The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 20, 2016, 03:16 PM   #1
Fuzzymaster

HPA

If the hearing protection act ever becomes law, would the price of suppressors become more affordable, besides the 200. tax. ?
Old January 20, 2016, 08:58 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Don't bet on it. I doubt if the makers could supply the increased demand, for some time, so prices could even rise for a while.

BATFE could not ramp up approvals without shifting budget and priorities, either. Don't expect them to defer actions on the Administration gun orders, either, to do so.
Old January 21, 2016, 01:07 AM   #3
raimius

If they completely came off the NFA, then probably...but that is pure speculation.
Old January 21, 2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Fuzzymaster

Wishful thinking. If I could skip the 200 tax, I would buy one regardless
Old January 21, 2016, 06:58 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Yeah, if the prices were much lower, I'd consider the $200 tax as the cost of doing business and go get one, but they're running $750 or so here. If that was $150, the tax wouldn't mean as much.

I'd also like it if the $200 tax got you an omnibus suppressor schedule or something, so when it wears out I can replace it, or add another one, without paying another $200.
Old January 21, 2016, 09:11 PM   #6
Technosavant

I could see some cheaper ones.

Due to the NFA hoops we must jump through, suppressors in the US are basically heirloom quality. You won't find many that aren't carrying a very long (if not lifetime) warranty. If you're going to wait for months and pay a $200 tax to get one, you want one that will last and preferably one that's as useful as possible (can be used on multiple guns/calibers). Nobody but nobody will bother with suppressors from a company with a reputation for cans that don't last.

Take that away and yeah, I can see manufacturers deciding to cut some corners and make cheaper ones. Even that oil filter adapter will become popular and more widespread.

Still, though, I don't think you'll see many... people will still want some baseline of quality. Maybe reduction in the paperwork required to deal with the things will drop prices somewhat.