the Henry sure does. The Browning sure did look like a well made rifle. It was never possible to hit what I wanted regarding tiny targets, but the rabbit hunter that bought it off me sure likes it."

I bought an older used BL22 'Deluxe' (grade 2?) and first shot was dead center at about 20 yards. I love the little gun but it doesn't work well for Appleseeds so I purchased a 10/22 primarily for that purpose.

NRA Benefactor, GOA, SAF & TSRA Lifer
Old February 21, 2013, 05:55 PM   #13
SteelChickenShooter

In my case the match was a "fun shoot" with Cheerios suspended from strings and swinging golf balls. I could hit 98 out of 100 aspirins with my Henry, and I hoped the Browning BL-22 would be equally accurate and perhaps more fun to shoot with it's fast, shorter stroke action. I was wrong.
But like I said, my accuracy need was strict and demanding. The buyer of my BL-22 has a very fine rabbit & squirrel gun.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Meeteetse

I've never killed golf balls or cheerios, but my Browning BL-22 has hit lots of rabbits and other small critters with no problem. Very reliable.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:52 PM   #15
KO3422

My vote will go to the Henry's They're awesome.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Wild-Bill

I bought the Browning because of the reported quality and the short lever throw. I haven't shot it yet. I did put a florescent dot on the front site. Maybe I will fire a few rounds out the back door this weekend.
The Club I belong to has an indoor rifle night this coming Tuesday. I'll be there.
I have fired a Henry, and it is a fine rifle with smooth action.
More later.
Bill W.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:59 PM   #17
chanroc

Re: Going for a Lever Action 22

Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than shooting my Henry Golden Boy.
Can't say much about the others, but the Henry has my vote. Trouble free and tons of fun.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:30 PM   #18
603Country

Bamaranger, I saw a really nice 9422 (it looked new) in gun cabinet (behind glass) at Praco Pawn and Gun on Waco Drive in Waco, TX. Price was $800, which I thought was incredibly high, but these days maybe is market price.

As for 22 lever guns, I have a 9422 and a 39A and I'd hate to have to pick which one to keep if I had to sell one. A buddy of mine has (or had) a BL-22 and he liked it, but it did have a feeding ramp problem of some kind.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Wild-Bill

Browning BL-22

I have a BL-22. I have had the feed problem also. Rifle is 2 weeks old.
I blame two things. 1st; the rim diameters of the 22lr's ranging from .270 to .276. The rounds with the larger rim diameter (.274-.276) would "hang" up in the receiver. Smaller rims were OK.
2nd; Found metal & dirt in the receiver and end of bolt area. I have not ventured into the dis-assembly yet, but flushed out this area with WD40 and re-lubed real good.
FYI .006 is the thickness two pieces of 20 lb paper. If the rifle is manufactured to tight tolerances a piece or dirt or a metal chip the thickness of a piece of paper will give you fits.
Getting past these issues are part of the "break in " stage of the new rifle.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:30 PM   #20
jmr40

You did good buying the Browning. After you own a Marlin, Browning, or Winchester 22 you will never be happy with the Henry. Not bad guns at all for the money, but cetainly not in the same league. As a beater to keep in the truck they wouldn't be a bad choice.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:47 PM   #21
Wild-Bill

Lever Padding

See the picture attachment in the thread "Browning Bl-22 jamming". my last post 3-7-13.