The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 12:25 PM   #51
Venom1956

Quote:
Kimber is a nice pistol, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at one. That said, I can't imagine holding $1200-1500 cash and choosing any Kimber over a Dan Wesson, Springfield, or upper-end Colt.

The Dan Wesson Valor, in particular, can't be bested by any Kimber I know of, and can be had for $1400-1500. In fact, the Valor is my favorite 1911 pistol until you hit the semi-custom makers like Ed Brown and Wilson Combat. They're just that nice.
SHHHHHHH! seriously don't tell everyone that! what am i gonna do when kimbers stop showing up at the range and everyone has a DW Valor?! Mine won't be better or as special!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 21, 2013, 12:43 PM   #52
johnwilliamson062

My only experience with them is passing on one that was available for a trade.

The first I heard of them was in relation to a high dollar compact "custom" 1911 they were promoting before release. It was a disaster of a gun by almost all accounts. For a while they were pushing the envelope, and when you do that you end up with some mistakes. I think their reputation took a pounding much like Diamondback was done when their first pistol had problems.

They seem to want to slap words like "custom," "operator", "tactical", "ultra", and "super" on all their models. "Custom" is a joke and a lie. The rest are cheesy marketing IMO.

They don't seem to function any better than cheaper brands, but they do look better.

I think the only reason to buy one is to look like you have money to spend on one. If you buy a Rolex people who know a lot about watches aren't impressed.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:49 PM   #53
coop2564

Absolutly worth it!
Old March 21, 2013, 02:48 PM   #54
mach1.3

I have several 1911s, four of the nine are Kimbers. I have an Ultra CDPII, a Pro CDPII, a TLEII and a Stainless CustomII. They all function properly when kept clean. I am not looking to sell any of them. These are guns from at least four years ago and some older(so no new models). I sent my Ultra back to Yonkers and had it rebarrelled some years ago because I felt the accuracy was less than satisfactory. Once returned I found the accuracy better and had no complaints about their customer service at all. You can spend more on a 1911 and I have with Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Colt and NightHawk, but I have no regrets about my Kimbers. I know the MIM controversy but have never had a part break on me.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:54 PM   #55
-Xero-

Les Baer won't work on Kimbers. What's that tell you?

Quote:
you bought a crappy Springfield or Colt
Les Baer works on both Springfield and Colt. What's that tell you?
Old March 21, 2013, 03:53 PM   #56
pete2

I have 2 Colt's , a Springfield and a Kimber. The Kimber is the only one that didn't work when I bought it. I would buy another Colt if I had it to do over.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:47 AM   #57
Venom1956

Quote:
That les bear a good quality name in 1911s and custom 1911s finds that production colt and springfield's worth investing the time and money on to become full blown custom pistols. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out...

Kimbers apparently not so much.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 22, 2013, 01:37 PM   #58
jmstr

I bought a used Kimber Compact II [all steel] a few years ago. It has run flawlessly. I have no idea how many rounds were shot before I got it. I've put between 500 to 700 rounds through it [it competes with 5 other .45acp handguns for range time, plus the other calibers].

It hasn't given me ANY problems. Ever.

I have never had cause to find out what Kimbers' CS is like. I know I have had cause to find out from RIA, Sig, S&W and Ruger. I've never had any problems with those 4.

I bought used: so no warrenty. I understand that.

I am mechanically inclined and have built 2 1911s [so far] that work VERY well. I say this as I'd probably do any repairs myself, rather than pay the $ to ship cross country.

I think the Kimber name is overhyped. I think the Kimber hate may be well directed, but I have never had cause to dislike them.

I'm more concerned about a 1911 with a barrel of 3.5" or shorter being reliable, no matter who made it.

Personally, I'd never buy a 1911 with a barrel shorter than 4". A lot of threads are out there about reliability of short-barrel 1911s. I trust the 5" without question, and the 4.25 or 4" once I've tested that gun.

But, Kimber brand name? it depends on if you want someone to fix the gun for you or you will fix it for yourself IF anything goes wrong and needs to be repaired.

The warrenty on my Argentinian DGFM Sistema Modelo 1927 is HORRIBLE. They won't do ANYTHING about the trigger pull and creep. I had to do it myself.
Old March 22, 2013, 01:52 PM   #59
-Xero-

Quote:
I bought used: so no warrenty. I understand that.
Springfield will warrant your firearm if it has their name on it. They don't care if you found it in a ditch.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:25 PM   #60
Rick F

For what it's worth . . .

