The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Bosshoff

H & R cut down and Night Bead Sight install recomendation

I have a H & R 12 gauge I want cut down to a legal 18.5". i also want to have a XS Big Dot Tritium sight (or similar) installed. I have been toying with the idea of having a 3.0" section of Picatinny rail silver soldered or epoxied to the underside of the barrel to mount a light. This is a home defense gun for my 76 father to keep at his secluded lake house. After I get the barrel shortened, I am going to send it off to be Magna-Ported. Does anyone have a gunsmith (TFL guy) who they would recommend for this shotgun work? I would rather UPS the barrel out, than drive around to see my local idiots. Concerning the rail idea, someone is going to have to match the radius of the barrel. Obviously, this will take a competant machinest, this is partly the reason I want to send it out. Thanks.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:09 AM   #2
oneounceload

Magnaporting won't do anything for recoil, but it WILL increase the noise, which from a short barrel shotgun is already loud.

There are various clamps on the market that might work for your light that just clamp on the barrel (or mag tube on a pump). Whether or not they might work would depend on the taper of the barrel from breech to muzzle. That same taper might make it a little more interesting when shortening the barrel - it usually take a jig of some type to keep the cut perfectly square.

Good luck, let us know what you did
Old September 8, 2010, 09:12 AM   #3
TimberWolf7.62

Maybe one of these clamp-on rails would work: http://www.combathunting.com/H_R_NEF...l_Mount_1.html