The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 12, 2002, 02:54 PM   #1
Carbon_15

Just finished building my new gun cabinet

Well, with a kid on the way the under-the-bed storage days or over. I wanted a safe, but dont really have anywhere to put it. Typical gun cabinets don't particularly match my wifes vision of decor, so I had to find something unconventional. Besides, most store bought gun cabinets have plenty of long gun storage and little in the way of handgun space, besides simple shelves. I finaly desided on buying and modifying a wardrobe type cabinet. It ended up being the perfect solution. With simple brass hooks I could situate the guns how I wanted them, and easily change the layout in the future as new additions come along. I could put the cabinet right in my bedroom without it looking out of place...and I dont have to worry about my guns being in another room in the event of a nightime intruder. It also has 2 built in cabinets that are perfect for storeing ammo, mags, holster, etc. All I had to do to modify it was remove the shelving, remove the pressboard back, and replace it with a piece of pool table felt wraped plywood..then moun the hooks.
Just wondering if anyone else has built any unconventional gun cabinets. By that I mean departures from the tradition glass door cabinets and steel safes.

Now I just need to get my A$$ in gear and finish mounting my guns. Only got a few more to mount, but I ran out of hooks

Not sure if this belongs in the handgun forum, but seeing as the majority of the contents are handguns....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-014f.jpg (62.8 KB, 605 views)

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old April 12, 2002, 02:55 PM   #2
Carbon_15

inside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-020f.jpg (161.4 KB, 561 views)

Old April 12, 2002, 03:03 PM   #3
Fred

Great idea!

I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.
Old April 12, 2002, 03:09 PM   #4
MP Freeman

I like the outside appearance of the cabinet. Looks nice and unassuming. Inside looks kinda cool too. Kinda like a 007 Bond movie or something out of a mini-Matrix.

Questions:

How about locking the cabinet?

How about moisture and contamination resistance?

Can you hide the entire unit inside a walk-in closet?

-----

I am nearly done with finishing my basement and I built a corner closet with a locking door. Inside the closet is my gun safe.

I like keeping the low profile myself. Uptight, white and out-of-sight.

MP Freeman
Old April 12, 2002, 03:29 PM   #5
CZ Gunner

Looks great .... but if I were a crook, that would be one of the first places I'd attack. It just screams "goodies inside".

What about locks? Just how "kid proof" is it? I mean, by the time they are 6, they'll have figured out what is in it and already be looking for a way in ... if typical kids. (Especially boys!)

Bottom-line: It is super. You did a nice job and it's 10 times better than those "glass front" jobbies!

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD
Old April 12, 2002, 03:54 PM   #6
Slabside

Very, very nice indeed! Give us the specs. Please tell what brand, cost, etc. Would like to do the same. My wife would approve this request for sure.

Thanks,
Slabside
Heros may be found in the most unlikely of places
Old April 12, 2002, 04:56 PM   #7
Gewehr98

Cool idea!

A gun armoire! I would have thought at first appearance that it was either a TV or computer cabinet, but that ain't bad, ain't bad at all!

Now I wonder if I can get my wife to spring for one to modify...

Neural Misfires
Old April 12, 2002, 05:11 PM   #8
Jason Demond

Nice!
Old April 12, 2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Carbon_15

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Sometimes its hard to tell how a project comes out untill you get some opinions from other gun-nuts.
As far as specifics, The cabinet itself was about $250 from a local furniture store. I think the particular one I got was made by Saunder. The hooks came from the Muzzleloader section of my neighborhood gunshop, think I spent about $15 a pair on them. The pool table Felt and spray fabric glue came from the fabric store (I was the only guy there. Thought it was pretty cool untill I realized they probly figured I was, well..) for around $30. I got the battery powered under-the-cabinet style florecent light from Wal-Mart for about $25.
You can't really see it in the picture, but I drilled a hole in the top of the cabinet, down through the top of the door and instaled brass detent captured pins to secure it. Its less obvious than a lock, is unnoticable unless you are really tall, and dosnt require a key. That means I can get access to my guns in an emergency simply by pulling the pin.

Old April 12, 2002, 06:38 PM   #10
VaughnT

Very nice! It reminds me of a cabinet I once saw in a rich man's house. The only difference was that his had the interior clad in thin steel for security. It looked otherwise identical.

