The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 2, 2014, 09:07 AM   #1
BarryLee

Another Idiot Gun Owner

On July 1 Georgia’s new expanded gun laws go into effect. So, on this day we have two individuals who apparently could legally carry enter a store in Valdosta, Ga. One individual notices the other person is armed and demands to see his license. He also pulled his gun, but never actually pointed it at anyone. The second individual stated that he was not required by law to show his identification, paid for his purchase and left the store. After exiting the store he called Police who upon arriving arrested the first individual. Valdosta Police Chief Childress said, “This is an example of my concern with the new gun law that people will take the law into their own hands which we will not tolerate”.

Obviously there are idiots associated with any group and it’s unfair to judge the entire group based on the actions of a few. However, we have a larger number of very influential people seeking to deny us our rights and incidents like this play into their negative stereotype of gun owners. Also, the fact that it occurred on the first day of the new law is getting more media coverage than it probably otherwise would have.

I’m not really sure what to say and I suppose there could be more to the story than what the media is reporting. However, we need to conduct ourselves in the proper manner and demand that other firearms enthusiast do the same.

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/to...eads-to-arrest
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 2, 2014, 09:22 AM   #2
jonnyc

Another reason why I personally believe Concealed is much better than Open carry. It is nobody's business whether or what I'm carrying.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:28 AM   #3
ELMOUSMC

DUH!!

Here in Iowa the dope who pulled his gun would be charged with branishing a firearm-endangering public safety and possiibly assault with a deadly weapon automatic loss of concealed carry permit and in some cases loss of all 2nd amendment rights as well he should
ELMO
Old July 2, 2014, 09:33 AM   #4
BarryLee

I’m not sure I see this as an open carry issue. While the article doesn’t specifically say how they were carrying their guns I suppose we can assume it was open carry. However, I’ve noticed folks in public who at least appeared to be concealing a firearm.

The main issue here is a gun owner assuming that because he has a right to carry a gun he also has a right to enforce the law. The interesting fact is that the law actually prohibits random license checks of gun owners.

The worst thing here is the timing – it just makes us look bad.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 2, 2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Kimio

Having a gun on your hip does not automatically give one the right to be a vigilante, while his intentions may have been good, his approach was all wrong. He has absolutely zero authority to demand identification or what have you from anyone.

Last I checked only LEO's and a few others can demand to see such information. The guy was a fool, and I sure hope he learned his lesson. It's a shame we have people like this that give gun owners a bad name, I for one am a form believer in CC. I don't want any unneeded attention being drawn my way due to that "big iron" hanging off my hip.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:38 AM   #6
45Gunner

Point well made: Every gun owner has to think as if he represents all gun owners. Anything negative casts a dispersion on all of us and the media is all to willing to blow it up out of proportion while positive situational outcomes get little if any media coverage.
NRA Life Member
Old July 2, 2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
Last I checked only LEO's and a few others can demand to see such information.
Except as allowed under certain laws, NO ONE including LE can demand that you produce ID just to assuage their curiosity.

LE can not just stop you and start looking at ID and asking questions unless they can articulate a reasonable suspicion of a crime.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:48 AM   #8
dgerwin11

I wish we had more of the back story. It does not seem to be entirely related to our "Guns Everywhere" law.

The problem responsible gun owners face is that no matter what idiot action some clown makes, if he is carrying a firearm, the story will be about the firearm, not the unrelated idiocy.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:50 AM   #9
MtnCreek

The title of the article is misleading. "First day of new gun law leads to arrest" If there is any link to the new law and the ridiculous actions of the guy in the store, I missed it.

Glad the one guy was coolheaded. If he was a hothead, things could have turned out bad.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:56 AM   #10
dgerwin11

FWIW,

The new gun law in Georgia expanded the places where you can legally carry. The scenario presented could have just as easily have happened a month or a year ago.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:15 AM   #11
BarryLee

Quote:
The scenario presented could have just as easily have happened a month or a year ago.
Yes, this is correct. However, the media is using incidents like this to demonize gun owners, the politicians who support us and the new law in general. While this one incident will have little impact I suspect we’ll see them publicizing every little issue and I guess we just have to accept that.

The original article is from the Valdosta paper, but the Atlanta media is also covering this issue. The AJC has been very unfair in their coverage of the new laws and promote a clear anti-gun agenda. While Georgia is fairly gun friendly I suspect the folks in Colorado felt the same just a few years ago.

This just underscores the importance of being engaged and encouraging other gun owners to do the same. Vote, call, write, donate, join, etc…
- Milton Friedman
Old July 2, 2014, 10:25 AM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The main issue here is a gun owner assuming that because he has a right to carry a gun he also has a right to enforce the law.
...and that he's drawing a weapon when there is no imminent threat.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Kimio

Gun owners. Sometimes we're our own worst enemies. The meat heads are typically the ones that, sadly, get the most media time.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy a while back, ask if I'd fire my gun at an assailant if one of those nut jobs with a gun was shooting up a store or something.

