The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2001, 03:27 PM   #1
GBTX01

Pistol Grip Stock For Moss 590

I am looking at getting a Pistol Grip Stock for my Mossberg 590 and was wondering what brand of aftermarket stock ya'll recommend for stregth and ruggedness. I like the look of Benelli's pistol grip stocks, but not that of Choate. Thanks for your help.
Old August 20, 2001, 04:55 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This has been chewed over thoroughly in times gone by. A check of the archives will give you plenty of input.
Old August 20, 2001, 05:40 PM   #3
Jorge

I'm not much into pistolgrip stocks, but if you must I'd go with a SpeedFeed model 3 or 4 stock.
Old August 21, 2001, 01:18 AM   #4
DML

I would give that some more thought. The problem with a pistol grip stock on a 590 is that you have to remove you hand from the grip to move the safety on or off. For most folks that wouldn't be a problem, but it's not good for a tactical situation. Think about it.
Old August 21, 2001, 11:27 AM   #5
EQP

I agree with DML on this one. I have a 590 as do a few friends of mine. After handling theirs which have a pistol grip on them, I'll stick to the regular style. Besides having to jump through hoops to get the safety off quickly, you also have to do the same with the action release. If you absolutely have to have a pistol grip stock then I'd recommend the Choate MK 5 pistol grip stock. It has two .5" spacers which you can remove to shorten the length of pull by an inch. Nice feature!
Old August 21, 2001, 08:52 PM   #6
Gunfighter

I just returned from Blackwaters Combat Shotgun/Pistol Course. For the class I used my 590 with Speedfeed Pistol Grip. I have used this set up during a shooting as well SWAT and patrol. I dig the pistol grip for control while opening doors etc. I also find it easier to reload with it. You have to work out the safety thing for yourself. Now on my HP 500 I have a reg stock. I did the speedfeed stock but only keep birdshot in it for animal disposal etc. They should call it slowfeed. Just my 2 cents.