The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
MTHall720

Mossberg 500 series Or Remington 870?

Does anyone have both of these? I used to have a full synthetic stock but never saw the Remington. Looking at the shorter barrel strictly for Home Defense CQC.
Is there much difference in terms of weight, reliability and perceived recoil?
Thanks.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Amsdorf

No.
No.
No.

"Perceived" recoil is very subjective.

Actual recoil impulse is more objective.

You will feel a 00 Buck shot with any stock shoulder stock on any shotgun.

I prefer a Benelli M4 myself.

Own two Remington 870s.

Mossbergs are fine too.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
357 Python

I have access to the Mossberg at work but I have 2 Remington 870 Wingmaster at home. There is a difference in weight due to the Mossberg having an aluminum receiver and the Remington having a steel receiver. The safeties are different as well. The Mossberg is on the tang of the receiver and the Remington has the safety in the trigger group. Both are great shotguns for home defense or any other purpose. The most telling difference is the price. The Mossberg costs less allowing more funds for ammo and accessories. If I chose the Mossberg I would go with the 590A1. It is specifcally designed for heavy duty defensive use.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4
jmortimer

They are both proven and you can't go wrong here. For the $$$ it is hard to beat a basic 500 with two barrels for a great package deal. You can always upgrade later after you have shot a few hundred/thousand rounds.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
They are both proven and you can't go wrong here. For the $$$ it is hard to beat a basic 500 with two barrels for a great package deal. You can always upgrade later after you have shot a few hundred/thousand rounds.
What does the Mossy 500 package cost? You can get a Winchester SXP package for roughly $350. To me that's a great value.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:17 PM   #6
natman

No.

I prefer the Mossberg for the following reasons:

The lifter is up on the Mossberg with around chambered, down with the Remington. This makes reloading easier on the Mossberg.

The safety is on the top on the Mossberg where I can see it, down by the trigger on a Remington.

(This is a disadvantage for the Mossberg if you insist on having a pistol grip stock. I don't like PG stocks, so it's a non-issue for me)

Out of the box a Remington Express is slightly smoother than a Mossberg, but this is easily corrected if you know which side of a gunsmith's stone to use.

Some count the steel receiver of the Remington as an advantage over the Mossberg, but since I've never heard of a Mossberg receiver wearing out or breaking, it seems that the only difference is that the Remington is heavier.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:07 PM   #7
MTHall720

Thanks everyone for the help with this.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Colt46

Tang safety for me

They are both great shotguns, but I'm not a fan of the remington placement.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:47 PM   #9
jmortimer

"What does the Mossy 500 package cost? You can get a Winchester SXP package for roughly $350. To me that's a great value."
About $350.00 for the "Field and Security Combo" so it is push. The quality is there in the SXP but I believe it is made in Turkey if that matters. I would have no problem getting the SXP it is has the back-bored barrel and is .742 out.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Noreaster

Both great shotguns. My HD gun is a 870 clone, NEF Pardner Pump for under $200. Runs great, heavier then the Mossberg but I'm not lugging it around the woods.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:49 PM   #11
kj4963

Own the 870 and love it. Have shot the Mossberg and thought it was great. If the Mossberg is cheaper, I say go with that.
Bersa Thunder 380
Old November 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #12
rickyjames

i would research the quality of the remington 870. since remington has been bought out there have been lots of poor quality comments on many of remingtons new production products.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:51 AM   #13
mharveyww1

Remington 870

I have a special affinity for the 870 after toting one for a while in lovely SE Asia! In a wet climate and conditions so dirty that you'd just have to experience (and endure) to believe, it never failed to get the job done.

Yes, you can do the same things to the Mossbergs and I knew some guys who carried THEM in combat and were also well-served.
Either will get the job done and both are reliable if handled properly.

Since those days of my ill-spent youth, I acquired an 870 Tactical and have 'tricked it out' with a side-mounted shell holder, Knoxx Stock and Tritium night sights.

A left hand injury (permanent damage) has caused me to forsake it, however, because I just can't be sure than I'M going to perform reliably... especially in an adrenaline-flooded situation!

Enter: The Benelli M-4...WOW! Yes, it IS expensive. But, if you plan to keep whichever gun you buy for many years, the M-4 is well worth the extra $$$.
To my knowledge, it's the first semi-auto shotgun that has been accepted by the US Military. If the USMC thinks it's reliable enough to use in the Sandbox, then it's good enough for me.
I've "tricked it out" as well, including the magazine extender (7+1), larger charging handle, side-mounted shell holder, 3-point sling and Trijicon night sights. It is as beautiful to look at as it is to shoot and, through 1,000+ rounds...so far...not one hiccup or cough. This is a semi-auto you can really trust your life with.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Mike
Old November 19, 2012, 08:06 AM   #14
MagnumWill

Quote:
To my knowledge, it's the first semi-auto shotgun that has been accepted by the US Military. If the USMC thinks it's reliable enough to use in the Sandbox, then it's good enough for me.
One of the guys at my LGS seconds that- his unit had them assigned to them, and he was completely impressed with them. I would choose one any day over a Mossy or Remington- but for now, I love my 590A1

...we should really sticky a 500 vs 870 thread... Just sayin'.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
carpshooter

A little known fact !

