The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 24, 1999, 04:47 PM   #1
sjones

Bought a new bisley 45 colt,went home to load up a batch. was using r-p brass, cci-300 large pistol primers, leadcast250grain rnfp. primed about 30 shells. the primers were below lip of shell,fired one to use as a check on my powder against my scale,so i wouldn't have hole in bottom of case. after fireing,cylinder locked up and could not cock hammer. had to manualy turn cylinder and was very hard to turn.primer appeared to be bulging out from lip of case. i cchecked with straight edge and it was. you could see a gap between ruler a case. what did i do wrong? i guess i will have to buy a box of store bought and see if it still does it. any help will be appreciated. thanks
Old July 24, 1999, 05:09 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, let me be sure of what you said. If I understand correctly, you fired a primed but not loaded case. The following assumes that is the case.

This is normal. When a primed case is fired, the pressure from the burning primer compound pushes the primer back out of the case, but there is no pressure in the case to push the case back over the primer. The primer stays back and results in what you experienced.

Jim
Old July 24, 1999, 05:12 PM   #3
freefinkelmann

If I am reading you right... You fired a primed case...correct? If so, the reason it locked up is that without a charge and bullet in the case, the case never gets a chance to push itself back to reseat the primer after firing due to lack of pressure. I know this because I did the same thing with my .357 once.

Hope this helps or answers the ???.

------------------
lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
Old July 24, 1999, 05:13 PM   #4
freefinkelmann

Jim,

Boy you got fast fingers.

------------------
lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
Old July 24, 1999, 07:35 PM   #5
sjones

TO ALL: when I fired the round it was unloaded completely,only the primer was in it. I thought I did something wrong or something was wrong with the gun. I did the same thing when I started loading my 9mm astra,but that was an auto and didn't have that problem. this is the first single action that I have owned.I plan on loading 6 grains of unique and a 250 grain ledcast rnfp for awhile to get used to it. If that was all it was ,then I'll get started loading. thanks everybody. sj