The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 4, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
quinn2187

shoulder holsters?

my question would be how many carry shoulder holsters? and if anyone considers the safety factor when using one? i imagin this will cause some pro and con discusions.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
scgunrunner

I typically use a shoulder holster when I ride my motorcycle. It's more comfortable and more importantly, it keeps my pistol off my hip/pelvis/spine in a crash or slide. I also wear an armored jacket (as in motorcycle armor, not body armor) which is pretty ridged and the shoulder holster is a quicker draw from me.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Wagonman

When I work undercover on the subway I wear one----almost no chance of detection. I find it easy to protect the gun just clamp down with support arm. Plus I feel that I am channelling Sonny Crockett when I carry in this manner
Old January 4, 2009, 06:58 PM   #4
quinn2187

my concern would be in a physical confrontation its perfectly set up for a bad guy to grab.
Old January 5, 2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Shoulder holsters?

I use a Galco Miami Classic rig two or three times a week during cool-to-cold weather. It accommodates both the 1911-series and a Browning High Power as well. I have both single-stack and double-stack magazine pouches. The pistol is held with the barrel horizontal or pointed slightly up. The one-way thumb break retainer is extremely secure so I am not at all concerned about “safety.” The retention strap fits firmly between the rear of the slide and the cocked hammer and the well fitted holster body completely covers the trigger, even should the thumb safety be “off.”

One must be VERY carefully about placing the arm into the holster, making certain there is no person to one’s rear while doing so. I always wear a cover garment when carrying this rig. “A properly holstered pistol is safe,” and there is no Rule Two violation with this rig. Still, a great many people are uneasy seeing a pistol muzzle, even when the arm is not being handled.

The Galco company is sensitive to this situation and they have again started producing their VHS vertical-carry holster, with the barrel pointing toward the ground.

I do not worry about a “gun grab” from this holster. My cover garment is usually buttoned or zipped and I draw by reaching over the fastening. Being essentially invisible, the weapon is less likely to be snatched. I have practiced clamping down with my left arm, clamping the pistol in place but still able to apply some hand-to-face moves. There is a good chance that I’ll succeed in trapping the assailant’s hand at the same time. Defenses against weapons capture must be practiced. The carrying individual MUST consider a face-to-face gun snatch as attempted murder and be prepared to institute proper measures.

It should go without saying that neither live ammunition practice nor match shooting with a shoulder holster is performed on a public range.

Johnny
Old January 5, 2009, 12:59 AM   #6
armsmaster270

Mostly right hip but sometimes I use a Shoulder rig.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:37 AM   #7
WC145

I use a shoulder holster on duty. I work on the shore and it keeps my gun up out of the mud and mess, it makes it much easier to maneuver in and out of vehicles, and I'm not banging my gun on desks, door frames, people, etc, all the time. Plus it's a lot easier on my back not having that weight on my belt.

As far as the gun being accessible to others, I practice my draw regularly, as well as weapon retention techniques, I do everything I can to assure that my gun stays mine. In some ways it is easier to defend than a hip holster as it is only really accessible from the front, where all of my other weapons (hands, elbows, feet, knees, knives, BUG, OC, baton) can easily be brought to bear should someone attempt to disarm me.
Old January 5, 2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Jmacinnis1

Quote:
my concern would be in a physical confrontation its perfectly set up for a bad guy to grab.
I have a little something to add to this. I use the shoulder harness (Galco Miami Classic 2) because I'm in the sitting position for most of the day at work, and I find it comfortable when walking around. The bit I would like to add is how DIFFICULT it is for someone else to grab. Let me explain.

I found this out by mistake really. I was helping my brother move from his apartment and I was carrying a large cabinet from upstairs to downstairs. I lifted it and got it to the landing before starting down the steps. When I started, I thought about my pistol bouncing off the wall every step I took, so I called to my girlfriend to take it from me (my hands were full holding the cabinet, which wasn't heavy, but large and awkward). She reached in my shirt and tried to pull it from my holster (before anyone asks, she knew it was loaded, chambered and the safety was off - I told her before she reached for it). The strange thing was she couldn't pull it out. I told her to carefully pull harder, but she said it was stuck. I had her switch sides, and she still could not remove it. I thought it might be somehow stuck, so I backed up, put the cabinet down, and pulled it without any resistance.