I own both , alot more Mossbergs 500s and a 590A1 and both are good , except the wood stocks on the Mossbergs crack . Only thing I don't like about the Mossberg .
Old November 19, 2012, 12:26 PM   #16
scottd913

awww yes ...yet again another Mossberg vs.Chevy or a Ford vs.Remington debate.
it's a coin toss, get which ever one suits your wallet best and believe you me you will stand on your side of this age old debate.
they are both great shotguns and i stand on the Mossberg side but you can stand on which ever side you want.
i wounder what those guys think about all of us doing this while they hold there $1000.00 guns is it like Donald Trump and Bill Gates watching swam people on the history channel??
Old November 19, 2012, 09:54 PM   #17
droptrd

I just picked up my 3rd 500 the other day. Got a blued 500 in walnut with the field/deer combo. $270. Chrome bolt and carrier.
Old November 20, 2012, 03:28 PM   #18
loose_holster_dan

so much you can do with either. my 870 express has undergone some changes...

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 20, 2012, 04:12 PM   #19
jlove1974

Fans of the Remington can buy a Maverick 88 and have the superior weight savings of a Mossberg with the oh so familiar cross-bolt safety at a cheaper price. Or they can opt for the Chinese clone NEF Pardner pump and get a better 870 than a current production 870 express .

Personally, since Remington has cut so many jobs and consolidated at Ilion NY, ruining Marlin and Bushmaster in the process, I haven't even considered purchasing anything with that name attached to it.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Warrior1256

I bought a stock 500 Mossburg a few years ago. I took it to a gunsmith and had the barrel shortened to 15 1/2", had the stock removed and replaced with a folding stock. Made a great tactical shotgun.

Last edited by Warrior1256; November 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:33 PM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

I've always been partial to the 870, but either one will serve you well.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:50 PM   #22
9mm

I have both 500 and 870, the 870 is tactical model w/ghost sights, nice. The 500 is the plastic stock set w/pistol grip, matte finish. I added houge pistol grip set, very nice shooting with the pistol grip even one handed. I recommend both guns, mine both of 300+ 12g rounds down the tube.

The 870 is a beast with the steel receiver. The 500 is lighter, and has double extractors. The bonus with the 870 is a loader gate ramp, to keep shells from falling out of the bottom which I had once or twice in my 500.

You can't go wrong with either, they been making guns for years. I would just flip a coin if I had to do it again. Really enjoy both of mine.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:36 AM   #23
ffs1942

Mossy 500 an unbelieveable pointer...

Haven't owned or fired a Remington, but my overall experience with Remington products is underwhelming.
I've performed shooting feats with my Mossberg 500 that have AMAZED me. The tang safety and slightly enlarged trigger guard of the 500 are advantages. The open bottom receiver of the 500 makes it easy to clear if you shortshuck. I hear an 870 needs a knife or screwdriver if this happens, but maybe 870's can't be jammed.

The Mossy is cheaper. Overall build quality of the 870 seems better.

The 870 has an almost legendary status, but my experience with a Remington 10C and Remington ammo leaves no magic with me.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:09 AM   #24
4V50 Gary
Staff

When the Rem 870 is mentioned, the model should be discussed.

The Rem 870 Wingmaster is a better gun than the Express. Better parts and better finish (it's not just a rougher exterior). The Express was designed to compete against the lower priced Mossberg 500.

Of the Mossbergs, I prefer the 590. As mentioned by another, since its a defensive shotgun, it's heavier duty (mil spec methinks).

Of the two, I prefer the 870 Wingmaster. I'm more familiar with it and have the tools to service it.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:49 PM   #25
ohiomossyoak

I personally like the mossberg 500 over the 870 as a HD weapon..I love the tang mounted safety of the 500..Now if you wanted a smooth as silk pump gun for hunting I would say a 870 wingmaster...I have previously owned a 30in barreled wingmaster,currently own 24in rifled barreled 500 and a 24in turkey barreled Mossberg 835...The 835 is my HD shotgun as well as my field gun for anything other then slugs.Its just a tough an heavy shotgun that does work...It will pattern pretty dang good with everything I have tried.....If you trigger group safety is fine for you...I would consider the Maverick or NEF pardner HD models as well..