The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 4, 2006, 08:38 PM   #1
vts

Cheap singel barrel 12 or 20 gauge

I just tried a singel barrel 20g New England. Lot of fun.
Now i want one, so after my waiting period of 30 days i might just get one.

Where to buy one?
What to buy?

It will be used fore some clay and maybe som hunting, but nothing to serious.
Old July 4, 2006, 09:11 PM   #2
sm

I am a huge proponent of the NEF 20 gauge Youth Model .

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/topper.aspx

Topper Junior 20 Gauge (SB1-258) is the one I keep handy here as I type, gets toted in the truck, aids in teaching new shooters, including smaller folks...etc.

Yes I am 6' 170 # male.

A LOT of folks have bought this gun for a "handy niche" gun.
With its fixed Modified barrel, mine and others have shot some of the best slug groups and pellet patterns we have seen. For a C note one can have a "truck gun" , loaner gun for kid, and have something reliable.

20 ga in this size is better than 12 for recoil. This a PC, plain vanilla gun is unlike a single shot having had the barrel "whacked" to make a truck gun...and not shoot any loadings worth a flip due to no choke.

Mine comes with recoil pad. Ironically it is black ...I wanted this one :
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotg...dnerYouth.aspx
20 Gauge (SB1-250)

There was a mix up when my gun buddy ordered mine and I kept the black one (SB1-258), actually has worked better for new shooters with the traditonal pistol grip over the English straight grip on the (SB1-250).

Now I have used the SB1- 250 I do not have a problem with English Straight Grip.

For a quality, reliable, classic shotgun, that patterns and groups slugs, add the PC factor - these cannot be beat for behind the door, teaching, toting and so on.

Understand I have a LOT of trigger time with a shotgun.

For a very first shotgun - real hard to beat a Used pump shotgun, or Remington Express combo with a 26"/28" barrel with chokes and rifle sighted short smoothbore barrel.

This affords learning to shoot using clays, hunting, taking lessons on clay games, etc.
The short rifle sighted smoothbore barrel is great for slugs for deer ...and HD...and taking a defensive shotgun class.

So I would weigh spending the C note for the Single shot now - or waiting , saving up more monies and spending the monies for the Combo Pump Gun for a first shotgun.

Granted the idea is to collect the whole set of shotguns...gotta start somewhere - right?

Steve
Old July 4, 2006, 09:20 PM   #3
270Win

Tangential question: 30 day wait period between long guns?
Old July 5, 2006, 03:20 AM   #4
kozak6

I have a H&R (same as NEF) single shot 12 gauge, and let me tell you, it kicks like hell. Since it only weighs something like 6-7 pounds and has a hard plastic butt pad, it is downright nasty to shoot.

Even with plain 2 3/4" trap loads, it is brutal. My shoulder aches simply thinking about what a heavier load would feel like.

It's probably a good decision to go with the 20 gauge since it will recoil significantly less.
Old July 5, 2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

These NEF/H&Rs are reliable, inexpensive, loads of fun and kick like heck.

The 12 gauge NEF here weighs 5 lbs, 9 oz and has a 3" chamber. Not on a bet.

With loads scaled to weight, a good pad and form, they provide an easy toting shotgun for when one will be walking plenty and shooting a little.

In the smaller gauges they serve well as starter shotguns for new and young shooters.
Old July 5, 2006, 11:54 AM   #6
vts

Welcome to California. The land of the free, unless you want more than 10 shot per magasine or more than one gun per 30 days and if you want to carry a concealed gun to protect you and your family.

Have a nice day.
Old July 5, 2006, 12:02 PM   #7
smooks75

+1 on the NEF/H&R singles. I have two 12 ga., one in a 20 inch config. and one in 28. Great gun! Very reliable.
Old July 5, 2006, 05:40 PM   #8
6shooter

I have a New England Arms 12 gauge. I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it and it is a pleasure to shoot now.
Old July 5, 2006, 05:45 PM   #9
rugerdude

Mmmmm.....2 3/4 inch buckshot and slugs through an NEF single shot 12. It was a blast, if mildly painful.

I hear good things about the remington imported russki guns (can't remember the name) but they sell them at wal-mart and other such places. The NEF's are good too.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old July 7, 2006, 02:59 AM   #10
vts

The Russian guns are imported in Europe under the name "Star".
The are heavy and ugly but vell made and reliable.
Old July 7, 2006, 06:25 PM   #11
kozak6

Some of Baikal's guns are also imported by Remington and sold under the "Spartan" line, I believe.
Old July 10, 2006, 12:10 AM   #12
guntotin_fool

well we grew up in the town that created H&R but we have banned them from our hunting land. We have had three ND's on our land, all three have been "pipes" or single barrels exposed hammer shotguns.

first was a youngster who was trying to pull the hammer back while wearing gloves, his finger slipped and the gun discharged, all the was hurt was a young birch tree.

second was a visitor, he was walking thru the woods and got somewhat tangled up in a thicket. He tried to bullrush his way thru and somehow got the hammer intertwined with a sapling that managed to draw the hammer back far enough to trip it. no damage.

Last one was this past fall. Nephew was going to use it as he lent his pump to a visiting friend. A bird was flushed and he pulled back the hammer to cock and when he did not have a shot, he tried to lower the hammer and found he could not. He tried to open the action and found that fouled by the hammer being at full cock. twice more he tried to lower the hammer. (he is 20 or so, and has hunted his whole life, not a newby to hunting or guns) while walking back to the shack, he slipped a bit and bumped his shoulder to a tree. The gun discharged. Luckily it was point up, but he got a nasty bruise to his wrist from the recoil being at a awkward angle.

This is not just one gun, but three different ones, a youth 20, a full size 20 and a adult 12. We just do not consider these to be safe enough for us to use, last chance or what ever ok, but we have banned them from use on our property. For what you are going to pay for one of these you can find a workable Steven, Marlin, Remington, or Winchester used at a shop or pawn store.