The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2013, 09:39 AM   #76
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
So you are really counting on that first shot to deliver a one shot stop?
That's my understanding too.

If you can't shoot quick and precisely enough to hit more than once, you need a gun you can handle.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:46 AM   #77
Dashunde

No. I'm just saying that a hit from a 45 might be more effective at slowing his attackers forward progress, perhaps buying him time for a second shot that 9mm may not provide.
Its a roll of the dice really, but he might as well take that advantage since he cant run or defend.

He asked for punch, he seems to have selected his side of the coin: harder hit or faster shooting... his call there.
He's also already said he's strong and can handle his selection, its up to him to practice with it.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:58 AM   #78
breakingcontact

Dashunde, well said.

In the spirit of honoring the OP's original question and not pursuing the caliber war...

Quote:
I am a wheelchair user interested in concealed carry. As I am always seated I cannot conceal a large gun - but I want a single stack compact with punch. If confronted I will likely not be running for cover, as I am too slow and don't like the idea of turning my back on a threat. I have narrowed down my choices to the S&W Shield or Springfield XDS. The Springfield is available in .45, with .40 becoming available soon. The Shield is available in 9 & .40. I am trying to decide between .40 & .45 and leaning toward the Springfield XDS. Concerned that the XDS in .45 only holds 5 rounds (plus 1, probably 6 plus 1 in .40). Constructive opinions or criticism regarding model or caliber very much appreciated.
Let's take the caliber out of it. Shield vs XDS. Shield holds more rounds and that is a concern as well.

I vote Shield in 40 (since I have to).
Old May 9, 2013, 10:29 AM   #79
eldermike

If one shot stopping power is the issue you should consider dropping the auto loader idea and get something that will get the job done.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:34 AM   #80
Zebulon

Then we can debate the loss of effective power when shorter barrels lengths are suggested....it never ends. Zebulon
Old May 9, 2013, 12:30 PM   #81
Water-Man

The OP has other choices for a concealable .45acp including the Springfield XDM 3.8" or a compact Glock.

They aren't quite as small as the XDS but small enough and will give him more firepower with the added capacity.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:35 PM   #82
Vermonter

Carry with a wheelchair

This boils down to two things for me.

1. No one suspects the guy in the wheelchair to be carrying a concealed weapon. This can be a good thing.

2. Sadly because of that you become a "helpless" target.

I feel the same way about that wheelchair rig as I feel about all other forms of open carry. I think it is a bad idea. I don't want to get into a debate about the right of OC but in the end this is not the ok corral.

In the real world OC lends itself to the gun grab or at the very least if something does go down you become the first target.

I would suggest a Glock 23 or 32 which are a good comprimise of pucnh and capacity. Also they lend themselves well to shoulder carry.

If you were willing to go down to a 9mm the G26 is super easy to hide and I am a fan in general.

Regards, Vermonter
Old May 9, 2013, 03:34 PM   #83
Dashunde

Quote:
...lend themselves well to shoulder carry.
That reminded me to mention that Kangaroo Carry chest band thing.
I've got one and its a comfortable way to haul around a G27, it might be even better while sitting all day vs worn on the hip. Its only about $35 too.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:39 PM   #84
KBP75

Concealed carry with punch

Hi gamorris! Take a look at the Sig P239 in 40 S&W. I just bought one and its reliable and for a few bucks more you can by a Sig 357 barrel and have a two caliber gun! Nothing wrong with having a pistol that can adapt to different requirements!
Old May 10, 2013, 09:18 PM   #85
gamorris

Friends,
I am grateful for all of the suggestions, and especially for the research and effort many of you have contributed. My 1st choice (which I did not mention earlier) is a Sig Ultra Compact .45. As I have been unable to locate one in the area - east of Atlanta - I am still leaning toward the Springfield XDs in .45. It just feels best in my hand. If anyone has an available ultra compact Sig in the area please let me know.
Many, many thanks.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:38 PM   #86
Garycw

Concealed Carry with Punch

The Sig ultra carry is a really nice 1911. The last one I saw recently felt great in the hand and had the G10 black diamond grips. It was also $1100
Old May 11, 2013, 09:06 PM   #87
JN01

Unless you have a vehicle with a lift that you can roll up into it, a holster attached to your chair (like the rig in the link you provided) isn't a good idea.

If you get out of the chair to get in the vehicle, you are separated from the gun. Also, when the chair is placed in the vehicle, the gun could get banged around, dislodged, and/or an AD could occur.

You could remove the gun from the chair when you transfer, but that might cause undue attention.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:59 PM   #88
gamorris

i would normally carry on my body, using the wheelchair mounted holster when out shooting for convenience.