The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Big Pard

Rifled slugs in a rifled barrel?

Let me start off by saying that I know that it is not recommended to shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel but one day I was sighting in a friends 870 slug gun (rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount) and after I got her dialed in he wanted me to "try" a couple Winchester rifled slugs. They shot more accurate at 100yds than anything else we shot. They put 2 touching at 100 yds... My question is: Will shooting rifled slugs in a rifled barrel do any damage to the gun? I really don't care about lead deposits because I shoot so infrequently and don't mind periodic cleaning if it means good accuracy at less than half the price...

Thanks
Buddy
Old October 27, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2
shortwave

No, there will be zero damage done to the bbl. rifling's. As you stated, just make sure to clean the leading out good.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
idek

I'll second that rifled slugs shouldn't hurt the barrel. Also, Brenneke comes right out and says that their rifled slugs will likely be more accurate in rifled barrels than smooth barrels, so I wouldn't even say it's "not recommended to shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel."
Old October 27, 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
asm3686

I shoot rifled slugs in both my shotguns one is smooth bore with rifled choke and other is fully rifled barrel. I shoot brenneke green lightening most accurately out of both thankfully they like the same round

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2