The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 07:34 AM   #26
Gdawgs

I have an LCP and have shot a S&W a couple of times I like the Smith better. It has better sights and a better trigger. The laser doesn't do anything for me. The problem I have with the LCP is that the magazine comes out sometimes when I fire it. I believe it just has something to do with the way I hold it, then one of my fingers or thumb is somehow pressing the mag release when it recoils. I just haven't been able to figure out how to hold this without it happening. Doesn't do it all the time just occasionally.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #27
SteveBonning

I did all my research about a year ago looking for a .380. Time and time again the research took me back to the BG380. The weapon had problems in the early serial numbers, but that issue was resolved. I went with the Bodyguard due to the real sights, reliability, laser (bonus for me as I don't use it often), accuracy and durability. I've put over 1000 rounds through it and it eats everything I've put through it. No malfunctions whatsoever. It is a favorite of mine to conceal carry.

For the price/quality/durability/ease of use and disassembly, I'm glad I went with the Bodyguard.
Old September 5, 2012, 03:36 PM   #28
Dr_Rich

I've had a Taurus 738 in my pocket for the last 3 days. No safety or laser, but it seems to be ok. The ONLY thing I can say I don't like is the mag keeps popping out on me. But its also in my left front pocket. I'm sure if it were in my right pocket, this wouldn't be a problem. My guess is I keep bumping it.

My buddy carries the Kel-Tek and he loves it. He just needed to get a new extractor spring screw replaced and it was golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBonning
I did all my research about a year ago looking for a .380. Time and time again the research took me back to the BG380. The weapon had problems in the early serial numbers, but that issue was resolved. I went with the Bodyguard due to the real sights, reliability, laser (bonus for me as I don't use it often), accuracy and durability. I've put over 1000 rounds through it and it eats everything I've put through it. No malfunctions whatsoever. It is a favorite of mine to conceal carry.

For the price/quality/durability/ease of use and disassembly, I'm glad I went with the Bodyguard.
I like what this man has to say. I think I see one of these coming to me in the near feature.
Old September 5, 2012, 03:44 PM   #29
Edgehill

I have the Bodyguard. The location of the activation switch will make it an after thought if you needed to quickly deploy the gun. It's great for practice, but I don't think I would use the laser if I was in a defensive gun situation.

The trigger is pretty long and hard, but with practice, it won't be a problem.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:04 PM   #30
Special Projects

If you do some research, you may find that the consensus is that the BG issues have been worked out at this point. Mine has certainly been 100% reliable and is a shooter. I typically sport a .45, sometimes 9mm, but when the situation calls for something svelte, it's the BG!
Old September 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #31
10Ringmagic

Quote:
Yung.gunr

I'm gonna throw a wrench in the works and strongly recommend the Taurus TCP. I love mine and it has things that a lot of the other ones don't. It has the slide stop with last round hold open and a much better trigger then all the ones I dry fired. Plus, no safety to mess stuff up and the internal lock that some people like.

That's my $0.02....

If I would have to choose between the ones you said though, it would be the LCP. Is the Bersa even in the same size class? I didn't like the BG at all when I held it. Like others have said the LCP is a more refined Kel Tec so the KT is out.

I would still go with my TCP though. The only ammo it doesnt like is the CHEAP Tulammo. The only thing I would trade it for would be the Sig P238, but that is over two times as much as the TCP.
I agree!

My Taurus TCP 738, has been a great little pocket gun, I use it for main carry on some days, and as a back up gun on other days. It is just so easy to carry it every day.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:15 PM   #32
Dashunde

Quote:
A laser, and unnecessary safety are two steps away from simple!
I agree. I'm not at all a fan of switches and levers on a ccw.

