The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 24, 2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Found a jewel... that I forgot I had saved...

the story was this revolver was orginally owned by a state trooper who was a buddy of my father in law... he was supposed to be the best shot of the troopers at the time, & was reported to be an extremely good shot with this revolver... I put it away in the vault after my father in law died, forgetting I had saved it... I was cleaning & reoiling this last weekend & came across it... at the time I put it away, I really wasn't a S&W guy, but now 2 of my carry guns are S&W's ( lets say I have aquired a better appriciation for them now ) the trigger is smooth as glass on this gun... can anyone tell me anything about it from these pics ???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 051.jpg (37.4 KB, 4541 views)
File Type: jpg guns 052.jpg (37.4 KB, 12055 views)
Old September 24, 2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Jim Watson

It is an early Combat Magnum, now known as the Model 19.

If it does not have the model number on the frame inside the yoke, it was made between 1955 when the Combat Magnum was introduced and 1957 when model numbers were adopted.

If it has the model number inside the yoke it was made between 1957 when model numbers were assigned and 1961 when they dropped the cylinder stop screw from in front of the trigger guard.

The wider target hammer, target trigger and target stocks were optional at extra cost. If the grips are numbered to the gun, it adds a good deal to the value. (I have one similar but I had to find and add the target stocks, fortunately before their value took off.)

Maybe an expert will come along who can tell you more. The serial number will let him pin down the year made.
Old September 24, 2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the info...I looked, & it does not have the model number inside the cylinder frame... grip numbers would be on the inside ???
Old September 24, 2007, 09:55 AM   #4
boa2

You aren't likely going to find the serial number marked on the inside of your target grips. This is because the target grips were usually not serial numbered. However, the Magna or service grips were numbered to these guns. I have a pre-Model 19 4-inch, Combat Magnumb exactly like yours and the original diamond target grips aren't numbered. Following are some pictures of this gun:

Old September 24, 2007, 10:00 AM   #5
18DAI

Those are some beautiful model 19's you gents have. Thanks for sharing the pics. Regards 18DAI.
Old September 24, 2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the reply & Pics BOA... BTW... thats an awesome looking revolver, but what is with the trigger on that gun ??? is that an aftermarket trigger add on ???

BTW... this one is not for sale or trade, but any idea on a value ???
Old September 24, 2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Baba Louie

Quote:
is that an aftermarket trigger add on ???
Yes. Trigger shoe. Common addition for bullseye and other target shooters back in 'the day'.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 24, 2007, 05:44 PM   #8
cortez kid

DRAA EWL!
kid