The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Jseime

Shotgun Shell Reloading

I am thinking after days of banging away three inch magnum shells at 20 bucks a box and having piles of used hulls lying around that I should look into shotshell reloading.

What am I going to need for a setup?
Tools, equipment, supplies etc.

How much will it cost?
just ballpark

And last but not least is anything that I have to reload rifle ammunition useable in shotshell reloading or is this a full re-tool operation?
Old October 2, 2007, 04:43 AM   #2
rg1

Mec SizeMaster press (will load 2 3/4 or 3" shellls)--$186.00
A good press for a hunter or casual shooter, will last a lifetime
--25 pound bag of shot is going for $45.00 approx.--will load 225-245 3" shells
--powder --$20 per lb. and will load 175-200 rds
--primers now at $37.00 per 1000
--wads--$9.00 to $12 per 250
Large shot or plated shot is higher and sometimes hard to find locally
Rough figures (if math is correct) is about $.040 per round or $8.00 per box of 20
--Lyman Shotshell Book--$18.00
--The only item you now have that is necessary is your powder scale
--Mec Shell Checker to check brass sizing
--additional cost for powder bushings and charge bars for your press
It may be hard to duplicate factory ballistics if you're shooting Premium loads with buffered shot and plated shot. Shotshell reloading is not as cost effective as it once was due to high primer and lead costs. You'll have to shoot a lot to recover your initial start-up costs. It is nice to be capable of rolling your own should it become necessary.
Old October 2, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Lee Load All II is far cheaper than the MEC and produces shells of similar quality.

The MEC is better built and has a higher loading rate.

I have a Lee Load All and have loaded a LOT of shells on it over the years. It's never given me a bit of trouble.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 2, 2007, 10:49 AM   #4
crowbeaner

Hello. I recommend the Mec machines very highly. I have a 600 that I bought years ago used for $35. It has loaded thousands of shells with no problems whatsoever, and is going to load more shortly. I haven't even had to replace the wad guide yet. These machines may only load 1 shell at a time, but every one is perfect, and they shoot in all 4 guns at my disposal. I have 5 different charge bars, and used ones are for sale all the time on fleabay and other sites. Bushings are $1.99 at Gander Mtn. Shot from Powdervalleyinc.com is $35 a bag plus shipping. Gander Mtn. has many different wads for sale around $8 a bag. You may be able to make a deal for wads on fleabay or Gunbroker.com. BPI has all kinds of neat stuff, and sells card,felt,hulls, and waxed wads for slug reloading. If you have freinds that shoot trap or skeet you might look into a Littleton shot maker- $375 plus shipping. It makes around 30-35 lbs. per hour. Scrap lead and/or linotype is not hard to find, but is going up in price due to the gluttonous red China. If you have the money to order a pallet of shot, contact Mayco in Birmingham AL. Hope this helps. Enjoy. CB.
Old October 3, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5
BigJimP

I suggest MEC loaders as well - they have some good single stage presses and you can get by with that for field loads. Mec has a good website http://www.mecreloaders.com/ check them out.
Old October 4, 2007, 11:41 PM   #6
Jseime

So overall that looks slightly cheaper to start that a rifle reloading setup.

is it possible to put oh lets say an ounce and an eighth of BB shot in a 3 inch shell out to 1500 fps or so for taking geese at high altitude?
Old October 5, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
kellyj00

+1 on the lee load all.
also, check out castboolits.com on information on making your own lead shot!
Old October 5, 2007, 10:00 PM   #8
ahjack3

I would suggest the MEC Sizemaster. I'm not sure that you'll save a whoile lot of money by reloading, but it's a great way to kill some time, and it gives you the chance to "customize" your loads.
Old October 5, 2007, 10:14 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Jselme; if you get the Hodgdon 2007 basic reloaders guide you will find loads using Longshot powder with 1 1/8 oz payloads that break 1500 fps. Just substitute BB shot for smaller stuff. Just what the DR. ordered. Enjoy. CB.