The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1
BLS700

Follow up coyote thread

A while back I came seeking advice on hunting coyotes for the first time. Thank you to all of you who gave great tips. So I went coyote hunting following those tips and feeling prepared. I'd had good luck calling them for practice in the area around home and felt like I would have a good chance at the camp where there were alot more of them. I did not plan on it raining ALOT. I saw nothing. I sat and called and nothing. I moved to new locations and called and nothing. And I lost my new hat. Damn it. Later after the rain let up and it was about an hour from sundown. I used the howler and got a ton of activity. I then heard a shot close by. Again damn it. So here's the question; is it pointless to sit in the rain waiting for a coyote? Has anyone had luck in the rain with them? As a sidenote my cousin and his friends walked up mountains in the rain trying to find a turkey so I wasn't the only fool in the camp.
Old November 15, 2008, 10:23 PM   #2
armedandsafe

oyotes don't wear raincoats. The critters they eat don't wear raincoats. They have to get pretty darn hungry before they venture out in the rain.

However, snowfall is another matter.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old November 15, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
BLS700

Yeah I didn't really expect much but I'd been waiting for this for about two months. Plus I took off work. To be honest I probably would have gone into the woods if it was anything short of a tornado. So there was really no chance then is what your saying.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:47 PM   #4
armedandsafe

It depends on the rain and the general climate in the area you are hunting.

If the 'yotes are in an area where it rain A LOT, then you will find them moving some in light rain. This is because their prey are also accustomed to moving about in light rain.

If it is the second day of drizzle, you will find them up and about some, because they are getting hungry and their prey is out forraging, also.

If you are experiencing an unusual heavy rain and things generally clear up after awhile, the coyotes will be curled up with a good book and a snifter of good stuff.

Coyotes are out and running the hils for one of 3 reasons. They are hungry and looking for critters. They are horny and looking for critters. They just feel good and need to run off some steam while looking for critters. Strong, cold rain will preclude any of those from being successful.

In other words, coyotes are often smarter than hunters.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old November 16, 2008, 01:39 AM   #5
jdscholer

Some of my very best success has been the day after a good storm. Never seem to do as well during foul weather - even wind. When it clears up and settles down, it seems like everything is out making up for lost time. jd
Old November 16, 2008, 04:05 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...I lost my new hat..." You gonna tell us how or will we just make up a story?
The only time cold, crappy, weather is good for hunting is when hunting ducks. Everything else doesn't like it any more than you. Coyotes and fox don't mind the cold(thick fur coats that are particularly nice in winter), but not wet. After rain, sure, but not during. Like armedandsafe says, Wiley will be hungry on the second day of rain, but briefly. A 'dying rabbit' call should work then. Mind you, you'll get cold and wet.
Old November 16, 2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Daryl

In a hard rain, I usually just stay home. Not that I think I can't call and kill a coyote in heavy rain, but we just have so many good days here that I don't have to.

That said, my best days are usually when there's a soft, drizzly rain falling off and on, with lots of heavy clouds...and hopefully it's cold.

On those days, the coyotes are active, and the critters they eat mostly aren't. They're hungry, and they'll come in.

If it's raining heavily, try to make it a point to be out hunting when the rain stops. They'll be hungry, and they'll usually come in pretty good.

Just ahead of a heavy storm is good too, as long as the wind isn't too bad.

Daryl
Old November 17, 2008, 10:47 PM   #8
BLS700

I lost my hat because it was about twenty degrees hotter than it was supposed to be and I brought my carhart wool cap. So I put it on top of my camo ball cap so I wouldn't sweat my @#$ off. I then got lost (a little) and had to walk through really thick woods. A branch must have hit it. I went back to look for it and shockingly couldn't find it (the needle in a haystack thing comes to mind). So ten bucks down the drain. Also, I like the comment I heard on another thread I think about GPS. There are three types of hunters: those who have been lost, those who haven't gotten lost yet, and those who won't admit to being lost.