The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 24, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
timgd

M1 ?

I just received my first M1 Garand from the cmp, where do I look for a date of manufacture.I have it striped down but I don't see anything obvious. Also the stock is not in to bad shape but has a lot of dings and divits I have heard about steaming the wood to raise the grain but I have never tried it. Am I better off buying A replacement stock or should I give it a try.
Old January 24, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Calfed

M1 garands, and most other US military rifles are not dated by date of manufacture. You MAY be able to determine the month and year of the manufacture of your Garand receiver by checking the serial number of the receiver at several websites that have that information.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/m1serial.htm

That one is as good as any of them.

You will also find that unlike many other nation's military rifles, US rifles do not have a myriad of parts marked with "matching serial numbers". Usually the best you can do with a US rifle is match the individual part's manufacturer's codes and/or "drawing numbers" to determine if your rifle is "correct".

Congrats on your new purchase and post some pics when you can
Old January 24, 2009, 08:13 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The barrels are dated, under the op rod, but that is the date the barrel was made, not the date the rifle was made, and the barrel could be a replacement.

Jim
Old January 24, 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
timgd

barrel markings

I have it all stripped down and these are the barrel markings. LMR D6535448 10 52 A4 P
This gun is going to be a shooter what are my options for optics.I would like to keep it looking semi original.I am not trying to make it look like a sniper rifle but my eye sight is not what not what it used to be. I will post some pictures after I finish cleaning and re assemble. Is the 10 52 the barrel manufacture date?
Old January 24, 2009, 09:37 PM   #5
timgd

Date of manufacture

SN indicates April of 1944. I will post some pictures tomorrow but the gun is not pretty. It looks like it was road hard and put to bed wet.
Old January 24, 2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Calfed

Ahh, Line Materials barrel. Very good--one of the best if it is still in good shape.

Limited on optics. S&K makes a no drill scope mount. I have no experience with it, so not sure how well it holds zero.

You can use a Griffen and Howe side mount, but it would require drilling your receiver and I understand that they are quite pricey. It would also affect the value of your Garand.

Might want to investigate NM sights instead.

Good luck
Old January 28, 2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Chipperman

Pictures, or it gets the hose!

Quote:
SN indicates April of 1944. I will post some pictures tomorrow but the gun is not pretty. It looks like it was road hard and put to bed wet.
Just think of the History, though. You have a Gen-U-wine Wartime M1. Who knows what it saw and did?
Old January 28, 2009, 05:29 PM   #8
FALPhil

For optics, you may want to try the AmegaRanges front hand guard which installs without alterations, and puts the optics forward of the receiver in a "scout" style configuration. But shoot it with the peep sights first. They are pretty darned good for an MBR.

Also, unless you paid 4 or 5 figures for your Garand from the CMP, then you can be 100% sure that your rifle has been rearsenaled at least once and that many of the parts are from a number of manufacturers and date ranges.

Here is a pic of my second CMP Garand that I purchased about 3 years ago.

Old January 28, 2009, 08:55 PM   #9
timgd

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Amegarange hand guard. As for the pictures I'll post them when I figure out how to get them from my desk top to this thread. I know how good the peep sights can be my 1st tour in R.V.N. we were still carrying the M-14 rifle. The problem with iron sights is I can see the front blade and the target but not the rear sight.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Beretta16

Maybe I'm understanding your previous statement incorrectly, but you don't want to see the rear sight on a Garand. The purpose of a peep is that you can look through it and only focus on the front sight.

Congrats on the LMR barrel as well, one of the best barrels made for the Garand and somewhat rare.

To post pictures upload them to a photobucket account and post the links in the [img] brackets.
Old January 29, 2009, 05:42 PM   #11
Cowart

Quote:
The problem with iron sights is I can see the front blade and the target but not the rear sight
You look through the rear sight, like you're looking through a hole in a fence.
Old January 30, 2009, 09:01 PM   #12
P5 Guy

The LMR barrel was made in October of 1952 (10 52 A4P)
So, not only in the 2nd World War but this gun could have been in Korea too.
You've got a possible two war veteran there
Old January 31, 2009, 03:56 PM   #13
kraigwy

Mined, according to that site, mine was made in Aug 1941. Sucker is in pretty good shape for such an old gal.

Those dark spots on the stock aren't wear, its firm grip spray from shooting highpower.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 31, 2009, 04:51 PM   #14
JWT

I've used steaming with reasonable success to raise dings in stocks and other wood (furniture). It's worth a try on your stock, especially if you're considering replacement anyhow. I use a moderately damp folded cloth and heat it over the ding with a clothes iron to steam as small an area as possible and only raise the area I want raised.
Old February 2, 2009, 10:53 PM   #15
Walter

Quote:
Limited on optics. S&K makes a no drill scope mount. I have no experience with it, so not sure how well it holds zero.
I bought one of those scope mounts about 25 years ago to put on my
Winchester M1, and I would recommend you "pass" on it. The mount is
attached to the receiver via one shoulder bolt through the rear sight
mounting wings. It's just not a very stable mounting, and I could never
get mine to hold a zero.

Maybe others have had better luck.

Walter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&K scope mount 002.jpg (78.0 KB, 20 views)