But the laser in the grip may have a deterent effect - they'll know you stand a good chance of getting a good hit.
I've been on the fence about getting a CT for my LCP... darn thing doesnt have any sights to speak of anyway.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:24 AM   #33
Nakanokalronin

I've owned the P3AT twice, the BG380 once and shot an LCP quite a bit. The BG380 is the best of the bunch all around.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:35 AM   #34
Vermonter

LCP

Basically the LCP and the Keltec are the same gun. Therefore if your friend finds one or the other for a better price I would go that direction. Typically the kel tec is thought of as being a little less refined. The ones I have handled have looked worse but shot the same for whatever that is worth.

I pocket carry an LCP any day I absolutly can't get away with a bigger gun on my body. It is easy to pocket carry in your strong hand and slip an extra mag into the other pocket on your weak hand. The sights are aweful but even with that said it is normal for me to empty it into the A zone as fast as I can shoot at seven yards.

Mine has literally never failed with Hornaday Critical Defense and well thats what I carry in it.

Desantis Super Fly Holster, LCP, Extra Mag, and Hornaday Critical defense is the setup. This often accompanies me on short walks to the store or those quick I'll be right back kinda trips. I am surrently considering a laser for it and my only regret is that I didn't buy it with one as they are a better deal as a package.

Regards, Vermonter
Old September 6, 2012, 11:04 AM   #35
dayman

I carry my BG with the safety off (except for glovebox carry), and don't really use the laser. If they'd had a slightly cheaper version without the laser I would have gotten that, but they don't.
The price difference between the LCP and BG is negligible when you factor in the cost of .380 over a couple years, and I just found the BG more comfortable.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:06 PM   #36
orionengnr

I have had two Kel-Tec P3ATs (one first gen and one second gen) as well as a P32 and a P11 and could never get any of them to work reliably enough to carry. Fluff & Buff, new mags, lots of ammo...no go. Sold each with full disclosure, and lost my shirt. Actually, I gave one away. Never again.

I have owned two LCPs. First was an early (370-series) and I had already put 150+ trouble free rounds through it. I fell within the recall range. so when I sent it in for the recall, I bought a 371 series, which also worked perfectly from round one (I put about 150 rounds through it the first day).

When the 370 came back about a week later with a new spare mag and a hat, I sold the 371 to a friend, who still owns and carries it.

I have handled the BG, but after doing some reading about the laser button failing/disassembling itself/sticking, etc...thanks but no thanks.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:10 PM   #37
TheGoldenState

Kahr p380

Of the three, the Bodyguard.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:20 PM   #38
Hansam

I've owned several Bersa 380s, a Ruger LCP, a Kel-Tec 380 and have shot the SW Bodyguard.

That said I chose NOT to buy the Bodyguard. I didn't like the laser and frankly in a mouse gun like that who needs sights? The one I shot also had a gritty and creepy trigger.

Of the three guns I've owned I liked the Bersa the most. It was heavier than the other guns (being all metal construction) but that gun shot everything I fed it and then wanted more. Recoil was easy to handle due to the extra mass and the trigger is the best of all of the pocket guns mentioned. I never had a problem drawing the gun from concealment. Never caught the hammer or safety while drawing.

I liked the LCP more than the Kel Tec. It just felt better in my hands and I actually liked the trigger more.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:23 PM   #39
Groundhog34

If price is not a concern get a Rohrbaugh 9mm. Better round 9 vs 380 but most important it is unquestionably the most reliable finest quality pocket pistol on the planet.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:26 PM   #40
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If price is not a concern get a Rohrbaugh 9mm. Better round 9 vs 380 but most important it is unquestionably the most reliable finest quality pocket pistol on the planet.
Not sure the OP meant a $1400 price though.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 6, 2012, 11:17 PM   #41
Garycw