Love the idea and can't wait to try it out for myself.
Old April 12, 2002, 07:01 PM   #11
DanP

Well, first: Congrats on the incoming baby!!

Gun cabinet: Very very nice!

Thanks for the pics, you are helping with ideas.
Old April 12, 2002, 08:19 PM   #12
blades67

Well done.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 12, 2002, 08:23 PM   #13
harrydog

beautiful work!
Old April 12, 2002, 08:30 PM   #14
Rolkin

very nice looking and kid proof for years to come!

Do you have a securing device for the ammo drawers? i assume thats where you put your ammo, not that a kid would do any harm but he might lose a couple rounds
Thomas Jefferson: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
-- Quoting 18th Century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764.)
Old April 12, 2002, 09:30 PM   #15
Dwight M S

Very clever Corbon, very resourceful. Now I know what I'll do about getting a gun cabinet. I'll bet you've just started a new trend.
Dwight M S
Old April 12, 2002, 09:43 PM   #16
Ewok_Guy

Very tight work!

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old April 12, 2002, 11:44 PM   #17
NapAttack

Very ingenious idea!! Just the thing I was looking for and couldn't figure out exactly what I wanted. I especially like the idea of the pins down through the top. I've been looking for a way to secure it without a key for a while. Thanks.
Old April 13, 2002, 07:26 AM   #18
tlhelmer

That is supersweet! Nice Job.
Old April 13, 2002, 09:15 AM   #19
Kharn

Very cool. Now, go watch The Big Hit for some more ideas. Also, a dropping (falling? I cant remember the correct word) dead bolt would be ideal for locking those two doors together.

Kharn
Old April 13, 2002, 10:49 AM   #20
Hkmp5sd

Great idea, it really does look sharp! Only concern, as mentioned before, would be about theft. I wonder if you could find a welder and have the inside of the cabinet lined with 3/8" or 1/2" steel plate along with a hinged door and have a serious lock put on it.

NRA Life Member
Old April 13, 2002, 02:53 PM   #21
Carbon_15

Hkmp5sd, CZ Gunner..your absolutely right about it not being very theft proof. But I really never ment it to be. Nothing shy of a gunsafe really is. Besides, my house itself is fairly secure and I have my guns listed on my homeowners insurance.

Old April 13, 2002, 03:56 PM   #22
CZ Gunner

Carbon 15:

Looking back at my post, it reads a little more critical than I intended. Sorry about that. Was just trying to point out possible areas / ideas worth thinking about.

I your work it is fantastic. If you ever wanted to have a "working retirement" one day, you could probably do very well with these ... in your "spare" time.

Note: The rod down through the top is a stroke of genius. Great idea! You know, if you ever needed to lock it, you could probably modify it to take a lock / bolt up there pretty easily too.

Finally, you're absolutely correct, that is what insurance is for!

Gunner

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD

Last edited by CZ Gunner; April 13, 2002 at 08:06 PM.
Old April 13, 2002, 04:15 PM   #23
gorlitsa

Quote:
The pool table Felt and spray fabric glue came from the fabric store (I was the only guy there. Thought it was pretty cool untill I realized they probly figured I was, well..)
Nope. As a girl who spends too much time in fabric stores, I can assure you that they all assumed you were on a 'Honey-do' errand for the wife who forgot something for her project. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they were checking your ring finger. Men who know how to buy non-wood items 'by the yard' are fairly rare.
Old April 13, 2002, 06:07 PM   #24
Carbon_15

Not at all CZ, I didnt take it as hostile or insulting. Your point was absolutley correct. But I guess If they want 'em, there going to get 'em regardless. Thanks for the positive comments CZ..and everyone. I put a lot of work into it, and to be honest wasnt sure if it came off with the classy look I was going for, or just looked hokey. Its nice to get opinions from others with like minds.

Old April 13, 2002, 10:55 PM   #25
DanP

I like this setup so much that I actually went out scouting today for cabinets.

Figured even if it is the Office Depot type stuff I could always reinforce it with metal planks and good locks without affecting the outward appearance.

Here is one of those dark questions: should something horrible happen and someone manages to gain access (as in breaking the unit with power tools) and cause damage to another...

Wonder if, in these less than logical times, for liability purposes (perception) one may be better off owning a cheaper, weaker commercial "safe" than a stronger self-built unit.

Thoughts?
Closed Thread