The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1
weblance

Beretta Neos Range Report

I recently bought a 6" Beretta Neos Inox. I got a chance to shoot it today, and was very pleased. I started shooting at 7 yards, and the sights were dead on. I shot Federal bulk, Blazer bulk, Remington Golden bulk and Winchester White Box bulk. At 7 yards, with the Winchester, and Federal, It will shoot 10 rounds into one ragged hole, center of target. The Remington and Blazer opens up just a bit, but 1" groups were the norm with those two rounds.

I moved to 25 yards, and over a makeshift rest supporting the barrel, and my elbows rested on the rail, I got the best groups with Federal and Winchester. I shoot at 3x3" Post-It notes and the Federal and Winchester will group every shot onto the Post-It. The Blazer and Remington again opened a bit, with the Remington edging out the Blazer. I shoot 10 round groups. I stick my Post-Its onto an 8" paper plate, and the worst Blazer target had 8 on the Post-It, and two outside of the color. I didnt measure the spread, but I would assume 4". This was the worst group of all the ammo I tested. The best group was Federal, and grouped 2 1/2". I dont have an optic mounted, and used only the open sights.

Function was perfect, every round loaded, fired and ejected perfectly. The Winchester showed a little issue when loading the magazines. It must just be slightly longer in over all length. If you were just dropping rounds into the magazines, and lowering the follower just below the rounds, The Winchester would stick in the throat of the magazine and not drop any lower. If you lower the follower several rounds below where you would normally, and tilt the round, effectively making it shorter, They would load fine. The other rounds I mentioned above, loaded just fine.

The only complaint I have is with the Trigger. It is light, but has creep, and two spots of grit. Its fine for plinking, actually pretty good, because its light, but for pure target accuracy, it needs work. Polishing will remove the grit and its possible that many rounds downrange will also do the job.

For the cost of the pistol($300) Im not complaining about the trigger. It could be better, but isn't as bad as my Ruger 22/45s were when they were new out of the box. With a little work, the trigger will be much better. The pistol functions perfectly, I sent over 400 rounds downrange today with no issues.

I ordered a 4" barrel, and it came today before I went to the range, so I shot it a little at the end. It shoots perfectly also, and after a little elevation adjustment, seems as accurate as the 6" barrel. I didnt shoot it for groups, but after adjustment, was easily flipping small rocks behind the 25 yard target line.

I am very pleased with this pistol. Reading comments from owners, the long term durability seems very good. The accuracy is supurb, function is perfect, ergonomics are excellent, and I recommend it for a well made, reasonably priced .22 pistol. With a little trigger work, it could hold its own against anything short of a full blown target pistol costing much more.

Original thread...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512435

Last edited by weblance; January 16, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:18 AM   #2
+1k ammo

Nice review. The NEos will be my next .22 and I have pretty much heard only positive reviews.

How does the barrel release knob wheel work?
Old January 17, 2013, 02:47 AM   #3
weblance

Press in the button on the right side of the frame, just in front of the wheel and while holding the button in, turn the wheel away from the button. It takes maybe 3 full rotations of the wheel, and the barrel is off. Its a simple thing, and works quite well. It really is nice when you want to clean the pistol, because you can easily get to the breech face to clean it, and the feed ramp and rifling. I have 4 Ruger Mark series pistols, and this Neos is an absolute breeze to clean, compared to the Rugers.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Pilot

Nice report. I guess I just can't get by the looks of the thing, as I just plain don't like them and would much rather put the money towards something like a Ruger or Buckmark. I like the Ruger because with all the mods that are easy to do, it can grow with you as a shooter, from informal target pistol to match competition pistol if you want.

Still, the NEOS works for many, no doubt about that and represents a good value in what seems to be a reliable .22 plinker.

BTW, I have four Ruger MK II's also (one is a MK II era 22/45) and the all had very good triggers out of the box. Guess I got lucky. One of them I have modded with VQ parts to be more of a match pistol. I can field strip, clean and reasemble a MK II in about ten minutes. It really isn't difficult at all.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:42 PM   #5
weblance

I have a Mark II Target I bought new in 89. I also have 3 new, 2012 vintage 22/45s. The triggers on all 3 of the 22/45s were much heavier than the Mark II. This might have been because of the magazine disconnect, but heavier none the less. I removed the mag disco on all 3, and at the same time, installed improved hammer and sear parts. Now the triggers are equal to the stock Mark II.

I agree, the Neos pistol has a look that turns many buyers off, but I do like it. It is a very functional pistol, and the fact that the pistol has a built in rail really sells it for me. The only thing I wish Beretta would now offer is a threaded barrel Neos, or a threaded barrel thru parts.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:22 PM   #6
TailGator

Good job on the review. I have a lot of fun with my Neos, too. I bought mine used and the trigger was already smooth. I didn't care much for the sights, so I added a red dot; recoil is so minimal that even inexpensive red dots hold up fine.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:49 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

Inexpensive optics for the NEOS,,,

Hello Weblance,,,

When Cabela's had these reflex sights on sale for $39.95,,,
I bought two and mounted them on both of my NEOS pistols.

They work just fine and have held up very nicely.

I put a BSA red dot on the carbine,,,
I think it was on sale for $44.95 at the time,,,
The peep sight on the carbine barrel was too low for me to see,,,
I had to "scrunch up" something awful to get my head low enough to use them.

TailGator is correct when he said:
Quote:
recoil is so minimal that even inexpensive red dots hold up fine.
Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 17, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Damon555

Old January 18, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
bustersmaster

Very well written report. I bought one of these some years ago from Gander Mt. and found mine impossible to sight in. I tried all different brands of ammo, but always seemed to come up short in the accuracy department. As I recall, I had to take the windage adjustment clear to one extreme to get it close to accurate.
I didn't try a scope. Maybe that would have solved it. I probably should have sent it back, but in all my years of buying stuff, I've never had a satisfactory warranty repair on any defective product. I'm probably too old for my luck to change now.
I traded it in for a different gun. I bought the Neos on sale, so I didn't get hurt too bad on it.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:51 PM   #10
weblance

bustersmaster... there was a problem there somewhere, Bad crown, damaged rifling, something. That has not been the general experience with the Neos at all. Its unfortunate you had a bad pistol. It does happen, even with the best brands. I had to send my brand new Single Six back to Ruger last year because it would lock up with the Long Rifle cylinder, and wouldnt group better than 10" at 25 yards rested. Ruger sent it back after 5 weeks, and its now a 2" at 25 yard gun, and functions correctly.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Pilot

That stainless NEOS looks darn good with a scope on it. Hmmmmmm.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:40 PM   #12
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot
That stainless NEOS looks darn good with a scope on it.
Yes it does. I cant decide if I want a reflex sight, dot sight, or pistol scope on my Neos. It will probably end up being a reflex, because I already have a scoped Mark II, and a dot sight equipped 22/45. Might as well try a reflex.
Old January 18, 2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Big Steve

I bought the stainless 4 inch. Gun works perfect. Trigger did take a while to break in. Dead on at 25 yards with the iron sites. I have not had any feed problems with any ammo I have tried. I get 4 to 5 inch groups at 25 yards. I would like to get the 6 inch barrel for it.