The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 16, 2009, 08:51 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Flipped flag for distress.

I am sure many of the people at the Columbus Tea Party saw the US flag that was flipped indicating distress.
As a partner in a small business that primarily services other small businesses I was struck by the image. Many of my clients are being forced to lay off employees. Sometimes they only have one or two employees that are nearly family, but with revenue down 50% or more and their reserves decimated by the stock market failures they have little choice. NONE of the small business owners I have talked to are receiving or expecting ANY help from this bailout/stimulus.

Doesn't this warrant a distress call?

If you own a small business and don't like the way the government is going consider flipping your flag. If you do not have brick and mortar location get a magnetic flag and put it on your work truck. Use this symbol to let people know that your business is suffering b/c of government policies. That if the government continues as it is, small businesses, the foundation of our communities, will not continue as normal.

ANd if you agree, pass the word by mouth. Not everyone is well enough informed to come here for all the news
Old April 16, 2009, 08:56 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is unfortunate that in today's "America", an inverted flag is considered disgust at least and ANTI-AMERICAN sentiment at worst Few realize it was ever a call for help while under attack or distress. It is more a way to burn the flag without setting it afire.
Brent
Old April 16, 2009, 08:58 AM   #3
CowTowner

You Really Want To Do That?

I'm sorry, but after going through Cub, Webelos, Boy Scouts and 4 years on active duty in the U.S. Army, when I see a flag "flipped" or flown upside down, I call the local police department.
I don't think I'd like to draw the attention that particular distress signal is supposed to draw unless it was for good reason.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 16, 2009, 09:13 AM   #4
orchidhunter

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property. orchidhunter
Old April 16, 2009, 09:26 AM   #5
B. Lahey

If you think high unemployment, a locked up credit market, and some administration policies you don't agree with equals "extreme distress", you are seriously in need of some perspective.

We have it good compared to lots of other times in American history.

You can fly your flag however you want, or even burn it for all I care, but it's overly dramatic and uncalled for at this point. It makes you seem like a screeching dimwit with no sense of history, but if that's what you want to be, knock yourself out.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:10 AM   #6
jfrey123

It's being done mainly as a showing of symbolism. Yes, it was an official distress signal back in the days of horse riding cavalry and the World Wars, back when radios were still experimental communication. This was the most effective way to broadcast for help back in the days of low technology, and was really for use where bases are in war zones or on foreign soil.

Now a days, computers and radios have replaced the Pony Express riders who would carry messages for help. The military has no official use for an upside down flag as a distress signal, and civilians using it for the symbolism is practically the last use of it. I'm ok with it myself.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

This isn't really a Law or CR issue and seems to be an attractor of negative comments.