The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2001, 06:41 PM   #1
Nanaimo Barr

ok, silly question, we live in a hight dust enviornment, I'm a bit worried about dust getting into dies,brass, powder mesures etc etc.

advice on how to and what to use for cleaning dies and powder messure?

NB

Old June 2, 2001, 10:31 PM   #2
Contender

NB,

For the dies, I'd use a solvent that evaporates like Brakleen and the like but you could use bore solvent also.

The measure is a bit trickier because some of these solvents can eat plastic and damage paint. I've washed my Uniflow in hot soapy water to kill static cling and set it to air dry. Just make sure the water is hot to warm the metal well to aid drying. And watch the plastic.

Having said that, first see if you can just wipe the measure off good without too much trouble with a good, clean, cotton rag. After that make yourself a dust cover for it. Keep your dies stored in their boxes when you can also.

Regards
Old June 3, 2001, 12:07 PM   #3
Edward429451

I use Simple Green for cleaning all my guns and dies and stuff. I got a little stainless parts pan thing and pour simple green in it and use a parts/paint brush on em at first, let em soak awhile, come back and tooth brush em and Q-tips, rinse under hot water, then another pan for the Break Free oil cure for awhile, then a clean cloth and more Q-tips for a mirror like cleanness! Hope this helps! Oh yea, a pillow case for a dust cover!
Old June 3, 2001, 05:07 PM   #4
Nanaimo Barr

much thanks, does the powder messure require lube as well? (older hornaday, it's been thowing eratic weights of Unique the last couple of times..)

NB
Old June 3, 2001, 07:47 PM   #5
Contender

NB,

Get some of the Graphite Lock Spray at the hardware store. It is usually graphite in an evaporating carrier. Pull the drum out of the measure, wipe the surfaces clean and spray the stuff on the drum surface that rides in the measure housing. Let it dry fully, then reinstall it in the housing. The graphite won't harm anything. DO NOT use any petroleum based lubes on the measure surfaces that come in contact with the powder.

You can also run a hopper full or two of a heavily graphited deterrent coated powder like unique, etc. through the measure a few times to coat the surfaces with excess graphite from the powder. Adjust the stem in the drum open to full cavity.

Regards
Old June 3, 2001, 08:18 PM   #6
Nanaimo Barr

again, much thanks Contender, I never would have thought of using Lock Lube on my messure, you guys have been fantastic answering all these newby questions...

NB