The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2009, 02:00 PM   #1
kdog70

17 Rem or 17 Fireball

Which one do you think for predator and just fun shooting. I reload and i know i am gonna get the get the 204,220 swift, 22-250 but i have a 243 and 308 so looking for something small bore and its something different that people will ask me about when at the range. What do you think?
Old January 28, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
ENC

I haven't loaded for it yet because I am still emptying my factory brass but I love the .17fireball. This gun shoots like a laser beam and no noticeable recoil. Now if I could just find a bunch of prarie dogs is NE Oklahoma.

Evan
Old January 28, 2009, 03:45 PM   #3
rrp

I've never shot the 17 fireball so I can't help you there. I do have a 17 Rem and have to say, it is a fun rifle to shoot. Very flat shooting and does well on prairie dogs. I use the 17 rem on the shots out to about 250 yards, and on less windy days. Any farther than that, I have found that I have trouble with drift. I have four different varmint rifles, so I use them each under different conditions. It's nice to shoot the smaller cal. because with little recoil, you can see the results through the scope. Good luck and good shooting.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
kdog70

What kind of speeds are you guys seeing from these two. Its not that i want to shoot something at crazy speeds I just would like to say i could...such as yea i can get this baby going 4,000+ fps
Old January 29, 2009, 05:42 PM   #5
rrp

I got my first chrony for Christmas, but haven't had a nice day to use it yet. I will be running all my reloads through it, when it warms up a bit. I have never come to max charges on any of my loads before I was satisfied with the groups. But ,from what I have read you should be able to get 4000 out of the 17 rem. I usually work up to where I am happy with the group. I find when I get up to near max, they seem to open up so I back down to my best loads. Good luck and good shooting.
Old January 29, 2009, 06:14 PM   #6
INGunGuy

Well, I am sworn to secrecy, but my father has a load for the .17/222 screaming out at 4600fps. As he has told me, don't give it out he doesnt want to blow someone's gun up. He trusts it in his gun.

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.