The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 14, 2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Hardcase

Exploding targets and range fires

It's fire season again out here in the wild west and it looks like some folks aren't reading the instructions on their exploding target canisters too well.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...ing-fires.html

Two out of 19 fires so far in my neck of the woods are from exploding targets for sure and another two probably are. Now, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but given that cheatgrass is about as flammable as gasoline, if you use those exploding targets, make darn sure that there's nothing that'll catch on fire anywhere around.

Incidentally, in all four instances out here, the fires happened on BLM land that was closed to exploding targets because of the fire danger.
Old June 14, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Sigowner

You really have to wonder whether people like that should even be allowed to have a firearm due to sheer stupidity! Those are the folks who will make it tougher for all of us to use federal land for any type of shooting and cause untold damage to the environment thru the lost vegetation and forestation. No different than those who think they can control a campfire regardless of conditions.....and yet Arizona has one or two major fires every year due to exactly that.
Old June 14, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
Incidentally, in all four instances out here, the fires happened on BLM land that was closed to exploding targets because of the fire danger.
You wonder if they added tracers into the mix just to guarantee an explosion.

It seems some folks have been watching too many "reality TV" shooting shows. Of course, everybody knows, you're a better marksman if you can hit an exploding 12" target than if you center-punch a non-exploding 6" one.
Old June 14, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13 View Post
You wonder if they added tracers into the mix just to guarantee an explosion.

It seems some folks have been watching too many "reality TV" shooting shows. Of course, everybody knows, you're a better marksman if you can hit an exploding 12" target than if you center-punch a non-exploding 6" one.
Real skill is hitting a vehicle in the gas-lid and making it explode and launch a fireball 90' in the air... at 100 yards... with a Glock... while smoking a cigarette.

I don't get the Tannerite stuff. It's not that impressive, IMO. I get pleasure and good feedback from 1 gallon milk jugs filled with tap water. It's free, and it's a fun 300-500 yard target for an amateur like myself. There's the added "green" benefit of watering the Cacti and Mesquite bushes in the area.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old June 14, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
pgdion

I like filling empty pop cans with water. They go splat nicely and afterwards, you don't have to squish them for recycling, just pick up the remains and drop them in the bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092c.jpg (97.0 KB, 52 views)
Old June 14, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Hardcase

Quote:
I get pleasure and good feedback from 1 gallon milk jugs filled with tap water. It's free, and it's a fun 300-500 yard target for an amateur like myself.
Me too! When my dad and I go out shooting on summer weekends, those are our targets of choice. When one of those goes off, you'd think that we were a couple of little kids instead of 50 and 80 years old. I guess it keeps us young!

As an added bonus, we don't have to worry about setting the forest on fire.
Old June 14, 2012, 07:10 PM   #7
1Hobie

I've had some tracers and some Tannerite that I bought just to see what the big deal is.....4 months ago. We've been bone dry here in west-central Illinois for ever and I'll be darned if I burn anything down just for giggles.

It's still sitting on my ammo rack waiting for a week of soaking rain...God we wish it would rain, the crops are suffering.

Regards,

Hobie
Old June 15, 2012, 07:29 AM   #8
PawPaw

I like shooting potatoes. Cheap, explode nicely, little or no clean-up. It's hard to get something as biodegradable as a potato. Worst case scenario is one of the pieces takes root and the deer get to eat potato greens in the summer.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 15, 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

When the cattle break into my property and I finally get them chased out, it is fun to go around with a .22 and blow the cow patties apart, probably not that different than shooting soda cans of water or potatoes.

I have yet to find a better way to make the patties break down any quicker with comparable or less work, LOL.
Old June 15, 2012, 11:35 AM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
it is fun to go around with a .22 and blow the cow patties apart
Yep, but the freshness factor has to be considered.
Old June 15, 2012, 12:14 PM   #11
KMAX

Quote:
it is fun to go around with a .22 and blow the cow patties apart

I used to wonder about the expression " shooting the ****" Learn something here every day.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old June 15, 2012, 01:38 PM   #12
g.willikers

It seems that we gun owners have two enemies.
Those who would deprive us of our gun rights.
And those who throw those rights away.
Old June 15, 2012, 06:01 PM   #13
essohbe

Quote:
I don't get the Tannerite stuff.

Well, lets see... it blows up. It also blows up. It blows up too and it also blows up.

The best is also making your own
Old June 15, 2012, 06:13 PM   #14
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by essohbe View Post

Well, lets see... it blows up. It also blows up. It blows up too and it also blows up.

The best is also making your own
I guess i stopped wanting to blow things up when i was a teenager. I was saying that it just wasn't that impressive compared to say... Shooting a propane bottle sitting in a fire, or several cans of starting fluid taped together. Both make a nice fireball from what i hear.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2012, 06:52 PM   #15
rtpzwms

I don't know but a pound of tannerite under an old tv will send the tv to heck and gone. Now I don't care who you are that's fun! And when you see the smile on your grand kid it priceless!
Old June 15, 2012, 10:12 PM   #16
Deja vu

tannerite is fun stuff. that said you have to be safe. The rimfire ones are the best.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 17, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17
langenc

Those that shoot exploding targets when stone dry also shoot glass bottles, bowling pins, TVs, propane tanks. When finished just drive away and leave it all. Exploding targets are just high priced crap that they shoot.

From post #15 above

I don't know but a pound of tannerite under an old tv will send the tv to heck and gone. Now I don't care who you are that's fun! And when you see the smile on your grand kid it priceless!
Wonder how grandkids liked picking up the pieces?
Old June 17, 2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Yes, they most definitely have a limited shelf life, however, the best time for shooting is during the period when they are most apt to smell bad and stick to your shoes.