The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
VHinch

Questions on Alliant Promo

I got a good deal on a keg of Promo recently, so I'm venturing into the bulk powder arena, and have a few questions.

For starters, I have been reloading for several years now, all for handguns and almost exclusively for .45, using mostly Bullseye and some Red Dot. I shoot an average of 1k rounds a month, so my reloading is geared toward production, not precision.

I know that Promo is loaded using Red Dot data by weight, and I have plenty of historical data for my guns using Red Dot. My normal load using Red Dot is 4.8-5.0 gr behind a 230gr RNL bullet, so I want to start at around 4.5 gr of Promo and work up. My question is, since Promo is a flake powder, will all of my charges have to be individually weighed? I found a powder measure setting that should throw 4.5 gr of Promo, and threw 50 charges. They all came in between 4.4 and 4.8 gr, with the vast majority being 4.6 or 4.7.

The way I see it, there are two ways to look at this. One is Promo is just not going to throw consistent charges so I'll have to weigh every charge. The other is don't be overly concerned with it, as all the charges are still well within normal limits.

Am I overthinking this?

Last edited by VHinch; June 13, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old June 13, 2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Jim Watson

For MY use, I find the same sort of powder charge variation with 700X to not be a problem.

What do you mean by "blended?"
Old June 13, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
VHinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
What do you mean by "blended?"
I honestly have no idea where that came from, I think I meant to say flake, but my brain and my fingers got disconnected.
Old June 14, 2009, 11:17 AM   #4
EmptyHull

I've used Promo for a few years now and never had an issue with it. Maybe a tenth either way. I have just started reloading pistols again, after 30 years, and just made a load of 250 gr LRNFP with a Wolf LP primer( all I could find ) and 5.5 gr of Promo. I called Alliant and they said any load between 5-6 should be ok. My Lyman book shows Red Dot recipe is 4.5 to 6.5 gr and you use the weight with Promo powder. I'll let ya know how the Promo shoots. Tim
Old June 15, 2009, 11:16 AM   #5
FM12

Loadand go. Don'y worry about .1-.5 grain differences in handgun. YMMV, but i dout it, FM12
Old June 16, 2009, 05:12 AM   #6
EmptyHull

I couldn't tell the difference between factory Winchesters and my Promo reloads. Tim
Old June 21, 2009, 06:48 AM   #7
EmptyHull

I am thinking about reducing the load to an even 5 grs of Promo for less recoil. I guess I am going backwards with this recipe. Tim