The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2013, 10:30 PM   #1
reloader28

Clays for 44 mag

Anybody tried Clays in a 44 mag? Maybe you should.

I have almost 8lbs of Clays left and wanted a load going 1000fps, I thought what the heck, I'll give it a go.

Since I now make my own gas checks, I was using an RCBS 240gr gas check SWC. It drops out at 245gr with straight WW. I started at 6.5 gr in my Ruger and it was surprisingly good. I went up to 7.5gr and now its putting the bullets into a single hole that barely has a cloverleaf shape at 15yds. Its basically one round hole. IF I do my job.

Finally got the chrono out and it was 998fps average. Not quite the 1000fps I was hoping for, but close enough. And a nice very managable recoil. I tried that same load in my Dragoon the next day and it was overlapping the holes at 15yds. I am very happy with this load and it shoots great in both my pistols. Have 2 friends pistols to try it in, but all my other loads work good in theirs so I'm hoping this one does too and with only 7.5gr, I have enough to shoot a looonnnggg time.

Last edited by reloader28; January 30, 2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old January 30, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

As much as I like Clays (I use a lot of it in .45 ACP), I don't use it much in my magnum revolver calibers because it's so easy to do a double charge. I tend to use 231 much more for sub-1000 fps loads in the magnums.

Regardless, it sure sounds like you've found a great combination there.

Mike
Old January 30, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
snuffy

145?

I just looked for a 145 grain .44 mold on the RCBS site. The lightest they offered was a 200 grainer.

Otherwise, there's no reason why clays wouldn't work for a 245 grain bullet. I bet it's also very clean burning?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 30, 2013, 01:53 PM   #4
mjes92

I also have a lot of CLAYS powder to use up. I have gotten similar accuracy results loading clays in .38 spl. It is very impressive and clean burning. My only complaint is it doesn't meter very well in my brand new Horanady powder measure. I'm loading a very light charge of 2.8 grains, but has dropped as much as 3.2 grains. Which is still under max load. Percentage wise that is a pretty large deviation. I plan to stay well under max charge for that reason.

Do you really need a "gas check" if you keep it under 1000 fps ???
More than one publication stated "no gas check required" as long as you keep it under 1000 fps. You would think it has more to do with burn rate than fps.

I just happen to be planning to use Clays for 44 mag and was searching to see if others have had any success. Guess I got my answer.

Thanks again Reloader28

I've been a member for two days and you have been helpful twice. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by mjes92; January 30, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:58 PM   #5
reloader28

Sorry for the typo. I fixed it. It is 245gr from a 240gr mold. And it is a very clean load.

I think it is a higher pressure load. I dont know if you need a gas check or not, but since i have a check maker, I figured I would try them to see anyway. They only cost me about $1.30/400. I like gas checks.

I am going to try this powder with the 245gr RCBS SWC when I get the next chance. My last ones dropped at 260gr from this mold. Little bigger meplat, but they have too long of nose to fit my rifle unless I seat them deep.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:32 PM   #6
totaldla

I use it for plinkers too in 44mag. I like the fact that it easy to visually check for a double as the funky green flakes are easy to see. It doesn't hide in the case like TiteGroup (color of soot).