The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2010, 06:01 PM   #1
mackenzie

Dillon xl650

just wondering if anybody has problems with excessive powder sprinkle from dillon 650 press while using. if so what can be done
Old January 22, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
lomaxanderson

I had issues on my 550 from condinsation on the powder funnel...all I know...dillon has a help forum on their website...check it out

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old January 22, 2010, 08:24 PM   #3
pbratton

I've noticed it when I'm running 9mm's. The cases are pretty full and as the turret moves from one station to the next, there is a slight 'bump' which spills some powder.

I'l tightened the turret bolt a bit and slowed down my lever actions - it helps a bit, but I mostly put up with the spilled powder and just clean a little more.

There is a bearing plate made for a third party that sits under the turret, but most of the reviews state it make little or no difference.
Old January 22, 2010, 09:30 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
Dillon xl650
just wondering if anybody has problems with excessive powder sprinkle from dillon 650 press while using. if so what can be done
Okay, more info please. What kind of powder? Where is the powder coming from? Which cartridge are you loading? Lots of dillon 650 users on this forum, we can nail it down for you with more basic info from you.

Yeah the bearings on the shell plate go on top, under the center bolt, but as said, they don't help much.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 23, 2010, 07:21 AM   #5
jmorris

If the powder is spilling out because of the ball detent snapping into the shell plate, many will say cut part of the spring off. That helped but the bearing and stock spring work better. I didn’t buy a “kit” I just went to a local bearing supply and for less than $5 for the bearing and washers stopped my powder from shaking out; it makes the machine feel smoother too.

Bearing part # in photo.

Old January 23, 2010, 09:29 AM   #6
snuffy

I ordered that same bearing from McMaster-Carr. Installed it, then the ejector wire is too high, the shells jam as they try to leave the slot in the shell plate. It didn't seem to do anything anyway, so off it came. Anybody want mine? I'll send it to ya! In fact I ordered two sets, they're both available.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 23, 2010, 06:09 PM   #7
mackenzie

dillon 650 powder sprinkle

the powder seems to be falling out when the instant that the case comes down from powder funnelbefore the indexing takes place. im using H4895 for 45-70 govnt. It sprinkles all over machine and jams indexing plate.