The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 03:31 AM   #1
rfxcasey

New Shotgun Damaged Trigger Group

He all, just got a brand new Winchester SXP defender. I took it to the range and fired about 20 shots of target load through it. Got home, took it apart to clean and noticed some damage on the trigger group. There are a couple of gouges and I'm wondering if this is abnormal. Here is a pick of where the damage is. This is not the exact trigger group but its close enough you get the idea. Where it pivots there are like 2 fairly deep scratches and up higher there is marring like the back of the bolt slammed into it and made an impression. Is this normal, should I be concerned? Is there a chance Winchester will comp me a trigger group or a new part?
Old March 20, 2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Virginian

Sounds like normal wear to me.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

What you indicated with the arrows is the hammer - unless it is battered far out of shape (bulging for whatever reason) etc, it's OK - wear to the finish is normal there...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:40 PM   #4
rfxcasey

Well, it has a bit of a ding at the upper arrow. After only shooting about 20 rounds do you all think it could just not be broken in yet? I'll post a pick once my camera charges.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:19 AM   #5
dalecooper51

I think it will wear in a bit and not get any worse. Not the same gun, but here is a pic of the hammer on my Remington after 8k rounds or so. It has a couple dings in it, but not a concern. If you use something it will show some wear.