The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2008, 10:06 AM   #26
J.Smith

I believe the problem here is that america has become to diversified. Just bear with me on this. MY great great .... grandfather was one of the first physicians to land in Jamestown, and my family has lived in or around the colony since then. When those men and women came here they were of one make and model. WASPS founded the colony and WASPS comprised those that made up not only the Decleration of Independence but also the Constitution. These men did not have to plan for the rights of outsiders, their main goal was to secure the rights of settlers against the English monarchy that was so set on ruling them. The constitution at its heart was written to protect those people. I doubt our founding fathers could have forseen the weak spined approach to protecting those freedoms our government has taken. I also doubt they could have forseen a people so concrete in their belief of freedom, would allow a government to take them so far away from their core belief and value system. The US government is only doing what it was trained to do, it is trying to secure the rights of everyone of every background that has come here. The people my ancestors who founded this country refer to themselves as Americans, not African Americans, not European Americans, not Asian Americans, because we seperated ourselves from where we had come from because they has violated our rights as human beings. We became our own nation. We took a land inhabited by natives and created an entire civilization that now spands the length of an entire continent. The problem is that when people come to America to live, they do not cut their ties to their former homes, they bring with them the expectations and ideologies of those nations and expect our constitution to cover their needs instead of learning to live within the culture and society we have built. Millions of people have done this, and the Constitution has been broadened and reformed to encapsulate these needs. The constitution was made as a box to house our values and beliefs and freedoms. It was meant to withstand the test of time, and help form a nation free to be ruled by the people. Somewhere along the road someone found the key to the box and started stuffing new ideas that did not further the orginal articles, but rather broke their bonds and incorporated acts that would make it "easier" for others to deal with. This is where we stand now, our Constitution will eventually burst, because the box cannot hold every need and want of every individual that comes here with their own expectations of what america owes them. They did not fight for this land they merely come to reap what we have sewn. So now onto the point for the registering guns.

Under the constitution as it reads now, you should turn the weapons in and hope that the ATF is lenient on you, but that is not what an American should do. If you believe in the Constitution as it was originally written, and the beliefs this country was founded on, put it in a box and place it in your attic. One day the box is going to break open, and all the excess rules and laws that have been stuffed into it to form this more perfect union will be gone. The Constitution will have plenty of room to sit at the head of this country and once again will not provide as a "building block" for our laws, but it will stand as the keystone of america, and act as a mold for all americans. It is your right to bare arms, do so and know that your resistance to the monarchy of our times, will mark you as a leader in the fight for a true american democracy.
Old August 2, 2008, 11:21 AM   #27
22-rimfire

Maybe I'm missing something in this thread, but I don't see a problem in most states with anything other than a full auto?? A full auto has to be cut up unfortunately unless you want to risk storing it until some future date when the masses rise up or there is another amnesty period.

I don't understand what the OP means by registration? It would help to know what state and I guess what city if it is DC or NYC or similar.
Old August 5, 2008, 07:12 PM   #28
oberkommando

Stagger Lee, it is not just the courts that determine constitutionality of laws but juries that can and should judge the law itself.

"The jury has a right to judge both the law as well as the fact in controversy."

John Jay, 1st Chief Justice U.S. supreme Court, 1789

There seems no need for additional 'context' or a legal treatise to decipher the above sentence.
Old August 6, 2008, 08:57 AM   #29
CPTMurdoc30

I say don't worry about it. If you want move out of the communist state. The guberment doen't need to know what I have in my safe if anything. Does the guberment come to check how many tv's you have? what about sex toys? do they come into your home looking for them? A tv does more damage in 30 minutes that shoot a gun does in 30 minutes. But the guberment does not want to regulate how many tv you can own.

I would like to know when state laws can trump the constitution of the USA?
Old August 20, 2008, 12:21 PM   #30
07ShelbyWanter

in NJ its completely legal to inherit firearms without registering them or having a Firearms ID card. I recently inherited some from my grandfather.

See 13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees On the link below. But specific rules apply to acquiring machine guns and assault weapons (exact models are listed at top) upon death. See 13:54-5.2

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf...tle13-ch54.pdf
Old August 20, 2008, 04:05 PM   #31
ElectricHellfire

I'd say leave it unregistered. What they dont know doesnt hurt them and your asking to possibly open up a can O worms. Let it be.
Old August 21, 2008, 01:32 PM   #32
jtdominate

This started out hilarious. I think AK said it best.

I grew up in DC and just watching what how they're trying to circumvent the SC ruling is downright sickening. Glad I got out when I did.

The govt has good intentions but waaaay too many liberals wonks with their hands in the pot. "Gun Control" just doesn't make sense. The "bad guys" are gonna find a way to get their paws on whatever they want. Even if it comes from our own govt attempting to make things better somewhere else an said banned weapons make it into said "bad guys" hands.....go figure.

Anyway I'm just glad I don't have to put up with that mess in the great state of FL.

I for one would not feel obligated to register them given the circumstances and the fact that you are within the realm of the law.

Last edited by jtdominate; August 21, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:21 PM   #33
Jermtheory

all the mice know,is how to push the button for their pellet.
Old August 26, 2008, 05:53 PM   #34
FyredUp

My advice. Keep quiet about it and don't register it.

In fact if it was me I would store it seperate from my other guns.
Old August 27, 2008, 07:05 AM   #35
ringworm

wanna hear a story that will make you cry?
How about one that starts with a guy finding an MP44 WWII bringback wrapped in a quilt the corner of a halway closet of his dead grandfather?
now if that happened prior to the passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act then the rifle would be worth around $20,000.
Old August 27, 2008, 11:22 AM   #36
NineInchNails

I don't know how it works in other states, but from what I understand about here in Indiana ... ya just walk into a store, run a background check, pay for the gun, and walk out with it.

There is NO "gun registration" that I am aware of here in Indiana. Obviously there's some sort of record that I purchased it at the store, but where the weapon goes after me ... it's nobody’s business as far as I'm concerned.

Cars are registered. Machine guns are registered. Class 3 items like suppressors, SBR (short barreled rifles), and grenades are registered.

If I want to sell any of my guns to someone ... I just sell it as though it were a toaster. Give me the $$$ and I give you the gun. Write a receipt with the serial # if you wish (to cover your own ass), but there's no such thing as a "registration" in Indiana.

The first thing that happens during Martial Law is disarming the public. This is precisely why we keep and bear arms ... to keep that very thing from happening. You know the term ... "FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS". Regardless what ANYONE else thinks about martial law, thinks that our government is not capable, or has no intention of instituting it … go ahead and be naïve as it is your right to be. As a matter of fact, our government, the IRS, and the Federal Reserve encourages naivety.

I’m sure the ‘Patriot Act’ is all in our best interests along with Bush’s executive orders, and the death of Habeas Corpus. If you do not know what any of these are, look it up.

Here’s what Habeas Corpus is about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8BqvJO5t4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiVoEtK-JD0

After watching at least the first video … ask yourself whether ya feel the nagging urge to ‘register’ a pistol at your local police station.
Old August 27, 2008, 12:06 PM   #37
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

In NY there is a section on the pistol permit application that indicates you are in possession of an inherited gun that you would like put on your new permit. I've never known it to be a problem. With rifle in NY there is no need for registration, I can sell a rifle to my neighbor with no questions asked.
(All this applies only to areas outside NYC)