The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2002, 09:28 PM   #1
KarlG

Winchester 9422 - Magazine Rod Falls Out - Help

I recently purchased a Winchester 9422 lever action 22 cal rifle with a tubular magazine. The brass rod with the spring inside that holds the ammo in the magazine has a very loose fit. It will easily fall out with no amunition in the magazine and seems quite loose and worrysome with just a few shells in the magazine.

Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do about it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karl
Old May 2, 2002, 01:52 AM   #2
Hal

My wife's 9422 Trapper had the same problem. I took it back where I bought it and they sent it back to Winchester. 10 days later it came back fixed. It looks like all they did was squeeze the end of the tube, where the cut out is, closed a little more.
Old May 2, 2002, 10:34 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Just a thought

If you want to try it at home, measure the outside diameter and then drill out a piece of hardwood such that it is one size smaller (get a numbered drill set). Cut hardwood such that it can clear the barrel (you'll remove the top part of the hole). Now, cut the hardwood block in half such that you can place it in a vise. Insert a drill that is slightly larger in diameter to the mag rod into the mag tube. This will prevent overcompression. Now, place mag tube (w/drill rod inserted) into wood blocks and squeeze gently in a vise.

However, if you dont want to do this, let the factory make the adjustment.
Old January 28, 2005, 04:33 AM   #4
toivo

A quick fix

4V50 Gary describes the right way to do it. Makes me almost ashamed to say how I did it on mine: I just took the rod out of the mag tube, wrapped a rag around the end of the tube, and squeezed it a bit with a pair of channel-lock pliers. The end of the tube might be a bit out-of-round now, but not so much as to be visible. And it grips the rod so that it no longer falls out.
Old January 31, 2005, 01:58 PM   #5
mcshot

Another successful user of the Toivo method.
Guess I could say "Eh!" too eh.

mc
Old February 19, 2005, 08:01 PM   #6
toivo

Just back from another forum, and they've got another fix for this problem: put an O-ring around the magazine rod, just under the knurled handle at the muzzle end. The O-ring will keep the rod from falling too far in when the magazine tube is empty--it will provide enough "outward" pressure to make sure the stud on the rod stays locked into the cutout on the mag tube. (The problem occurs when the mag tube is empty and there's no pressure to keep that stud locked into its slot.)