The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 26, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1
babarracing

LEO Tactic for spurred hammer draw: HELP!

Anybody know of an LEO tactic for drawing a spurred Hammer revolver which could eliminate snagging?
Old January 26, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
M1911

I think you've found out why S&W sells hammerless and shrouded hammer revolvers.

1) remove the spur from the hammer
2) another way, which I don't particularly like, is to put your thumb on the hammer while drawing. I don't much care for this because a) you might accidentally cock the hammer and b) you have a relatively poor grip on the gun while drawing and must shift your grip (move thumb to the grip) after the draw.

Honestly, the best approach is to get a different revolver.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Creature

You will just need to practice clearing your holster of any loose fitting clothing with your non-drawing hand during the draw to ensure that no clothing is in the way to catch on the exposed hammer.

Last edited by Creature; January 26, 2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added pic
Old January 26, 2009, 04:42 PM   #4
kraigwy

I had a "spur" or hammer on my Model 28, I used a Hoyt break front holster, never had a problem snagging the hammer.

But that was only 20 years in LE, maybe if I gave it more time I could have found a problem.

You want to know how to use a hammer(ed) revolver in LE, Read Bill Jordon's NO SECOND PLACE WINNER.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; January 26, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:00 PM   #5
babarracing

Spurred hammer draw:

Yes, I thank you all for the suggestions. I carry a S&W 342 "AirLite" because I am anal retentive about hammer snag. But the darn thing while being the easiest gun to carry I've ever owned, Is also the most painful except maybe a 2 1/2 inch or so Lew Horten 629 with wood finger goove grips I once had,firing magnum ammo. I guess I can try to find Jordan's book
Old January 27, 2009, 08:45 AM   #6
M1911

There is no free lunch. The light S&W revolvers are easy to carry but a bear to shoot. If you want a heavier, small revolver, they will be easier to shoot but harder to carry.

If you still want to be able to shoot single action but not have problems with hammer snags, then the revolver to get is the S&W mode 649:

You can't see it in the picture, but the hammer protrudes slightly above the shroud. So you can still cock it manually if you want. This is all steel, so it is much heavier than your airweight.
Old January 27, 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
WC145

My BUG is a S&W Model 360 in 9mm with a partially bobbed hammer. I use the thumb on the hammer method and have never had any issues with either "accidently" cocking it or poor grip. Like everything else, practice makes huge difference. IMO, since revolvers with spurred hammers have been carried for 150+ years with excellent results, I don't think we need to rule them out now.

Since you already have one of the easiest to carry and draw revolvers ever made, why do you want to change? If recoil is an issue, practice with the lightest loads you can find and carry it loaded with the hot stuff. If you ever have to use it you won't notice the pain.