The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 18, 2002, 08:34 AM   #1
nascarnhlnra

Need help deciding which handheld surefire light to buy!

I may have to make a career change in the next 12-18 months and I am considering a career in law enforcement.While I am making the money I am now I want to purchase some of the more expensive pieces of equipment that I may not be able to afford later.One item I wish to purchase is a surefire handheld flashlight.Can you help me decide based on your experience which model would be perfect for HD use now and possible law enforcement later. Any LEO's that can think of any other expensive equipment I should consider also aquiring would be greatly appreciated. I know very little about these lights too. Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give me.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:07 PM   #2
blades67

Try the 6Z Combat light.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:30 PM   #3
DEPUTY

SUREFIRE!

A top of the line vest from second chance, as far as surefires go i carry 2 on duty! a 9n on the belt and a 9p with the belt clip in my utility pocket! just in case 6p in the patrol bag! also a good ar or tactical shotgun cant hurt! but above all else go take a good class or two from a major school! good luck! remember i dont do it for the money!
Old July 19, 2002, 05:16 AM   #4
nascarnhlnra

Thanks for the input I hope to get a few more replys still yet this forum doesn't seem as busy as others here at TFL.Yesterday I ordered a Surefire M-2 for a start figyre that would be an excellent back up light or light to have on duty belt should I become an LEO.I too wouldn't be doing it for the money but money isn't everything I want a job I can feel like a real part of a team trhat's making a positive difference as well as something with a promising future.Down here in Florida the jobs that you can actually retire with any kind of pension are few and far between. I have a brand new Mossberg 590 12 gauge shotgun so hopefully that would suffice for a tactical shotgun it isn't the 590A1 but the 590 security model but does have the hicap tube and seems pretty tough to me.I appreciate any suggestion any current LEO's can give on possible equipment purchases.I also need to make sure that my left knee wouldn't disqualify me from becoming a deputy sheriff. A few years ago I was playing on a traveling Inline hockey league and blew out my ACL in my left knee. I can run and skate and all I just have to keep on the excercise bike to keep it strong.
Old July 19, 2002, 05:17 AM   #5
nascarnhlnra

PS Deputy how much $ would I be looking at for a vest like you mentioned.Thanks again. Dave
Old July 19, 2002, 06:57 AM   #6
DEPUTY

surefire

well let see, i belive mine cost close to 850.00 dollars, ill try to look up the reciept! level 3 concelable, super monarch +p gold etc. model weres like a t-shirt!
Old July 19, 2002, 08:57 AM   #7
nascarnhlnra

WOW thats some $ but my life is surely worth more than that I guess each deputy supplies their own vest?Thanks for your help.
Old July 19, 2002, 10:41 PM   #8
DEPUTY

SUREFIRE TO BUY

It is like the people i train, i ask them how much is your life worth?
Old July 22, 2002, 10:08 AM   #9
Mikul

Is there a SureFire light that isn't handheld? Is there some crew-served SureFire that I haven't heard about? Because if there's some 2 billion candlepower SureFire that can blind people on Pluto with 100 lithium batteries that last for 15 seconds, I WANT ONE!

Having said that for no logical reason... I do like my Z2 Combatlight.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:08 PM   #10
nascarnhlnra

There are weapon mounted versions of surefire lights.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:22 PM   #11
Vern Brink

Hmmmm, overall I think the CombatLight/M3 is the "best" light. You're going to have to decide on a balance between cost/runtime/output. I use a 9AN w/Turbohead for a primary use light because it's less expensive per minute since it's rechargeable. M3 as a sort of back-up/higher risk light. I like the output of the M3 a bit more, but it's more costly w/the HOLA. I also carry an E2e in a vest pocket.

All that said, I still own an M2 which is an excellent light. And a Z2. If you want to go all lithium, I think the Z3 primary w/the LOLA and a Z2 back-up w/the HOLA would be a good combination.

For duty use, I like a minimum of 100+ lumens. A turbo head might be nice on the Z3 too depending on how you would carry the light. As with everything else, YMMV
Old July 22, 2002, 12:26 PM   #12
nascarnhlnra

Thanks a bunch for your input Vern!
Old July 22, 2002, 08:56 PM   #13
Foxy

I have a 8NX Commander, and a friend of mine has the 9AN. We selected these mainly because we use them a lot, and rechargable batteries make a lot more sense than trying to find good deals on lithium batteries online.

To be honest, I don't know if I can tell a whole heckuva lot of difference in brightness between the two. However, the 9AN is more functional with the two light levels.

If I could afford it, I guess I would go with the 9AN.
Old July 26, 2002, 09:04 AM   #14
nascarnhlnra

Well as a follow up my M-2 surefire showed up yesterday that I ordered from LPS. I am impressed this light kicks tail bigtime for it's size or any size for that matter.I will surely buy some more from LPS it also helps that they advertise in SWAT too. Gonna get the wife one of those executive series lights from surefire.