The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 30, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

Father has to shoot Daughter & Son-in Law with .22 revolver.

4 Penn Family Killed in shootout/home invasion. Such a senseless story.

Seems the estranged daughter came to kill. Mother and son killed and dad can only save himself with a .22 revolver taking the life of Daughter and Son-in-Law. He apparently did not even know it was his daughter until later. So sad what people do.

Needless to say, though being outgunned, a 67 year old man managed to use a .22 revolver to save himself and take out the home invaders.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/30...d-in-gunfight/

Goes to show you, even a .22 is deadly enough for defense even if not recommended. Also proving how shot placement is so important in SD.
Old September 30, 2013, 10:46 AM   #2
lcpiper

It's what some people fail to recognize.

There is a significant gap between those armed with a firearm and those without. Face it, firearms are a game changer and even the lowliest calibers are more then up to the task.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:09 AM   #3
22-rimfire

The firearm is a game changer especially for more elderly people. I have always felt comfortable with a 22 revolver for whatever needs to be done from a self defense perspective. For the most part, elderly people have little means of practical self defense without a firearm. Younger people are generally faster and stronger.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:26 AM   #4
lcpiper

You are correct. I will also add that an older person can be far more afraid when facing a younger "threat" then younger people are. As a soldier I realized that there was a big difference physically between a 30 to 35 year old man and those young "buck" Privates. The old guys were simply far more powerful then the younger soldiers, they were in their prime. I am much older now and I can no longer live in denial, I have become weaker and I cracked a couple of ribs a few years back and I don't heal like I used to and man that hurt for a long time.

I am no longer superman.

I am now cognizant of my mortality.

I would be terrified of my wife getting into a fight with someone younger as she could be hurt so easily.

If faced with a physical altercation I would be far more likely now to pull and use a gun in self defense even if my attacker were not similarly armed, nor had he displayed intent to use lethal force, because it is the only defense I have left to me.

In simple terms, for me today, the only way to fight is with a gun. It's not just that I can't win, it's that I can't afford to lose.
Old September 30, 2013, 12:25 PM   #5
noelf2

Quote:
If faced with a physical altercation I would be far more likely now to pull and use a gun in self defense even if my attacker were not similarly armed, nor had he displayed intent to use lethal force, because it is the only defense I have left to me.
In other words: "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Robert Heinlein
Old September 30, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6
22-rimfire

The really sad thing is that Mr. Frew is left alone now with his wife and son gone. So senseless.
Old October 2, 2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Gary L. Griffiths

So much for the .22LR not being an adequate defensive round.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old October 2, 2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Yep, .22 worked this time. John Frew had the luxury of being able to retrieve his .22 while his wife and son were slaughtered and then had the where with all to make two head shots in the confusion of the situation. If you can shoot all your attackers in the head every time with a .22 that you know will always discharge, then it is the round for you. Such events don't usually work out this well at all.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Mobuck

I carry a 22 more than any other caliber. A Ruger 22/45 is my constant companion most of the time I'm working on the farm. I'm very confident in my ability and the round's capability to handle anything that I might come upon. That said, it's still not my first(or second or even third) choice of a self defense cartridge.