The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 29, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
tahunua001

short review on 9mm AR promag.

hello all, a couple months back I bought a 10 round promag for my 9mm AR. at first it did great, no problems to speak of through the first box of ammo.

however in the second box I started to notice some problems with 1 failure to feed and once the bolt dropped when I dumped the magazine, still thought nothing of it.

then today I took it out to go through a mockup navy rifle qual and on every mag dump except 2 the bolt dropped during mag dump, on one battery the bolt failed to lock back on last shot so only once did it actually lock the bolt back on last round.

simultaneously I was using a 32 round metalform magazine that didn't have a single problem. no fails to lock back, no FTEs, and no drop on dumps.

I would recommend caution to anyone thinking of buying promags for their 9mm AR. metalforms are still, the only magazine I've found that function 100% in my particular rifle.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2
FALPhil

Promags have a spotty reputation in general. I have a couple of steel Promags 5.56 AR mags and only use them as range mags. I have trouble with them from time to time.

Rather than Promags, I would be more inclined to find some surplus Uzi mags and make the mods to them to make them work. I did this on 6 Uzi mags, and so far, they have worked flawlessly. However, they do not hold the bolt back after the last round.
Old March 31, 2013, 12:13 AM   #3
tahunua001

I tried the Cprod modified uzis and they were complete garbage. at least the promag cycles well enough 99.3-ish percent of the time.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4
HJ857

If I recall correctly, you're upper is something other than Colt pattern? I'm running a CMMG upper with a Spike's enhanced block and the polymer 32 round ProMags work great. I do have to enlarge the mag catch hole a bit because they do not lock in real well otherwise.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:42 AM   #5
tahunua001

mines a colt pattern... I don't see how it would even be possible to stuff a colt pattern in a glock pattern mag well...?
Old April 1, 2013, 02:42 PM   #6
HJ857

I'm not remembering correctly, which happens a lot. Mine's Colt as well, the polymer ProMags may be worth a try. Last time I bought some they were only around 13 bucks.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:49 PM   #7
tahunua001

ahhh, well I didn't know they did the plastics as well, the one described here-in is metal not polymer.
Old April 1, 2013, 03:10 PM   #8
HJ857

Interestingly poor reviews on the mag. I don't know what to think about it, mine work really well after enlarging the mag catch, I just cut away some plastic at the top of the opening with a exacto knife until they lock correctly. The last round bolt hold open also works perfectly every time. I've run a lot of rounds through them, I have eight of them and have no regrets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/838...-polymer-black