I have a Kimber Eclipse Target II that has around 1,000 rounds, and has not had 1 failure. I heard a lot of awful things about Kimber on the interwebz, but mine seems to be assembled like a Swiss watch. Meanwhile Springfield seems to be the sacred cow of 1911's. On this reputation, I recently purchased a Springfield MC Operator (which was even more $$ than the Kimber), sent it back twice, and ended up getting a refund. SA said, at this time, they did not have time to QC check another pistol to send out to me, nor did they even have one available for that matter.
Sig P220 Elite Stainless .45 /// H&K P30L 9mm /// Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 /// S&W 686+ 5" Pro /// Walther PPS 9mm /// SA MC Operator .45 /// LMT MRP w/ACOG TA11HG /// Ruger Scout w/Nikon /// Benelli Nova Tactical 12g /// EVO X & S2000
Old March 22, 2013, 07:56 PM   #61
virg

Is a Kimber worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F View Post
Springfield seems to be the sacred cow of 1911's. On this reputation, I recently purchased a Springfield MC Operator (which was even more $$ than the Kimber), sent it back twice, and ended up getting a refund. SA said, at this time, they did not have time to QC check another pistol to send out to me, nor did they even have one available for that matter.
Now that's customer service at its best! If I had a company tell me that about one of their guns that I had just spent a small hard earned fortune on I would never spend another dime on that companies products. I personally have looked at several SA 1911's at my LGS that had rough machining marks here and there that would have caused me to pass on the gun. One was a TRP that had a large machine mark running vertically from top to bottom of the slide right beside of the firing pin hole. To me this is completely unacceptable on a $1,200+ gun.

Last edited by virg; March 22, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:42 PM   #62
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by virg
Now that's customer service at its best! If I had a company tell me that about one of their guns that I had just spent a small hard earned fortune on I would never spend another dime on that companies products. I personally have looked at several SA 1911's at my LGS that had rough machining marks here and there that would have caused me to pass on the gun. One was a TRP that had a large machine mark running vertically from top to bottom of the slide right beside of the firing pin hole. To me this is completely unacceptable on a $1,200+ gun.
You have pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Xero-
Les Baer won't work on Kimbers. What's that tell you?
Tells me that Les Baer won't work on Kimbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Xero-
Tells me you don't have the latest information. Les only works on his guns. He used to run Springfield's Custom Shop.

Neither of your assertions necessarily support the negative connotation of Kimber in itself.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 22, 2013, 09:42 PM   #63
virg

Is a Kimber worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle View Post
You have pics?
No I sure don't. I wish I had taken pics for all the "non-believers". But I don't normally go around in my LGS snapping pics of defective guns. I will start doing so though so that I can prove what I have seen.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:46 PM   #64
RickE

Ruger SR 1911, great gun, great price. Good luck finding one however.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:07 PM   #65
HKFan9

Quote:
There are a few kinds of threads that, if left open long enough, are almost guaranteed to devolve into some kind of spitting contest that involves Nazi references. Those threads include:
1) threads about Kimber;
2) threads about Taurus;
3) Glock vs. 1911 threads; and
4) 9mm vs. .45 acp threads.

With all of that said, I have zero personal experience with Kimbers. They're good-looking guns. They feel nice in the hand, but I've never fired one. I've read reviews that say they're the best thing since sliced bread, and others that swear that Kimber is owned by Satan himself.
HAHAHA So True.

I will give Kimber their credit, but not too much. Do they make a good 1911? Yes... are all Kimbers equal.. no....Do they make a GREAT 1911.... not really.... do they make a bad one... nope not that either.

Kimber / Springfield to me are about right in the middle. I have owned both... I have owned cheaper 1911 makes, and I have owned much more expensive 1911 makes.

1911 is much like car shopping these days since it seems EVERYONE is in the game now. We all want to be driving the 600HP Muscle car obviously, the real question is.... is it practical... or better yet... do I have the skill set to drive such a car well enough to appreciate it.

Most weekend warriors, can't shoot a $400 RIA 1911 any better than they can shoot a $1000 Kimber... anyyyy better than they can shoot that $3000 Wilson Combat 1911.

YOU need to do research into what FEATURES you WANT or what is PRACTICAL for YOU. Generally speaking certain options like a rail or front strap checkering will cost extra money.. but if you want a light on it for a bed side gun, or what extra grip for competition, its justifiable and so on.

When you get into Top Teir 1911's its more about getting one custom made for you, per your spec sheet, quality of materials and processes going into it, and finishes.

Doesn't make my Springfield any less of a gun however. It still has its place in my range bag with my STI and the others.

My buddy's used Kimber Desert Warriors is actually one of my favorite 1911's to shoot, I can't even tell you why, I just shoot well with it.
Old March 23, 2013, 02:21 AM   #66
Rinspeed

As I've said before I love all the Kimber hate, it keeps the prices down a bit on the Classic Customs.

