The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 5, 2001, 12:56 PM   #1
Rodger Parrish

I just purchased this .36 cal. from "The sportsmans guide". It is a "Traditions" pistol. The question I have is the barrel wedge doesn't go into it's slot far enough for the little catch to engage, but it doesn't want to move out either. I've owned several black powder handguns over the years. But they were all either Remington copies or single shots. No colt copies. I thought maybe shooting it a few times might loosen things up. Just wondering. (Oh, I did loosen the retaining screw before trying to move the wedge.

Thanks
-Rodger
Old January 5, 2001, 11:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The retaining screw and spring keep the wedge from falling all the way out when removing the barrel. If the wedge is too tight it can be fitted, but I do suggest firing the gun a few times. When you do fit the barrel and wedge, remember the idea is to have the back vertical plane of the barrel parallel with the front of the cylinder or at 90 degrees with the axis line of the cylinder arbor, while keeping the barrel-cylinder gap to a minimum. In other words, the line of the barrel top should be parallel to the line of the cylinder top.

Jim