The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Coyote Hitman

Loads for .357

I just got myself set up again after 15 years off. I just started to set up the my single stage for .357 magnum. I have RCBS dies, some W296, CCI 550 magnum primers, and 125 grain RNFP lead bullets. I resized/deprimed, primed, flared the necks, charged with 19 grains of powder, but I cannot remember how to set up the seater/crimp die. Rather than break something or blow myself up, I was hoping someone could offer a little assistance.

1. What OAL length should I be shooting for? It seems that if I seat to the top crimping cannelure, I will slightly compress the powder charge (which I verified was correct, twice)?

2. Any tips on setting up the die?

3. Anyone who has pdf load charts, if you could send them it would be appreciated.
Old November 25, 2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Bboomer

Hum... has been a while since I set up my dies but I'll take a stab at setting up the seater/crimp die.

Find your idea COAL and seat the bullet to that depth (without crimping it).

Once you have the bullet set to propper lenght pull the seater stem all the way out and put it aside.

Now, keep adjusting your die body up and down till you get the amount of desired crimp. (It'll take some trial runs).

Once you get the crimp you want ( lock it down with the allen set screw now), screw the seater stem back in till it just barely touches the bullet. You'll still have to make some minor adjustments cause I'm sure the bullet deapth will change minutely till you get the stem where you want it.
Old November 25, 2008, 10:58 PM   #3
shepheard

I would definately get a couple load books and give a quick read through for refreshment reasons. I believe RCBS's web site probably has set up instructions. YYour load book of chioce will have all the COAL data for the bullet that your shootin.
Old November 26, 2008, 12:35 AM   #4
bullspotter

I would look for the compleat reloading manual for the .357. Sportaman WH sells them and most good sporting good stores might have it, it covers alot of data for just the 357. Will have COAL for lots of diff bullets, and tons of loads from all the big bullet makers as well as data from powder makers. I dont have it for the 357 as ive been using the same loads for years with out change. not sure about the coal for the 12g gr RNFP your loading but my Hornaday book shows a coal of 1.590 for a 125 grain jhp. Might get you close i have no idea.
Old November 26, 2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Coyote Hitman

Thanks for the replies. I used the Lee videos for a refresher and churned out some loads tonight. I have a Speer manual, but there are no COAL's listed in it for pistol rounds.
Old November 26, 2008, 02:27 PM   #6
10 Spot Terminator

They tend not to list OAL in most all handgun load data for a couple of reasons one being the diverse chamber dimensions for double duty pistol / rifle rounds of which the 357 is one and also in many of the handguns themselves made over the years but when you check the published data for cartidge dimensions they list 1.590 as the OAL for loaded rounds . As for how to set up your RCBS dies if you have any other of the die sets be they rifle or handgun the should have their generic instructions sheet in them that covers set up of both dies . You can call RCBS at 1-800-533-5000 Monday-Thursday from 7:00 am to 4:30 pm PST and they will more than likely send you a set for free . If that doesnt work PM me and let me know if you are seating and crimping in one operation or crimping seperately and I will try to help . Good Luck ! 10 SPOT

Last edited by 10 Spot Terminator; November 26, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old November 26, 2008, 04:55 PM   #7
abber

Didn't the RCBS dies come with a set of instructions? They usually do.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:10 PM   #8
Scorch

I would find a different powder for 125 gr cast bullets. WW296 is`a magnum pistol powder, intended for full charges under heavy bullets. It burns too hot for cast loads, and is not recommended for light loads. Try a faster powder like Bullseye, Unique, Universal, or Trail Boss.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:46 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...remember how to set up the seater/crimp die..." Read your manual. The die is put in the same way the other are, then you adjust the seating plug and the die to seat and crimp.
"...not recommended for light loads..." You don't need magnum primers either.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Coyote Hitman

Thanks for the info on the W296. I also have on hand IMR4227, AA5744, and W231. Any other recommendations for an affordable, relatively clean, cast bullet friendly, powder are welcome. I would love a general use powder good for use in everything from 9mm-44 mag; being able to use it in 5.56, 7.62X39, 22-250 is a real plus. I generally load my rounds for plinking and I keep them on the soft side to save wear and tear on my brass and guns, but I do load some handgun hunting rounds and like them on the stout side.

Would 231 fit that role, any opinions?

The rounds I loaded are 125 grain RNFP over 18.5 grains of W296 with a magnum primer. I am going to run a few of them through the gun this weekend. My reloading manual is 15-20 years old now, so I am going to pick up a new one this x-mas. Anyone recommend one over the other?

Last edited by Coyote Hitman; November 28, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Dr. A

231 is a fine cast bullet powder. Remember bought cast bullets in a 357 need to go at around 38 special speeds. Any 38 special data would be appropriate, but with 357 cases I would start at 4.5 and go up to perhaps 5.5gr. with 4.5 where I would prefer to have those bullets. Most cast that are sold for that caliber are 158gr.

I love Unique in the 357, and if you had 125gr. JSP or JHP I would use 7.5gr. for a good plinking-using load. Its my varmit load. Anything faster than 1000fps with a cast bullet needs to tried out and played with because of the possibility of leading and innacuracy. I cast my own, and find I can shoot them quite a bit faster than store bought. Gas checks are also needed for the upper level of performance like with the slower powder you mentioned.

I also like and use often 6gr. of uniuqe or 7gr. of Herco with a 158gr. cast bullet. With my own cast, its probably up in the 1050fps range, and is extremely accurate.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Black_Sheep

Quote:
I generally load my rounds for plinking and I keep them on the soft side to save wear and tear on my brass and guns, but I do load some handgun hunting rounds and like them on the stout side.
Use the 296 with magnum primers for hunting loads, W231 and standard primers for lighter duty loads with lead bullets. I've been working up some .357 loads and shot the latest batch today, they were 5.3 grains of W231 with standard primers and 158 grain copper plated lead SWC. The load was a little "lively" in the 2" barrel model 60 S&W but pretty tame in a 6" GP-100...
Old December 5, 2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Coyote Hitman

I put some 158 grainers atop 4.4 grains of 231. I will see how they work out. I went ahead and pulled the ones I loaded with 296.
Old December 6, 2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Smaug

PDF load charts? You're asking a bit much there pal, hehehe.

I'll give you a good recipe though:

-357 cases
-meisterbullets.com 105 gr. FP bullets
-4.7 gr. Bullseye
-seat bullet to crimping cannelure and roll crimp

These loads feel like 38 Specials. I'm going to try them next time with an even lighter load.

Here's another load that is also light & easy to shoot.

-357 cases
-meister 158 gr. RNFP bullets
-3.4 gr. of HP38
-bullets seated to crimping cannelure and roll crimped

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old December 6, 2008, 11:18 AM   #15
Smaug

Just read your last post. W231 is very close to HP38 that I recommended. You can cut that charge down some and they'll be even lighter. 4.4 gr. is going to feel like a +P 38 Special.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer