The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
LloydXmas250

Remington Supercell Recoil Pad

I just bought an 870 express and I'm still waiting for it which means I'm daydreaming about accessories for it. I saw a video for the supercell and I'm impressed but looking at reviews on this site I've heard that the pad doesn't fit well. I'm a little unclear of how bad it is though. If anyone has a picture to show how it doesn't fit I'd love to see. If it's not that bad I may pick one up but if it's just horrible I'll move on. Any other good pads you'd recommend if the supercell isn't any good?
Old November 29, 2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Snakum

I just put Supercells on both my 870s and they fit perfectly. Had them on in two minutes each. I can tell a difference, too, in the recoil. I shoot a lot of 3" slugs and buck and it really makes a difference.
Old November 29, 2009, 08:03 PM   #3
LloydXmas250

Do you have newer 870s or old models? I was thinking maybe that could be the case with it not fitting.
Old November 30, 2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Snakum

Both of mine are probably newer. One is a TALO and the other is a Tactical with ghost ring rear. If yours is older I couldn't say whether or not they will fit. I'll see if I can scare up an older 870 and I'll check the fit.
Old November 30, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
LloydXmas250

Yeah. Mine is brand new. I've noticed warnings saying they don't fit pre-1999 models so I'm thinking the bad reviews are for people who did not heed the warning. Unless someone does have experience with a new model and this pad and it doesn't fit that's what I'm going to assume.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:57 PM   #6
rantingredneck

There have been quite a few factory 870 stock offerings. Wood, laminate, synthetic (several varieties). I think which one you have will dictate whether the supercell pad will fit or which model will fit. That being said, they are not hard to sand down to fit if it's a little large.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 1, 2009, 12:50 PM   #7
LloydXmas250

This is probably a stupid question but, I have never had experience sanding anything but wood. How would I go about sanding a rubber pad?
Old December 1, 2009, 02:12 PM   #8
rantingredneck

Pretty much the same as you would sand wood. I use a fine sanding paper and then progress to an extra fine paper. Typically start with 800-1000 grit and work to 1500-2000 grit. If you have access to a belt grinder you can do the rough work with it. Will work a little faster, just don't put a lot of pressure on it. Work lightly.

Old December 1, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
Typically start with 800-1000 grit
Please tell me you are kidding. When I grind a recoil pad, I use a belt sander starting with 80 grit. Then to about 150 or 180 for the finishing work. Polish with some 400 and I can't tell the difference from factory.

If you are grinding a soft pad, it helps to freeze it before grinding.
Old December 1, 2009, 04:04 PM   #10
rantingredneck

Quote:
Please tell me you are kidding. When I grind a recoil pad, I use a belt sander starting with 80 grit. Then to about 150 or 180 for the finishing work. Polish with some 400 and I can't tell the difference from factory.

If you are grinding a soft pad, it helps to freeze it before grinding.
Nope. When I'm doing one by hand it's typically one that only needs minor fitting and I use a fine paper. Works great.

If I'm doing one that needs more extensive work I'll use a belt with 80-120 grit and then finish up with a fine paper.

There's method to my madness in that the grind to fit pads are a little different than the pre-fit ones. The pre-fit ones aren't really meant to be ground on at least according to the package instructions. It's typically the pre-fit ones that "almost" fit and may need a little adjusting. That's where I'm using fine paper.

Old December 1, 2009, 06:55 PM   #11
Doyle

That explains the difference. The only ones I've had to grind are the grind-to-fit models. The pre-fit ones that I've used have always been "good enough" for the field use that they were for.
Old January 29, 2011, 03:33 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

I just opened a thread with the same name and then found this one, which last had an entry 2 months ago. Has anyone learned anything new about the fit of the supercell pad on newer synthetic 870s? As some know I have been busting my shoulder good getting used to a new one.
Old January 29, 2011, 09:48 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Picked up an 870 supercell pad and it want on my new synthetic express in a flash. Fits perfectly. It is much softer than the recoil pad that came with it. $19.99 at Bass Pro and no shipping.
Old January 29, 2011, 10:31 PM   #14
pabuckslayer08

Got one for my rifle and they fit perfect and work very well as well