The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1
Dannyl

How good are REDDING Presses?

Hi,
I need to replace my old Lee Single Stage press.

Over here the best priced Single Stage (other than Lee, which I prefer not to buy again) is the Redding Boss. (half the price of an RCBS Rock-Chucker)

I will use it only for rifle loads, for pistols I use a progressive.

Any opinions?

Brgds,
Danny
Old May 3, 2010, 06:01 AM   #2
polska

Redding makes great equipment and I think a cut above RCBS.Are you sure the Redding is half the price of the Rock Chucker? Redding is usually more expensive.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Dannyl

Hi Polska,
yes, I am sure, in fact it is less than half that of the Rock chucker.
It maybe that REdding is trying to break into the local market, which so far hs not seen many of their products.
Rgds,
Danny
Old May 3, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Sam06

Dany Redding makes some of the best reloading equipment. I have their Turret Press and its a very well made press. I have seen a few Redding Boss presses and they look like they are every bit as good as a RCBS Press. If they are less expensive I would go for it. The only other Single Stage Press I think is better is a Forster Co-Ax.

You are like me I load all my pistol on a progressive(550B) and rifle on either the Turret or my Co-Ax.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

If you can get a Redding at half the cost of an RCBS, don't hesitate to do it.

Redding is generally considered the Cadillac Mercedes of presses and dies.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:03 PM   #6
publius

heck yeah, if it's half the price of the RCBS grab it. I don't think they are much, if any, better than RCBS but I would definitely get it if it's cheaper. They are both better than a Lee.
Old May 3, 2010, 01:03 PM   #7
wxl

Using a T7 and Redding is an excellent piece of gear. I use my 550 for mass production pistol (45acp/10mm). All rifle and other pistol loads on the Redding
Old May 3, 2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Dannyl

Thank you

Hi,
Thanks, I had a good look at it a few days ago and it impressed me as a well made item, but I thought its good to get some opinion first from people who use them already.
I'll buy it tomorrow morning .
Brgds,
Danny
Old May 3, 2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Out of curiosity, what kind of price are you talking about for the Redding in USD?
Old May 3, 2010, 09:38 PM   #10
BigJakeJ1s

The Redding Boss press is a little smaller than the RC. The Big Boss is very similar to the RCBS RC. The Big Boss II has a hollow ram and tube to direct spent primers to a catch bottle, something the RC lacks. The Redding UltraMag is an excellent press with large capacity for longer-than-standard-magnum cartridges.

Another option would be the Forster Co-Ax, particularly for anything up to and including standard magnum length cartridges. I have one and am extremely happy with it.

Andy
Old May 4, 2010, 06:04 AM   #11
Dannyl

If you are ever in these parts, this is one GOOD gun-shop

Hi,
I just got back from SAFARI and OUTDOOR, the shop that had the Redding Boss advertized.
It appeared that in contrary to their website they had run out of stock. when I mentioned that I drove 25 miles to get there, the owner apologized and offered me an RCBS Rock-Chucker supreme at half his advertized price.

I ended up with a superb press for $125 more than I'd have paid for the Boss.

I had shopped thereonce or twice for components in the past as they are well priced, but now they have one more loyal customer. (and I have a great press for a very good price )

Mal, the Redding Boss was advertized for R1000 ($135), and the RCBS was for R2500 ($335),I paid $260 for the Rock Chucker Supreme.

I am sure that they are cheaper in the US, but for local prices this is as good as it gets.

Brgds,

Danny
Old May 4, 2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Sam06

Danny, There is not that much of a price difference here between the two. I posted links to what Midway is selling them for below. Either way you got a good press that you Great Grand kids will be loading ammo on.

Sam

Rockchucker supreme
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=513567

Redding Big Boss
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=856890
Old May 4, 2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Dannyl

HI Sam,

As I thought, you guys pay much less. here the suppliers are all over-priced, it is only who is a bigger rip-off. Normally the Rock-Chuker supreme sells here for over $400 so I guess I got a good deal for it.

I could not agree more. this one should last a long time.

A bit too early for grand kids, but last week my son (turns 11 this weekend and has been shooting since he was 8) came to me, showed me a light load he had found in one of my reloading manuals and asked if we could load some so that he can try and shoot with my S&W 586 (6" 0.357).

I confirmed that he had looed correctly and he had indeed chosen a listed light load.

It worked great, and he enjoyed shooting 50 rounds of " his" load.

we have just finished mounting the new press on the bench and he cant wait to reload some rounds with it, I guess I'll just have to obligue...

Brgds and thanks for the good advice.

Danny

Last edited by Dannyl; May 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:48 AM   #14
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
How good are Redding presses ? Better than most ! Can anyone tell me where the RCBS name came from ?
Old May 4, 2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Sam06

Here ya go

Rock
Chuck
Bullet
Swage

They started by Fred Huntington making a die that swagged bullet jackets from 22LR brass
Old May 5, 2010, 07:41 PM   #16
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Sam06 , you are absolutely correct . We in the shooting sports today owe much to the Fred Huntingtons , and Vernon Speers , and Joyce Hornadys that came before us .