The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 23, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
KnotRight

Baby Desert Eagle vs Springfield XD-9

Been thinking about a 9mm for a while. The gun show was in town today and they had tons of pistols, AR15s and rifles. What was missing was revolvers.

I must have picked up every 9mm there twice and I think for what I am looking for it came down between the Magnum Reasrch Baby Desert Eagle II and the Springfield XD-9. The Desert Eagle was the steel frame. Looking for comments on both guns but more so the Desert Eagle.

I have a Springfield Arms XD-40 subcompact but never shot it.

Also, bricks of 22 were going from 75 to 100 dollars. No body was buying them.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:06 AM   #2
hemiram

I think the Baby Eagle II is a great gun, as are all the Tanfoglio guns, and it's one I want to get one of these days.

The XD is just another plastic thing.

The XD is an ok gun, but I would never buy one. It has zero appeal to me, like Glocks.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Kevin_d77

I too have a XD40. I have the all steel frame Baby Eagle, 1990's version from Israel. It is hands down my favorite gun. I also bought a XDm 9 in the 5.25" variety, it's almost a waste of money because I enjoy the Baby Eagle so muc more. The all steel frame soaks up recoil and make the 9mm feel like a .22.

I highly recommend that gun! You will not be disappointed and you will never have a need for the XD9 in my opinion.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:13 AM   #4

Get the baby eagle you will love it. Just make sure to get mec-gar mags for it. Good luck
Old March 25, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Fisher

I can't speak for the Baby Eagle II. However I do own the original Baby Eagle in 9mm and 45 acp. Both are outstand guns and function flawlessly. They are easy to breakdown and have never jammed or miss fired. If the II's are anything like the originals you can't go wrong.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old March 28, 2013, 05:23 AM   #6
hemiram

Only thing I see different is the BEII has a rail.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Haz251

I've had the Baby Eagle II for three years now. It is amazing! I've got the polymer frame so if you take steel be wary of the weight. Make sure to pick up some CZ75B mec gar mags for it. Get the ones with the afc coating. HOWEVER you will be hard pressed for accessories. Let me know if u have any questions
Old April 10, 2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Jager78

I just purchased my Baby Eagle II .40S&W Poly a little over two weeks ago but haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet.

I love the way it feels, looks, and points. To me it would be the M&P vs Baby Eagle II and not the Baby Eagle II vs XD.

With all of the GIII and GVI Glocks, FNXs, M&P's, HKs, and Sigs out there I really don't understand the fascination with XD's. Not bad guns by any means but what do they offer that other's do not?

I mean for approximately the same price you could get a FNX or a M&P which in my opinion are superior firearms when compared to the XD or XDM.

Last edited by Jager78; April 10, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:17 PM   #9
EdInk

Buy the XD.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:11 AM   #10
pgdion

The XD's are pretty nice but I'm in favor of the Dessert Eagle myself. I'm planning on picking up one in .40sw. I'm looking at the poly frame (made in Germany by Walther) with the SS slide. Has a great feel and some pretty cool features on it. It's striker fired but my understanding is it can be decocked to DA mode like a hammer gun can.

There's a little review here on it:
http://www.guns.com/reviews/magnum-r...e-fast-action/
Old April 11, 2013, 09:46 AM   #11
KnotRight

I agree that the Baby Eagle feels GREAT in my hand. The sights line up without any adjustment. I do not have a 9mm and this is the one that I thought I would get. The all steel body does weight too much.

I have a Springfield XD40 sub-compact that feels good but have found that the paddle holster that came with the gun make it feel a little top heavy to carry concealed. Truly, I have not shot that gun but have shot the 9 and 40 compact that a friend has. This would be my 2nd choice and 3rd would be the S&W MP9 which I have not shot.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Jager78

I guess to clarify are we talking about the Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle or the IWI/Magnum Research Baby Eagle II/Jericho 941?

If the OP meant the Micro Desert Eagle (Which in the past was dubbed the Baby Eagle) then I would say get the XD. If you are talking about the Baby Eagle II/Jericho 941 then I recommend that instead.

That is the only thing I don't like about the Baby Eagle. To many freaking names for it. My Baby Eagle II has "Desert Eagle Pistol" etched into the frame. ???
I actually drove 60 miles to Cabelas to purchase a "Baby Eagle" only to find out that it was actually the Micro Desert Eagle which was an older model that had "Baby Desert Eagle" etched on the slide of it.

Confusing!

Ok I just re-read the OP's first post and he is talking about the Baby Eagle II.

pgdion is talking about the Micro Desert Eagle as he mentioned the frame being made in Germany. Basically that pistol is a Walther PP9 clone.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Mauser8mm

XD or Eagle

I can't speak for the Baby Eagle, but I have shot the XD 9mm and it is smooth, accurate, and so much fun. A steel frame would make the gun heavy, but durable. I say hold each one again and decide what feels better in your hand.

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 11, 2013, 09:31 PM   #14

I have an XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP. I'm not a big fan of the XD sub-compacts because the barrels are too short to provide what I want in ballistics. On the other hand, my shooting partner recently bought an XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm. You can carry it with the short mag. and carry the full size 19 round mag. and appropriate extension for back-up, or to make it feel more like shooting a full size 9mm service pistol at the range. If you're not going to carry it, I'd recommend an XDm over the XD because the barrel and sight radius are .5" longer and the XDm's barrel is Match Grade and with the interchangeable backstraps, you can use the one that makes the pistol feel best in YOUR hand. But that is also true for the 3.8 Compact if you want to carry it. For anything thinner, you might want to look at the Ruger SR9 or SR9c. If you want something thinner and smaller, look at a S&W Shield or wait for the XDs in 9mm that will be released to the market very soon.