After standing there scratching my head, I asked her what she was doing wrong. She only could say that standing beside me or in front of me caused it to bind, and she couldn't pull it out of the holster. When I reach in (cross-draw) it slips right out (like pulling it straight out of the holster because it sits angled under your arm for the draw). It made me wonder if someone could actually take it, so I emptied the pistol, put it back and told her to take it forcibly (without me fighting and without her breaking the straps from swinging on them). Two things happened, either the front sight would catch from her pulling at a strange angle, or the holster would “bind” or twist, causing a great deal of friction, making it almost impossible to pull it out. Now I’m not saying it can’t be pulled, any large individual yanking on the straps might break it loose, or they could reach under my right arm and kind of cross-draw to take it, but that seems difficult for someone to do let alone know that’s how to take it....

I thought i'd throw that out there...
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again…
Old January 5, 2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Jmacinnis1

Quote:
Still, a great many people are uneasy seeing a pistol muzzle, even when the arm is not being handled.
I second this. Only a few people know I carry, and two of the people that know I carry are a bit uneasy about the barrel being visible and pointing out the back if my over shirt is off. It's funny if you think about it, they're more comfortable when the over shirt is on over the barrel so they can’t see it, even though realistically the shirt would offer no resistance to the bullet should the worst case scenario ever play out. It’s a mind thing I guess. I’m not worried about it “going off” obliviously and the holster completely covers the trigger, but some people are uneasy about this set up. I have no problems with it…
Old January 5, 2009, 06:25 PM   #10
quinn2187

i know there are weapon retention and everybody thinks that they will be able to punch, elbo, scratch or bite a bad guy and he will stop, but that is just not the truth. some people can take a punch and take it well enough to keep on movin on. and the binding i could see as a good thing but i would not want to depend on the bad guy pulling from that angle. and i agree with the statement about if someone is trying to get your gun that it is a leathal force instance, but that only works if he goes for it and doesn't get it. if he does get it then you are on the wrong end of the lethal force. as for it being concealed, once you start rolling around fighting there is a good chance that the other guy will notice that there is a gun there. i guess my own opinion is that it isn't worth the risk to me to carry that way. and i know there is a high number of dead detectives that wish they never did, but that doesn't mean the bad guy wouldn't have gotten their gun from their hip either. just my silly little philosophy.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:21 PM   #11
NDN-MAN

quinn2187

You said " I know there is a high number of dead detectives that wish they never did"
What high number of detectives have been killed because of shoulder holsters. When and where were they killed??
I ask because I have been searching for this kind of info for five years.
I can't find any. Please give info not he said she said tales of woe.
Old January 6, 2009, 03:38 PM   #12
quinn2187

unfortunetly i would have to check with my training section from 9 years ago because they were the ones that gave us the statistics of officer murders. i trust their numbers but don't know where they got them off the top of my head, sorry.
Old January 6, 2009, 05:46 PM   #13
LHB1

The only shoulder holster I use is one I made for my scoped S&W M629 pistol. This is a vertical, belt style pouch holster mounted on a shoulder harness and used for hunting purposes. I do not care for shoulder holsters which carry pistols in horizontal style.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Icopy1

I carry my Sig 226 and my SW686 in vertical shoulder rigs during the cooler/colder months. It's just faster for me to draw from a shoulder holster when I am wearing a large coat.
Old January 7, 2009, 07:40 PM   #15
Japle

I used one for a while, but found it was hot (no air circulation under the straps), sweaty (see above), smelly (see above, plus the straps soak up sweat and smell like a horse on a hot day) and didn't conceal very well. The leather holster squeaked. It was too bulky.