TCP738

I've heard a few bad things about them, but like mine alot especially for summer carry. Never had a problem except when I tried TulAmmo. DON'T use it in SNY small frame auto. I have the crimson trace on it which doesn't get in the way and can be helpful in some instances. The gun feels nice in my hand & body is very smooth with nothing to get hung up on when drawing. I really liked the S&W Bodyguard. I liked the look, feel, finction & Quality. The only reason i didnt choose it is there was too many protrusions to get hung up on when drawing I'm not that familiar with the bersa. The ruger has a lot of good feedback, but just didn't felt right in my hand for some reason. The KelTec felt like a toy that I wouldn't want to net my life on. Everything about it looked & felt cheap. Just my opinion The Taurus TCP is what I carrying w/ IWB holster & Hornaday critical defense alternated with a cpl FMJ. I've CC everything from derringers to full size 1911's depending on occasion & time of year.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:39 AM   #42
amd6547

I went to the LGS to buy an LCP, when I found this Kel Tec P3AT.
The former owner had messed with the hammer spring, and it was unable to fire a chambered round.
I got it for less than half the price of the LCP.
Kel Tec was happy to send me a new hammer and spring assembly.
While I waited for it, I dremmel polished the feed ramp, chamber, and front bushing area of the barrel.
Put the new spring in, and went to the range.
The little P3AT works great. Feeds flat nosed FMJ and JHP fine...I shot both Gold Dot and Hydroshock with no problems. I don't find recoil to be an issue at all. In fact, recoils is less than a Browning 1910 380 I owned.
Pocket carries like a dream. Accuracy at short SD range is minute of nose.
I'm glad I got the Kel Tec instead of the Little Copy Pistol.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:55 AM   #43
dsa1115

The LCP Sights Can Be Improved

Here is my LCP with a dovetailed Trijicon nightsight.

By dsa1115 at 2011-05-22
Old September 7, 2012, 08:25 AM   #44
Stressfire

I would say to rethink the Bersa CC, has features that you would not usually find on a pocket-sized gun.

Admittedly, it is a mite large for carry in a back pocket, which is why I either opt for waistband carry or a cargo pocket for mine.

If it's been spotted, I have yet to hear about it.

Good little shooter as well, nary a hiccup from mine since I took it out of the box and is 500 rounds old. Sub-$300 price point is quite nice as well
Old September 7, 2012, 08:37 AM   #45
dos0711

I went with a Ruger LCP with LaserMax(waste of money on a point and shoot 7 yard gun) but changed to a 13lb spring, Hogue grip and Pearce extension.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:02 PM   #46
stimpee

I just posted this reply in another similar thread:

We just got a BG380 for my wife. She was originally planning a larger gun for pocketbook carry, but she decided (thankfully) that on-body carry would be a better method. The compromise was she wanted something super small so that she could carry in any clothes in any circumstances.

A reasonable trade in my opinion. Rather a small gun/small caliber on body all the time than a full size pistol in the glove box.

We just put 100 rds thru the BG this past weekend. We both were very pleasantly surprised with it. The trigger pull is LONG and pretty heavy at the end, but it is very smooth and very predictable. The sights are ok (better than none), and we were both fine with "combat" type accuracy punching paper from 3-7 yds.

I even tried shooting a magazine at 7yds with the laser. I was flabbergasted. I put 7 rounds basically in the 10 ring on an 8" target with all holes touching but one. I had one flyer about an inch or so high right, and it was totally me. Knew I missed before the round left the barrel.

Showed me how bad my eyesight is getting, as I can't really focus on the front sight accurately anymore. For those that said the laser is useless due to the trigger pull, I did not find that to be the case. For 6 out of 7 rounds, I was able to keep the laser dead-on the bullseye the whole way thru the trigger pull...

I am probably going to buy myself a duplicate BG when funds allow to use as a pocket gun when I can't IWB my PPS, and/or as a BUG.

I recommend it highly. If you can't conceal it, then you either have made some seriously poor clothing and holster choices, or you are simply worrying too much!

I bought it at sportsman's outdoor superstore on a slickguns deal for $334 shipped to my FFL. Can't beat it.

