The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Hundy

RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner

I bought a RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner about a month ago. Still have not been able to use it. This is due the fact I cannot find RCBS Formula 2 Corn Cob media. I have been checking my local stores about 3 times a week and I check my online sites, so far nothing.
I was curious if anyone has the RCBS Vibratory cleaner and if anyone has used other media in it and what the results were?
I am new to cleaning cases this way, I was also wondering if anyone adds any product in with the media?
I have been able to find Lyman brand media, just wanted to know if anyone has used it and results.

Thank you

Jay
Old April 19, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Lemmon

Harbor Freight walnut media

Welcome to the Firing Life Forum.... If you have a Harbor Freight nearby then buy some of their walnut media. This will clean your brass. MidwayUSA sells Frankford Arsenal Brass Case Polish which also works great for me. The secret of using this case polish is to run your RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner with the dry Walnut media and pour the case polish in as DIRECTED in the instruction. Let it run until the case polish has been absorbed in the Walnut Media. 20 minutes or more then place the brass in and let it cook. An hour or so later you will be happy with the results.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
jag2

It doesn't matter what you use. Walnut or corn cob (treated or untreated) or something called lizard litter that many get from a pet store or walmart. They all work so try what you want and find what works best for you and that you get easily.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I just go to Granger to get 20/40 corncob media in a 40 pound bag. I think it was about $25. I have cleaned a lot of brass and still have plenty left. You can add things like Dillon brass cleaner or NuFinish car polish to get corncob to clean faster or as with the car polish not tarnish very fast.

Remember to let the media run without brass if you use any additives to let them get distributed throughout the media. I find the Granger media is much finer than corncob from the pet department in stores. It works well.
Old April 20, 2013, 04:43 AM   #5
under_dawg

+1 on the lizard litter. I have used the walnut litter with a cap full of nu shine carwax in orange bottle for years. 1 cap full will do several batches of bullets. The last bag of lizard litter was much finer than the first bag, it may not even clog the primer hole, but I quit decapping before tumbling and haven't tried it yet.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Hundy

Thank you

Thanks for the information. I am going to look for one of those alternate media suggestions. I appreciate the directions also. I will probably get some form of wax and run prior to adding brass. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks agian for the info

Jay
Old April 20, 2013, 12:08 PM   #7
SVTCobra306

I use lyman treated walnut media, it gets everything nice and shiny. It does take a while, I just throw a hundred or so cases in and let'er run all night. Mine isn't an RCBS cleaner, but the brand of media and cleaner don't have to match.
Old April 20, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

One thing I have noticed when cleaning my brass is it works better if the number of cases I do at one time is some place between 50% to max the machine is rated for. They seem to clean faster that way.

Putting a dryer sheet in the bottom tends to keep dust to a minimum as well. Even some strips of cloth will help keep the dust down.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:28 PM   #9
wncchester

"I will probably get some form of wax and run prior to adding brass."

Not "wax', get auto polish, any will do nicely
Old April 20, 2013, 08:38 PM   #10
primerman

I found that the Lyman walnut media with the red rouge (what I call it) leaves the red stuff on my brass after cleaning and I found that annoying. I moved on to fine corn cob media and now us a mix of corn cob and walnut. I has a small amount of each so I mixed them to save on space. I think the corn cob by itself leaves the brass a little shinier but the walnut will clean just as well. You can't go wrong with either but there are other places to buy this media cheaper than the brand names and it works just as well.
Old April 21, 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
buck460XVR

In a pinch, dry rice, straight from the bag/box has been known to do a fair job at cleaning brass in a vibratory case cleaner. Brass does not to be shiny as new, it just has to be clean enough not to damage your dies. The Lyman brand media works very well, but as has been stated, if it is the treated walnut, it will leave jeweler's rouge on your cases and hands.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:29 AM   #12
hooligan1

Walnut media from Harbor Freight is what's in my Thumler, mixed with fine corncobb, A splash of mineral spirits, and 1 tablespoon of Nu-Finish, it's over thirty years old and still does a wonderful job in about 2 hours, overnight if I want to see my reflection.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Hundy

Car Wax?

I got some corn cob media today. One of the the things I that got my attention was the mention of adding wax type products. I went and looked in my garage, the only wax I currentyl have is meguiars car wax. I think it's pretty simular to Nu-Finish.
Just curious if anyone uses specific wax or will any old car wax work. If I read these correct, you add small amount and run prior to adding brass?
Any info is appreciated.

Thank you

Jay
Old April 23, 2013, 06:33 AM   #14
hooligan1

Just a tablespoon or so and mix it by hand real good, then flop your brass in there and your on the way.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Misssissippi Dave

You are looking for liquid type car polish. Turtle wax will work to a point. NuFinish is more of a polymer type and works better in my opinion.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:20 AM   #16
BigV

I have been using THIS STUFF for years. Available at any Petsmart location and inexpensive. Works great as well.