The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2002, 01:41 PM   #1
CMichael

Trap vs. Skeet

Hello,

If you play the sporting games do you prefer trap or skeet and why?

Michael
Old April 9, 2002, 01:47 PM   #2
SDC

I like them both (I also like sporting clays, or ANY type of shooting, for that matter). It depends on what mood I'm in, how active I want to get, etc. I find trap is more relaxed, but skeet is more "social". The hardest thing for me was to figure out what the leads in skeet "looked" like to me, otherwise I'd never hit anything. I think going 25 straight in skeet is a little more satisfying, but whatever you like....
Old April 9, 2002, 02:29 PM   #3
PJR

I like all the games but shoot more trap because that is what is most available in my area. There are a couple of winter leagues running that keep me busy and readily accessible registered trap year round.

That said I like skeet a lot and think of it more as a summer game than trap. Sporting is also a great game and although there is only one club within reasonable driving distance it's a good one.

I shoot more trap in the winter and skeet and sporting when the weather warms up. In the fall I'm tromping through the bush looking for grouse.
Old April 9, 2002, 02:33 PM   #4
Bud1

If those are the only two games available, I'll take skeet.

It is a slightly more difficult game, but you can make it more challenging by tightening up your choke, shooting all doubles, shooting doubles in reverse order, shooting chips, etc.
Old April 9, 2002, 03:18 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Like Bronds or Bluenets, both good. Waste not.

Sam
Old April 9, 2002, 04:13 PM   #6
K80Geoff

SKEET!

Definitely more sociable. Shooters are able to talk and the game can be customized to suit your desired level of difficulty.

Trapshooters are grumpy and the round goes too quickly for me.
Old April 9, 2002, 05:12 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Trap.

Skeet shooters talk all the time.
A round of skeet takes too long.
Plus the time it takes to change tubes in their over/unders. I think it is in the rules somewhere that they must shoot one box of each gauge every trip to the range.
Old April 9, 2002, 05:26 PM   #8
Chuck Graber

There is an old saying, In trap you are never allowed to comment on a shot. In Sporting Clays you can comment if you want and it was a note worthy shot. In Skeet you are required to comment on all shots.

My preference is for Sporting Clays. I think that it is the best practice for hunting and has a much greater variety of targets than either Skeet or Trap. I like Skeet for working on the fundamentals of stance, target aquisition, mount and swing. Trap is good for getting on the target quickly and working on rising targets.

BTW, I shoot all games with an unmounted gun except for skeet at station 8.

Chuck Graber
Old April 9, 2002, 05:56 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shoot them all, trap,skeet, sporting or rats at the dump by headlights. Shoot cans, steel plates, bowling pins, or bats with a 410. Go to turkey shoots, practical matches,slug shoots. All good fun....

Skeeters are more sociable, trapshooters deep thinkers who mask it by complaining about their bursitis,diabetes,bad back, trick knees,etc. They don't want others to feel bad because they can't keep up mentally(G)...
Old April 10, 2002, 06:04 AM   #10
K80Geoff

Watson - Good point! Skeet can be shot with any gauge. A definite plus if you have difficulty with the recoil of the 12 GA. I know a couple of geezers who only shoot 28 ga. One who had surgery on his shoulder and only could handle 28 in his O/U.

Trap shooters more mental? All I know is that they wear blinders on their glasses and grunt a lot. Can't get them out on the Sporting Clays course because they might miss and that would devastate them

I shoot low gun too. One of these days I will hit low 8

Low gun on the Trap field has gotten me blacklisted by many shooters. Must ruin their concentration or something.
Old April 10, 2002, 01:01 PM   #11
Proshots

SKEET! Like the rest of you, I like it all, but skeet is both easier AND more challenging. Skeet is easier because you always know where the bird is coming from and going too. It's a head game to do your part. If you do...25 straight That's the more challenging part, the mental concentration. Personally, when I shoot skeet, it IS a social event. That's what I like. I'm not in a hurry to shoot, I'm there to enjoy the time with my buddies (and wife). Clays is a lot like skeet, with the addition of not knowing the exact path of flight of the bird. It too can be social. Not to offend anyone, but to me trap is just a boring way to burn powder.
Old April 10, 2002, 03:45 PM   #12
9mmMike

Well I guess this does not count as an official sport but I like hand-tossed clays the best. You never know where they're going (especially when I'm throwing) and it is very social as well.
I take guys out a couple times a month (at least) and we always have a blast. Hand throwers are great. If you have a novice thrower, they can be a riot. I just took my eldest brother out. It was his first time with a SG and when he took his turn at the thrower we got some of the most bizzare and odd-angled shots I've had to do in a long time.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old April 10, 2002, 05:14 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Well, if you are going to get into that sort of stuff, as things are winding down in the evening at our club, the stick birds start to fly. Put the target clip from a hand thrower on the longest golf club blank you can find. A good windup, cast, and followthrough can make a target do some amazing things.

Charles Askins was a championship Skeet shooter (as well as many other accomplishments he was always ready to brag about) and he said he could teach a new shooter the basics of trap faster, but could make him a winning skeet shooter sooner.

Sporting Clays gets all the press these days, but just because it is a leisurely sport with widely varied shots, it is harder to do and slower to learn. I think the new shooter should learn the basics at skeet and trap where he can accumulate some targets.
Old April 11, 2002, 04:29 AM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Handthrown clays is the game most of us start off with, and it's a good one to do so. The variety of shots can be amazing.

Kidding aside, someone who shoots fairly well at Skeet, SC AND Trap with merely a change of tubes and ammo, but with the same gun, is one heckuva shot.
Old April 11, 2002, 12:12 PM   #15
Thairlar

I like both. Trap seems more fast paced, and I think skeet is easier for teaching someone who's never fired a shotgun before. Trap is too fast paced than skeet and there's less opportunity for coaching in the middle of a round.

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference in having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?

-Patrick Henry
Old April 11, 2002, 02:42 PM   #16
Poodleshooter

At my trap range, some shooters are stiff and pensive, but others are just out there to have a good time. I remember one older fellow who once inhaled the smoke from his shot through the breech of his double, then blew it out for the amusement of all.
I haven't been around the skeeters enough to know how they are. I tend to like a more jovial atmosphere.
I think that I will like skeet more, as it seems more applicable for my hunting conditions.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:25 AM   #17
K80Geoff

The old timers told me when I started shooting clays Trap is easy to learn and hard to master. Skeet is difficult to learn and easy to master.

Skeet is probably better for newbies as they will get more coaching (Good , Bad and otherwise) from the shooters waiting for you to shoot.