BTW I shot the LCP back to back with the BG prior to the purchase decision. The LCP literally felt like it was going to jump out of my hand. While the BG is a bit heavier and larger, it is IMHO a different world to shoot from the LCP.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:10 PM   #47
stalkingbear

I have the LCP and the trigger does smooth up after several hundred cycles/dry firing. You can forget about the safety on the Bodyguard as it's so small and hard to work you'd NEVER be able to get it off in a high stress situation. I don't have any experience with the P3AT.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:16 AM   #48
Fishmonger

LCP

Yesterday I was at my local gun store, intent on buying an LCP. I've been doing loads of research on it, and a week ago I shot one at the range. The owner tried to convince me to buy a SW Bodyguard (on sale since he just got 30 of them), of which I've heard both good and bad things. For only $30 more, here are the extras that the Bodyguard had:
  • manual safety
  • slide lock
  • usable sights
  • laser
I was pretty impressed at first, until I realized that using the safety required my complete attention. It was HARD. The only way I'll use a safety is if I can switch it off while pulling it out of my pocket, so it takes up no extra time. Of course, I also realize that the gun was fresh out of the box; maybe it will ease up. I loved the slide lock, the sights, and the choice for laser, but the safety was next to useless. I was kind of excited, but then I took the Bodyguard to the range, and after 3 shots I was done! I finished off 10 for good measure, but I hated every second of it. Since I actually had fun shooting the LCP (if this makes sense - the kick is similar, but it's not as snappy as the SW) it was easy to make up my mind.

Also the LCP and the Bodyguard both have long trigger pulls, but the Bodyguard felt more jerky, whereas the LCP was smooth. The LCP is just a tiny bit smaller and a tiny bit lighter.

The LCP is in my pocket.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:36 AM   #49
RsqVet

Of the 3 choices provided I would say LCP, it's a very decent polymer / pocket 380.

Of all the 380's one could pocket carry, I would say the Seecamp, based on size, for a 6+1 gun it is tiny. It's also expensive and though reliable has specific ammo that needs to be used as the gun is tuned to that ammo. Having only a 2.5 ounce slide and all the other size issues with the gun means there are some trade offs and ammo limitations is one of them. In fact as most will find out all truly tiny for caliber guns get ammo selective, it's the nature of the beast. Tiny 380's are this way, as are the very small 9mm's. Some makers will specify this (Seecamp, Kimber with the solo) others will not but many owners will find some rounds just don't work in a given gun.

Personally guns the size of the Sig 232, 238, PPK or Bersa don't qualify as pocket guns.

I have no use for a safety on a DAO "belly gun" the whole idea here with pocket carry is a small, quickly deployed, last ditch self defense weapon, the thought of having to thumb off a safety and draw from a pocket does not make me happy.

Likewise sights are frankly unneeded, the Seecamp has none, yet there is no problem scoring COM hits with it at 7 yards. It is very, very hard to me to consider a pocket 380 anything more than an up close defense weapon where sights are not needed. If one is thinking they need sights on a pocket gun because of x y or z they read about online COULD happen then either one needs to carry a larger, duty sized weapon or re-evaluate their expectations of a pocket gun.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:28 PM   #50
Biner

Another vote for the Taurus TCP. I had the Bodyguard380 until it was stolen out of me car, but having now owned the TCP for a while, I much prefer it over the BG380. The main issues I had with the Bodyguard were the extremely hard and rough trigger pull, and the fact that I had to be very careful with how I gripped it or else my thumb would hit the mag release as drop it after the first shot or two. The TCP has a much smoother trigger, the mag stays in place when I want it to, and I'm shooting much better groups with it. (3" to 4" at 10 yards.) Also, no feeding or firing failures after several hundred rounds.

I'm generally not a Taurus fan -- I own multiple S&W revolvers, an M&P 40C (my primary carry weapon), and Sig P226s in 9mm and .40 cal.), but for my "car gun" I didn't want to spend a lot of money, knowing it only takes is a few seconds to break the glass and dig through the console to steal it. So far, I'm very pleasantly surprised with the performance of the TCP.