The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2012, 04:52 PM   #1
lwestatbus

Miami Classic Questions

I have decided that I want a shoulder holster for my Kimber 1911 full sized pistol. I have done a LOT of online research and the Miami Classic keeps cropping up with positive to very positive reviews. However I have so far been unable to locate one to examine or purchase locally. While I'm willing to go mail order I've got just a couple of questions I'd appreciate some help with from owners:

1. I see that Galco makes/made a Jackass, Miami Classic, Miami Classic II, and Miami Classic lite. It seems to me that the Miami Classic and MC II differ in whether the magazines are open or covered with snap closures. Can anyone confirm this? I'd prefer the snap closure version.

1.A. Any recommendations on snap-closure vs. the open version for magazine carry?

2. Does the 1911 model include a channel for the front sight? I have a predjudice for adjustable sights and my intended carry pistol has them. While the front sight isn't one of those monster-high versions it is definitely taller than my old service 1911 sight.

3. Any recommendations on purchasing the optional tie-down kits? Do they help to hold your pants up? (One of my interests in a shoulder rig is because my shape is becoming increasingly pear-like and a belt holster is helping the natural tendancy my pants have developed for a southward drift.)

4. I live in Florida and the fact that I'm having a hard time finding one suggests that there isn't much of a demand. Any thoughts on why this might be so? I mean, it is the "Miami" Classic, after all.

5. I owned a custom-made holster for another pistol once and had trouble with finish from the holster rubbing off on my shirts. (Refer to #4, above. We sweat down here.) Does anyone have any observations on the MC?

6. Any and all additional information is appreciated.

Larry
Old September 2, 2014, 04:49 PM   #2
lwestatbus

Still Looking for Responses

I had posted this thread well over two years ago and did not receive any replies. For a couple of reasons I really want to up the horsepower of my CCW to my 1911 and for a couple of additional reasons I'd prefer a shoulder holster.

If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry
Old November 1, 2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Frank53

I know your last post was a couple months ago...but figure I'd chime in. I bought the Classic II...had not used a shoulder holster for any real length of time..but a long road trip was coming up at the time and figured that would ease the pressure off my right hip.

Some thoughts on the holster...first off, very well made. Decent leather and the holster itself fit both of my model 1911s. (Both SA..one a full size, the other a Champion).

Getting a comfortable fit was a challenge. Didn't really know how much to have the holster hang under my arm. But after some adjustments, got it where I wanted it. The "Chicago screws" that you have to adjust are sorta a pain but like anything, work with them.

The open magazine pouches work fine. The mags fit tight enough in there not to fall, yet can be pulled out for a reload with no issue.

I had no issue with anything rubbing off..but I wasn't wearing it in the warmer climate of Florida...(I'm in SD)

To be honest, its a decent holster and maybe I'm just use to carrying either OWB or IWB but I would catch myself adjusting the gun over the shirt/jacket or whatever I was wearing...maybe cause it was just too new a way for me to be hauling around the pistola.

Hope this helps..
Old November 2, 2014, 10:28 AM   #4
boondocker385

I have a Miami shoulder rig....get the tie downs....keeps the holster and mags from bouncing ariund.

Adjusting it is a two person proposition. ....makes it easy to get it right when someone is looking and helping to adjust.

I use mine at least once a week. I have another that is modified for other weapons that also gets used regularly. ...they leave marks on white shirts if you sweat.....they wsh out but kind of a pain.
Old November 4, 2014, 12:32 PM   #5
JimDandy

The other difference in the magazines is horizontal or vertical. The one has straps over the magazine because they point down and gravity/vibration would eventually dislodge them. The one that doesn't the magazines point out, and friction will hold them in.

Are you built like Chris Christie (2 foot arms, 4 foot belly), or Shawn Bradley ( 4 foot arms, and two foot chest)? Reaching across my stomach is bad enough for the firearm, reaching across for a magazine that doesn't stick forward would be even more difficult.

Tags
miami classic , recommendation , shoulder holster