Kydex paddles for me!!
Old January 7, 2009, 08:49 PM   #16
Sam06

I don't use a SH very much. When I do is with a J-Frame and I use this one:http://klnullholsters.com/

The only other SH I will use is for a scoped T/C contender and a Scoped 629. When I wear the Null I am on a Bike or out walking the dog so its not a EDC holster. For that I use a Milt Sparks IWB and either a G26 or a Colt Commander in 45.
Old January 7, 2009, 08:56 PM   #17
Steve Tate

Usually like to wear the Fobus paddle for Millenium Pro .40, but if I am in layers in the winter, it has got to be the SH.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:59 AM   #18
MisterPX

I'd actually like a shoulderr rig, unfortunately, it seems there aren't too many vertical carry rigs anymore.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:23 AM   #19
2barksters

I also have the Knull rig, but I could never get it adjusted correctly. Printed big time. I now use the Kangaroo clothe holster with my mdl 36. It is very comfortable in the winter and very covert.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:28 AM   #20
mnhntr

i like shoulder rigs also. i feel they are easier to control in a struggle and easier to keep concealed.
Old January 8, 2009, 02:18 PM   #21
LHB1

Quote: "I'd actually like a shoulderr rig, unfortunately, it seems there aren't too many vertical carry rigs anymore."

AMEN!! Alessi makes one but it is a swivel style and thus a little extra bulky. The old George Lawrence style is still around by Galco (?) but it has a STRONG spring in it which badly erodes finish on gun. I like a plain vertical pouch holster (similar to belt style) suspended from shoulder harness but can't find a commercial holster maker with that style. I made my own but it isn't up to the standards of Alessi/Sparks/etc.

Old January 24, 2009, 03:59 PM   #22
armsmaster270

Quote:NDNMAN
You said " I know there is a high number of dead detectives that wish they never did"
What high number of detectives have been killed because of shoulder holsters. When and where were they killed??
I ask because I have been searching for this kind of info for five years.
I can't find any. Please give info not he said she said tales of woe.

On my Dept we had an officer fumble putting his weapon in or taking it out in the locker room. The gun was dropping and the way he caught it his thumb got into the triggerguard with the barrel pointing to his head causing an AD killing him. The incident was witnessed by other officers near him so suicide was ruled out.
Old January 25, 2009, 04:42 PM   #23
bufordtjustice

I used a SH for various activities to include driving or days I was going to work in the office or go to court, etc. If you train enough, they work well but I would still say they don't work nearly as well as a strong side holster. Of course there are tons of horror stories about them but I think many of them are directly related to a lack of experience using the equipment. If you can get by without one, that would be my first suggestion but if you have to have one just make sure you do lots of training with it.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:18 PM   #24
horatioo

Quote:
...neither live ammunition practice nor match shooting with a shoulder holster is performed on a public range.

why
Old January 26, 2009, 10:43 AM   #25
Jmacinnis1

Horatioo, I think there's a simple answer for this...

When drawing from the hip or waistband, you're pointing the firearm in the downward position. If you were to mistakenly fire a round while drawing, you'll most likely shoot down (possibly into your leg or foot ) or slightly forward. At the range, obliviously no one is standing in front of you at the range (down range), so you’re “accident” should involve just you (as far as injuries).

Now with the SH setup (I’m referring to the horizontal layout, not vertical), if you were to mistakenly discharge the weapon somehow while drawing, there’s a possibility you’ll shoot someone behind you or damage property behind you. Also, if you were to shoot yourself in the side somehow (by turning the firearm too far?), I’d bet to say your injuries would be far more severe than shooting yourself in the foot…

Simply put, there’s a higher risk of “greater damage” done if an accidental discharge happens with a SH holster compared to a hip holster. That’s my thoughts on that anyways.

I personally practice with my SH with fake rounds to practice drawing and aiming. I can say I’m not sure how someone would shoot behind them with the SH because of the trigger guard, but I’m sure it’s happened somewhere somehow…