Long story short I told him "No, my responsibility is to keep me and my own safe. Unless I am ABSOLUTELY certain who the bad guy is, and have no risk of hurting another, then maybe just maybe I'll fire my gun. Even then I will likely decide not to, and just choose to scoot my ass and my loved ones out of the area of immediate danger"

Having a gun does not make me a sheep dog guarding and protecting the flocks of sheeple that surround me. Nor does it make me any more of a LEO than Johnny rent-a-cop at my local mall.

Last edited by Kimio; July 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

^^^^
Wisdom is in those words.
Old July 2, 2014, 11:04 AM   #15
TXAZ

I note in a recent CCW/CHL class I took, it will on average cost you $10-$25k to shoot someone in self-defense in Texas, and likely $1k+ to publicly unholster in public, it makes you wonder about some of these boneheads. That assumes there was justification, and hopefully brain=engaged. Other states may be more or less.

If only stupidity and idiocy were crimes, and common sense was taught in school...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; July 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old July 2, 2014, 11:54 AM   #16
spacemanspiff

And a week ago we were discussing the topic of whether or not an armed individual is justified in drawing on someone who jumped out of a car to yell at them.

Idiots are obviously out 'there', but some are also mixed into this virtual community as well. Hopefully, people use this community to educate themselves.
Old July 2, 2014, 01:53 PM   #17
A400 Fan

Quote:
Another reason why I personally believe Concealed is much better than Open carry. It is nobody's business whether or what I'm carrying.
Agree 1000%

Quote:
The main issue here is a gun owner assuming that because he has a right to carry a gun he also has a right to enforce the law. The interesting fact is that the law actually prohibits random license checks of gun owners.
It is only going to take a few more instances like this and things will go south (pun intended) quickly. Just carry under your shirt

Quote:
LE can not just stop you and start looking at ID and asking questions unless they can articulate a reasonable suspicion of a crime.
Up until the last election, it was legal in NYC
Old July 2, 2014, 03:11 PM   #18
JimDandy

I'm still shocked at all the hoopla about how "extreme" and "unprecedented" the new Georgia law is. I thought it was pretty "Meh" myself. What is it that I'm not getting? Almost half the states allow or don't prohibit some form of carry in establishments serving alcohol. I don't think I've even been in a state that considered a church a "sensitive area". The only part that rang my bell was not taking fingerprints for renewals which seemed like a long over due "Duh!" moment. Am I off on this, or was it really not that big of a deal?
Old July 2, 2014, 03:44 PM   #19
BarryLee

Quote:
Am I off on this, or was it really not that big of a deal?
No, you are correct. The local media and in particular The Atlanta Journal has run almost daily articles either directly or indirectly attempting to demonize gun owners and this law. Many of their stories have been inaccurate at best and at worst outright lies. Some of this is probably journalistic laziness and some driven by a general anti-gun agenda.

Also, this is an election year in Georgia and the perception anyway is that one party favors guns while the other opposes them. I’ll let you guess which party The AJC tends to favor. I think they hope to generate negative opinion of the other party’s candidates by using this law and the issue of guns in general. The ironic thing is both gubernatorial candidates supported the law, but almost all the negative comments seem to be focused on only one of them.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 5, 2014, 11:53 AM   #20
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
Except as allowed under certain laws, NO ONE including LE can demand that you produce ID just to assuage their curiosity
Exactly. I find it very hard to believe that the true idiot here (idiot #1) who brandished and demanded, was validly carrying with a license. Call me crazy, but this sounds like a contrived plant/plot by the zealot lefties who have a tremendous vested interest in some stories showing the law to be an (alleged) failure.
Old July 5, 2014, 12:54 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The local media and in particular The Atlanta Journal has run almost daily articles either directly or indirectly attempting to demonize gun owners and this law.
The main problem is, there's Atlanta and there's the rest of Georgia. Those two entities are almost comically opposite each other on many things.

Unfortunately, Atlanta is where many conclusions are drawn and perceptions are created.
Old July 5, 2014, 01:19 PM   #22
BarryLee

I’ve heard a lot of folks say that rural voters will never support more gun control. While this may be true the fact is that over half of Georgia residents live in the broader metro area and are potentially exposed to the media misinformation. Obviously we’ll never have the reach that the major media outlets do, so all we can do is support like minded candidates and attempt to get the word out.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 5, 2014, 09:22 PM   #23
jonnyc

"The main problem is, there's Atlanta and there's the rest of Georgia."

We have that same 'gun problem' in PA.
Old July 5, 2014, 09:38 PM   #24
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
We have that same 'gun problem' in PA.
You're right. The Philadelphia/Pennsylvania divide is very similar to what we have.

Quote:
While this may be true the fact is that over half of Georgia residents live in the broader metro area and are potentially exposed to the media misinformation.
Those are the folks we have to reach, for the most part. Rural voters in Georgia aren't nearly as involved, and their turnout in local elections leaves quite a bit to be desired.
Old July 7, 2014, 03:23 AM   #25
Brotherbadger

Holy god, these people probably breed too.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "