The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Carryabigstick

NOOB question

Hello all I'm looking at reloading in the future but for now I'm trying to remove the old primers. The reason for this is recycling the old brass. Would anyone be so kind as to inform me on how to remove the old primers in an inexpensive fashion.

Thanks
Old April 14, 2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Sevens

When you get set up with the tools for reloading, you'll find that the sizing die pops the old primers out for you while it's re-sizing the brass case.

There is really no good reason to deprime your brass until you are set up to reload.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
CortJestir

Removing the old primers is part of the reloading process, usually when the case is resized -- might as well get a whole reloading kit now if you plan on reloading in the future.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Carryabigstick

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to say that I am going to sell the brass that I will not reload. I'm looking for a way to remove them without a lot of expense. I'm selling it for scrap.

Thanks
Old April 14, 2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Dan The Sig Man

OMG... Why are you selling it for SCRAP? That is a waste of perfectly reloadable Brass. What Calibers do you have? Maybe Some people on here might be interested in buying it...
Old April 14, 2009, 10:44 PM   #6
CortJestir

Agreed - you can probably sell them here for more than what you'd get for scrap, unless these are cases that were too damaged or deformed to be reloaded.

Anyway if you're gonna scrap 'em, put a bunch in a vise and pop the primers out with a punch or something similar. That should cost you nothing if you have the tools.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Carryabigstick

Well I don't know too many people looking at reloading 9mm, and other smaller rounds. I would sell them for reloads if I can. I can sell for about 70 cents a pond. I know it's not much but I don't have to worry about selling it as all I have to do is drop off. What is the best way to sell used brass for reload? Also I have mixed rounds of a small quantity so I'm more thinking ahead. If it makes money I will just remove the primers as I get them until I have enough.
Old April 14, 2009, 11:10 PM   #8
PCJim

Carry, there are ways to remove primers without having a press, but they would not be cost effective for the amount of time you would spend on each individual case.

Like others have said, please don't scrap good brass "just because". There are takers on this board and others who would gladly pay you. May I suggest that you just save up a quantity of brass so as to make the USPS flat rate mailing cost worthwhile to the buyer. Doing so would also save you the time and effort from removing those spent primers.
Old April 14, 2009, 11:18 PM   #9
Dan The Sig Man

Very good Advice... You should maybe take a small amount of time to sort through and record what you have. Than just post on Firing Line what you have and I am sure that People will start PMin you about what you have. I know that 9mm, 40 and 45 will do well. I might even be interested in some once you post what you have.
Old April 14, 2009, 11:41 PM   #10
dahermit

If the brass cases are being sold for scrap, there is no need to remove fired primers. The metal parts of the spent primer are brass. However, I am sure a scrap yard would not appreciate any cases with a live primer.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:41 PM   #11
Carryabigstick

Thanks a lot everyone. I don't have too much right now but that will change. I just started collecting the brass I shoot. I will do as you all recomend once I have stored up enough to make it worth while.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:47 PM   #12
RamSlammer

Collect up a bunch, sort by caliber (and count 'em) then post here in the Buy/Sell/Trade, Holsters, Gear, Accessories Section. Folks will likely beat down the door to your PM inbox with offers to buy.