The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1
MSD Mike

Bullet fit and leading

Hey there, this revolves around my persistent desire to eliminate leading in my revolvers.
I have a question on bullet fit in revolvers that I would like some opinions on. I understand that you want the bullet to slip through the throats with a little pressure and be a little oversize when they make to the forcing cone. For example, I have reamed the throats on a couple of my .357 revolvers to .358 and the barrels slug at .357 so I think I am ok there. I have some commercially cast bevel base 158 GR. SWC’s that measure .359. When you try to push them through the throats the sharp edge on the front of the bullet catches on the edge of the throat and it is very difficult to start them in the throat from the chamber. It seems as it this might damage the bullet when firing and maybe strip some lead off causing gas cutting and leading. If I run one through a push through .358 sizer it goes through the throats just like you want it to but I haven’t had a chance to shoot any like that yet.

So, to make a long story short, in you all’s opinion/experience can having a bullet .001 larger than he throat damage a bullet enough to cause leading even though the barrel is .001 smaller than the throat like it supposed to be?

Thanks
Mike
Old August 28, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
GP100man

NO , if they`ll chamber ok the throat will take care of the rest.

The only problem foreseeable is the front driving band catching on the begining of the throat . But I bet ya don`t see sizing marks on it ???
Old August 28, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
Hey there, this revolves around my persistent desire to eliminate leading in my revolvers.
You didn't say where your leading has occurred. Leading can be the result of many things, it isn't solely due to bullet diameter.

A really good reference can be found here.

On some of my revolvers, cutting the FC to 11 degrees and enlarging the cylinder throats eliminated leading with the correct hardness bullet driven at the proper velocity with the right burn rate powder. On others there may be light leading, but lead can be quite easy to remove if you have any using the correct tools. A Lewis Lead remover or a some strands of a copper Chore Boy wrapped around a brass brush does wonders after soaking overnight with Ed's Red (or Kroil).

A hard bullet driven too slowly, or a soft bullet driven too fast will lead. Just other things to consider.