The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1
ligonierbill

.38 Special Lead SWCHP

That's semi-wadcutter hollowpoint...any thoughts? I'm looking at my Speer manual, and although they tout their 135 grain JHP, they seem to give a nod to the good old 158 lead as accurate and deadly. They sure are cheap (relatively). Speer now lists +P loads for these bullets. They come in a box of 500, so I'd like some feedback before I hit "place order". Oh yeah, I have AA#5 and Power Pistol on hand.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
okiefarmer

Even cheaper when ya cast em' yourself. And yes, they are plenty accurate for the girls I go with. I have no problems at all.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:47 PM   #3
hornady

I would check your book again. + p with lead just don’t seem Right.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:52 PM   #4
hornady

Sorry I just checked my Lyman cast Book and they too show +p loads in 38
Old August 19, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Stumper

I have shot a few of those Speer swaged SWC HPs... they shoot good but tend to lead at +P levels where a harder cast SWC does not( this is gun and load specific-some guns shoot most anything without leading but others are picky.) My own preference is to develop a load for the swaged HPs and then save them for hunting or social work and mke a cast bullet my normal bullet for practice (and a cast WC or SWC is no slouch at making holes in critturs)

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4