Old March 23, 2013, 11:42 AM   #67
orionengnr

The variety of opinions is amazing. From the response, it appears that a number of the "bashers" have never owned or fired one, and are parroting something they read or heard somewhere. Like this one:
Quote:
they look good, but they're one of the worst 1911's you can buy.
I have actually owned about 25 1911s, and I will only comment on what I have owned (and what I currently own).
Quote:
For the price of a Kimber, you can buy a Colt, which is a far better gun.
My experience with three Colts does not bear this out, and I will leave it at that.
I do still own three Kimbers...actually, one is the wife's. She sold a Springfield to buy it, and couldn't be happier.
I also currently own DW and S&W 1911s.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:01 PM   #68
poetwarrior

FWIW, I have a Kimber Ultra carry CDP, It's my daily carry. Accurate, dependable and top of the line. Had it for years, reloads or factory the Kimber don't care. Expensive but worth it, I highly reccomend.
Old April 2, 2013, 12:18 AM   #69
Daytona TTA

Ok,,, I'll jump in here on this one. I have had two Kimbers both of them TLE RLs one bought one traded for and had problems with both of them. Personal experience with CS was awful. Both guns shared feed and eject probs and as far as accuracy,,,,,well lets just say not impressed. For the money that is paid, I feel a company should stand by you more than 1yr. Both of these guns suffered the rusty barrel syndrome and I am not the only one in my group that has had to put up with these examples. Needles to say it took almost a year and several trips back and forth to get these guns running good enough for me to sell them off.

I have had two Para Ord,,14-45 and 16-40 LDAs. Fantastic shooting 1911s but sold them mainly because I was offered a price that could not be refused.

I currently have a Colt Commander and the Springfield MC Operator. Love these two guns. Have about 10000 rds in each and they have never had a problem. Best part is they are warrantied for life no questions asked.

My next purchase will be a high end 1911. Looking at Nightwawk and Wilson Combat and the decision is difficult as to which one.

For those out there in Kimberland,,,I wish you luck. For those who have never had problems, you are truly the lucky ones but I am not willing to gamble the incredible amount of hit and miss problems associated with them.

For those looking at a Kimber,,,,,,,,skip over them and go to a Dan Wesson. Price is in similar ball park and they will stand behind you forever or check out STI. The Kimbers are too commercialized, they care more about dazzle than operation. Just my opinion to others justified by personal experience
Old April 2, 2013, 03:28 AM   #70
Stealth01

Next time you're handling one of those $1,200 Kimbers, take a REAL CLOSE LOOK at the PLASTIC mainspring housing... And people complain about MIM parts!
Old April 9, 2013, 11:02 AM   #71
virg

Is a Kimber worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Next time you're handling one of those $1,200 Kimbers, take a REAL CLOSE LOOK at the PLASTIC mainspring housing... And people complain about MIM parts!
And the need for it to be metal is?? Glock frames are made of "plastic" and they hold up better than steel frames.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:55 AM   #72
coldbeer

If I could afford a nice Kimber pistol I might feel differently about them, but for the price they really should come with a lifetime warranty.
Old April 9, 2013, 06:02 PM   #73
BuckRub

To much money for all the problems most people have. If you're buying it for a show piece they're pretty but if you want to use it and it run perfect, you better get a glock.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:59 PM   #74
HKFan9

Quote:
Funny... STI doesn't hesitate to use plastic MSH's on some guns that run $2000+

I have never had a problem with any of my personally owned 1911s and I've owned from a $200 RIA up to custom built guns.

Only one I personally ever had issues with is a girl I was dating bought a SA Loaded stainless and it seems that the slide release was not properly fitted and would start to rid out and catch the slide. I work for a gun smith shop so I sent it out for her to SA, and they took care of the issue.

I have seen ALL of them with issues, weather its a cheap Armscorp all the way to a Les Baer, things can and do happen. Not trying to poke fun at anyways guns, however I can honestly say I see more Colts with issues on a monthly basis than I do Kimbers. Not trying to deem which one is better, could be there are just more Colts out there, however I personally don't favor them.

Everyone rags on MIM parts these days but really almost ALL production guns use them, including Colt. I don't like Colt 1911's even though I love the 1911 platform. I am sure people will read this and cringe, but I really do find them sub par. The materials they use are better than most, and they are the original sure, but generally speaking they are fitted fairly loose or poorly at least in the examples I have owned, and they do not offer a lot of options in their line. I am excited to get my hands on one of the new Colt rail guns, and see how it compares to my Kimber Desert Warrior however.

With any brand come bashers as well as people that think there could never be something wrong with them. People love to bash Kimber but really they held the Marines MEU pistol contract for years, and LAPD SWAT still uses Kimbers, which shoot and train a lot more often than your standard beat cop that packs a Glock.

Between the two however since they are common price points, I would prefer Springfield over Kimber. I have a Lightweight Champion Operator, and a TRP both of which have been great guns, and Springfield is always pleasant to deal with if I ever did run into an issue.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:08 PM   #75
Rinspeed

Quote:

How dare they try to save money on a $25 part. They could be like the competition and give you a crappy two piece barrel.